1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Barnsley v Hull City

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Sir Cheshire Ben, Nov 5, 2021.

1. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

Yesterday it was a good relief to get 3 points after such a dismal run, going into the international break it must give everyone a lift, Regarding Barnsley they looked a poor side, even so they could have got back in it with that missed header which better forwards in this league would have scored. However we looked has though we had loads of chances, broke well and most importantly it keeps us in touching distance of them above. Let’s see how things go over the coming weeks.

2. AmalCarb

AmalCarb Well-Known Member

Hail the victory and savour the moment.

Turkey for Christmas anyone..

Allam’s OUT.

johnbo likes this.
  3. Shark Sports

Shark Sports Well-Known Member

Maybe but Barnsley were dreadful & probably the worst side in the league.

Even so, we still should have gone behind. We're fortunate Devante Cole is utter garbage but we can't be giving anyone free headers 6 yards out. Yesterday papers over the cracks but nothing more.

I don't like seeing any of our lads injured but Lewie's injury gives Josh a run in the side. I think JE's exclusion has puzzled everyone as he's clearly the better full back at this level with the better attributes.

4. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

Sod the win, it's not as important as the performance and process according to Terry

Gone For A Walk likes this.
  5. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

6. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

TIGERSCAVE likes this.
  7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

8. GEvans76

GEvans76 Well-Known Member

9. kingstontiger

kingstontiger Well-Known Member

A lot of our games this season defined by fine margins and felt yesterday was the same. We had started quite well but without looking much like scoring and if Cole hadn't missed that sitter it might have been very different. If we'd gone a goal down, they would have got a lift and our heads might have dropped and crowd turned less supportive. But they missed it and we went on to play pretty well. Midfield the difference for me yesterday. All 3 played well and Honeyman is just huge for us - never hides, always linking play up and somehow seems to make our 3 forwards seem less isolated. Will this start a turnaround? My fear is that GM will think that his decision to start Magennis and Wilks contributed to the win, rather than us winning despite them being off the pace, which is how I saw it. Against better teams than Barnsley , can't get away with only one Championship level forward.

CANADATIGER likes this.
  10. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Indeed, I took a couple to the Penrith FA Cup match, and let them off after our win. Best example of crowd segregation I've ever seen there, it was an old iron latticed bed base bolted to two posts!

steverico and Tickton Tiger. like this.

11. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

Our front 4 ( 3 plus Honeyman pressing) works against poorer sides but we can't get away with it, and Wilks doing **** all, against better sides. Far too much room in the middle for better opposition to exploit. I thought Magennis was alright to be fair (as did HDM). but Wilks was atrocious again - something is just not right with him atm.

12. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

You're right.
    Even last season though we were at our best when we scored first. Soaked up the pressure and were good on the break. We haven't been in the lead too many times this season. In fact from memory every time we have, we won and then went on to score at least one more and almost all were on the break.
    And it's ironic we practically played last season's XI. Just shows how bad our recruitment was. We had better attacking options in the squad coming off the bench last year.

13. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

The boy has made a big mistake and has done the right thing by handing himself in(He'd have been identified fairly soon anyway).Hopefully the child it struck is fine,not scarred for life and the lad who did it receives his punishment and learns from it.

We all(or most of us anyway)did stupid things at that age.

14. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Magennis put the cross in from which Honeyman eventually scored.

Kempton likes this.
  15. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

I may be in the minority, but I dont agree that JE is clearly the better full back. I think we have two good performers there. Whoever plays there receives little support from Wilkes, and I think defensively, Coyle edges it for me. He is the more solid, a 7/10 every game. Despite our struggles and numerous defensive mistakes, I don't recall any from Coyle. JE played well yesterday, even then though there were a couple of times he was out of position, which could easily have cost us.
    JE is the more skilful and does look as though he has plenty of time on the ball, and shades it offensively.
    Coyle clearly has good leadership skills and in a team that is sometimes lacking that, I would start with him. Whoever is picked at right back isn't the source of our problems and I would welcome hooking Wilks and playing both in a 442 (but we know that will never happen).
    BTW, what is Coyle's injury?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  16. kingstontiger

kingstontiger Well-Known Member

I think you're right, I was being too harsh on Magennis who did indeed have a big part in the first goal. Still personally think that Eaves, despite his limitations, is more mobile and causes more trouble for opposition defenders and through his presence creates more second ball chances for the other strikers. We've had the issue for a while now that whichever of them starts, the one who comes on as sub always seems to look more dangerous!

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Club Statement

The Club is very disappointed that the thoughtless actions of an individual attending the game at Oakwell on Saturday led to a young Hull City supporter being injured.

Bringing pyrotechnics into a stadium is both dangerous and illegal and we are working closely with South Yorkshire and Humberside Police to ensure the perpetrator is dealt with in an appropriate manner.

We will not allow the behaviour of a mindless minority to spoil matchdays at the MKM Stadium, or elsewhere, for the vast majority of our fans who just want to support their team loudly and proudly.

MingofHarlem78 likes this.
  18. jhe10

jhe10 Well-Known Member

What, by making them take multiple free kicks?

RayVonn likes this.
  19. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I wouldn't disagree with that, Emmanuel is more suited to wing-back and Coyle a full back, so under this rigid 433 Coyle does just shade it for me. Having said that, I am not fussed which one plays as it is very close between them.

CANADATIGER likes this.
  20. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

This hasn't half been overblown. It was a smoke bomb. People on Twitter and Facebook are calling for lifetime bans and someone even suggested a GoFundMe page for the child who it hit. Getting hit by a thrown object is never going to be nice, but it seems like SYP have deliberately spun it as a vicious attack leaving a kid maimed, simply because it was a smoke bomb, or flare in their words. There was far more trouble at Huddersfield but no one said anything.