1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Barton on the future

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

He was a really bad appointment. Yep, bad judgement from Wael and anyone else who advised him.

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I did!

Bluebaldee, MassiveAttack and Saf like this.
  3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Club statement:

With regard to Manager Joey Barton’s court appearance by video link this morning, the Club has been informed that the matter is proceeding to trial and is therefore sub judicial.

Accordingly, the Club is unable to make any further comment other than to quote the Crown Prosecutor this morning who said “this is a victimless crime. No one has made a claim of assault”.

Following the weekend’s publicity and today’s court appearance Joey is taking a few days personal time to be with his family. Clint Hill will therefore lead the team for tomorrow night’s friendly against Havant and Waterlooville.

4. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Is Clint Hill any good?

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

This is an appalling statement by the club. Only quoting the line “this is a victimless crime. No one has made a claim of assault” like the club are trying to belittle the incident. The club clearly have no knowledge of the term 'victimless crime'. The word ‘victimless’ here means the victim is not supporting the prosecution by giving evidence. This is common in domestic violence cases where the victim’s feelings for the accused can mean they are reluctant to give a statement. The CPS feels there is enough evidence to gain a conviction in spite of this.

Therefore Barton has obviously done it but his wife for whatever reason doesn't want to pursue it (very common in domestic cases) and it's down to the prosecutors now to prove he has done it - which Barton today pleaded not guilty for.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

No managerial experience whatsoever. But should know Barton's idea's inside out.

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

8. The Great Gashead

The Great Gashead Active Member

The club seriously need to be bought up to speed with the definition of victimless crime. Barton MUST be suspended NOW to give Rovers any credibility. That sounds awful as it sounds like we only care about the club.

Considering testimony from others who have been in a violent relationship they feel trapped unable to speak up. Also if there are children involved in the relationship then there is a real fear that the situation could negatively impact their family life. Now if safeguarding and wellbeing are bought into question, the courts will usually act swiftly to remove them from possible harm within a violent situation.

9. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

pretty good in the Dirty Harry movies

10. years ago

years ago Active Member

One report suggests that his wife did not call police or make any accusation.
    Bristol news continues to be an insult to journalism by today on the Rovers page with the edition on the internet they must have had 6 photos of Barton and comments re this weeks arrest
    I did not support Barton and also I did not support us getting rid of last season new boy but I have to accept both
    I would not be surprised if Barton is found not guilty on both events, the we should perhaps be able to talk and support the gas

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Letter from Wael to the fans....

Dear Gasheads,

I have been here with you now for nearly five and a half years. I hope that through that time you have seen and felt my passion for this club, my openness with supporters and my understanding of the emotions that you feel on a day-to-day basis.

We have a diverse fanbase, as was celebrated in our recent kit launch campaign and all supporters are welcome at The Mem to enjoy watching our club together.

However, the past four days have been tough for us all and I have seen first-hand that there is division within the fanbase which is not what we want heading into a new season.

Firstly, I think it is really important to confirm that as a club we stand firmly against any form of violence. Any individual that is found guilty of any such offences will be dismissed immediately. I understand the concerns expressed by a number of you. However, in line with the basic principles of British law, it is my view that you are innocent until proven guilty.

I have seen and understand the response to the statement that was released last night. Given that this is a legal matter, what we can and can’t say as a club is heavily restricted. That said, I think it is important that some context is given to the comment regarding victimless crimes as I know that has caused some distress. The phrase is a legal term referring to cases in which the victim is either unknown or has not made a complaint/engaged with the police enquiries. We in no way meant to belittle charges of domestic abuse.

I know that this may have been misinterpreted in the statement last night and I wholeheartedly apologise to anyone that was offended.

As has been well publicised we are partners with the team at HerGameToo and continue to play an active role in supporting that initiative. Furthermore, before we were aware of this issue we agreed last week to support a Domestic Violence campaign which we will continue to do heading into the new season. In addition, in 2018 we partnered with the Southmead Project who provide free counselling and support for survivors of abuse and addiction across Bristol and surrounding areas. All of these causes are at the heart of our football club and we will continue to do all we can to support those in need.

This period will have undoubtedly strained relationships, however, I hope that we can retain your trust and confidence as we look to continue to build the club and support our wider community.

I hope that you can all join me in getting behind the team this season, we need your support now more than ever.

UTG

Wael

Club President

Bristol Rovers Football Club

12. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

"Firstly, I think it is really important to confirm that as a club we stand firmly against any form of violence"

Then why the **** did you employ the most violent man in professional football in the first place, you sodding clown????

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Exactly what I said....

Bluebaldee likes this.
  14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

How about this line.....

"I have seen first-hand that there is division within the fanbase which is not what we want heading into a new season."

He would have known that hiring Barton was going to create division. He talks about not wanting this before we start a new season. But we also didn't need/want division while trying to fight relegation either but he chose that though by hiring him.

old timer likes this.
  15. The Great Gashead

The Great Gashead Active Member

On top of that we (as a club) are well within our rights to suspend him pending judicial outcome. If found guilty then he can be dismissed without further warning as gross misconduct and bringing the club into disrepute. However if he is found innocent then he resumes as manager unless he determines his position is untenable then he is within his rights to terminate his employment without further remuneration and without prejudice.
    I find it incredible that Wael can have been so blindly led into installing Barton as manager then to be held to ransom to bring in his own “Team” only to drop out of L1 into L2 and to let go around 20 players (some with serious potential) and to bankroll him to build a new team. What was the difference between Tisdale and Barton? Both bought in mid term having to fight with no leadership or experience, both bemoaned the situation. Tisdale a respected lower league manager who would have probably done a better job of L2 and a wealth of experience got sacked and Barton then got the chance to build…..why? Because he’s a big name in football for all the wrong reasons and everyone at the club was starstruck that we could entice someone of his supposed caliber which would put us on the map. With the crap of the last two seasons and now this I’ve had enough. My money stays firmly in my pocket unless the club do the right thing for once.

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Also did you spot he said "... before we were aware of this issue we agreed last week to support a Domestic Violence campaign...."?

So he claims he only recently found out within the last week. This situation happened on 2nd of June. If it is true that he found out only last week, 6 weeks after it happened, then Barton should be in trouble for this too. An employee should have to tell their employer if they get arrested. I honestly don't believe he only just found out. I think it is a case of the club trying to not look bad. But if it is true then Barton should get into trouble for not telling Rovers after it happened.

old timer likes this.
  17. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I completely agree CJS.

I was prepared to give Barton a chance despite my misgivings about his thugishness, but so far he's managed to get us relegated without any kind of fight, dissed previous managers to cover up his own failings and now he's got two court cases for violence hanging over him. And of course, the fan base is completely divided and pre-season is disrupted.

If Wael really means what he says about dismissing individuals found guilty of violence immediately, then he needs to cut his losses and get on the phone to Keith Hill right now.

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

May sound far fetched here but I would literally take Scott Murray or Tinnion over Barton.

MassiveAttack likes this.
  19. EGLL Gas

EGLL Gas Well-Known Member

Steady on CJS !!!!!

I know feelings are running high, but that idea is only 1 step away from wanting the cockney spiv or little Lee !!!

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  20. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Lee Mansell would be my choice for the new manager

Wins under Barton 3 Court appearances 2

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021