1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Barnsley v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

That's an opinion. I don't agree, Vyner having played in midfield is a fact.

Shocking decision for the penalty, looked like a collision to me, nothing more, we were seeing the game out easily.

Oh well unbeaten after 5 can't be sniffed at.

2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Let's stay positive because it seems like we were robbed and yet still stay unbeaten. It will be interesting to see the penalty call later today but whatever my opinion doesn't count. Lack of defence for their first goal and a dodgy call at the end of the match doesn't mean we are failing but rather just one of those days. Keep up the good work Dean!

3. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I agree, these things happen in football, I felt sorry for ODowda because he looked as good as he has ever been since joining in his cameo.

We improved beyond all recognition in the 2nd half, everybody improved even Paterson (although nowhere near his best) Weimann was much better, Hunt and Rowe were much better and Bakinson took control of midfield again.

We were comfortable and probably deserved a victory, however we had a few chances that maybe we should have taken, Holden was spot on with his substitutions again.

4. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Great to hear the positives and I notice that both Diedhou and Massengo did not get on the pitch which has been a beef of mine for some time.

5. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the penalty decision again.
    On one look it seemed O'Dowda just jumped at the player, so reluctantly I think it was, albeit, a harsh penalty. Especially as it was right on the edge of the box.
    Shame as O'Dowda looked bright when he came on but if you give a ref a decision to make......

6. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

O’leary 7 Didn’t really have a meaningful save to make (like Bentley at Forest) but his handling and calmness is impressive.

Hunt 6
    Poor first half, improved second half, took his goal well which bumps him up from a 5.

Vyner 6
    Does have a habit of going to sleep at important times, like the first goal, like most improved 2nd half, his versatility (centre back, full back and midfield) is going to make him useful now Kalas is fit.

Mawson 7 A rock at the back again, looks the part, would love to see him on a permanent.

Moore 5 I maybe being harsh on him but, I thought he was sloppy throughout, mainly with his passing, I think he misses having Kalas next to him.

Rowe 6 Another poor first half but improved greatly for the 2nd half, he is a good pro.

Weimann 6 Very poor first half, but it was no coincidence his improved 2nd half was instrumental in our improved performance.

Bakinson 7 Felt sorry for him first half, with Weimann and Paterson not at the races, he was overworked, but had a terrific 2nd half, got a little lucky with his goal, I thought he should have laced it a la Hunt, but alls well and all that, a real talent indeed.

Paterson 5 A few inspired moments and great defensive block in the 2nd half but incredibly wasteful in possession.

Martin 7 The guy is everything Diedhiou is not and will never be, he is a footballer with a brain, his set up for Hunt’s goal is evidence of that.

Wells 5 Cannot criticise his effort but his first touch today was poor, he had a couple of half chances that you would expect a striker of his quality to take on with his first touch but went for 2 touches and lost control, I don’t know if it’s just me, but I don’t think he looked best pleased at being subbed.

Whatever Holden said at half time had the desired effect and the midfield took control for most of the 2nd half. His substitutions were spot on and I felt especially sorry for ODowda over the penalty, he really did look sharp during his cameo. Never a penalty in my view, just an unfortunate coming together.

7. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Worst performance of the season and yes was a pen O’Dowda just jumped into the player.
    But would have taken this start for first five games.
    But the next four are going to be tough.
    Going to need a step up on the next four games all extremely tough.
    Boro-Norwich-Swansea-Bournemouth.
    Kalas definitely needs to return at the back for Vyner who looked sloppy today.

8. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

correct he just jumped into the player and was a pen.

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Seen it again, and haven't changed my opinion, it's a definite penalty.
    O'Dowda wasn't even looking at the ball.

10. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm agreeing with @Redprintt and @Red Robin but its a penalty all day long. It's a real shame because COD was looking good before that and for one unlucky mistake the Neanderthals are out again slagging him off

11. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Then I am surprised that for such a 'pre meditated' act he wasn't even booked.

12. Loathsneyd

Who said anything about it being pre meditated?

13. Red Squid

Red Squid Well-Known Member

It was certainly naive. An unnecessary challenge.

Clear penalty for me. We would have wanted one if the roles were reversed.

14. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

If he wasn't even looking at the ball (as has been suggested), but was looking at the player, then if it wasn't premeditated it has to be most certainly reckless, it would certainly be putting the player in danger.

Not looking at the ball rules out careless and puts it firmly into reckless

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• charges
    • jumps at
    • kicks or attempts to kick
    • pushes
    • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
    • tackles or challenges
    • trips or attempts to trip

If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
    • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
    • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

15. Loathsneyd

so not premeditated then

16. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

9 refs out of 10 would have given a pen IMO.......demonstrates the fine margins.....one mistake costing us 2 points....but hey ho we keep going.. Still undefeated..My glass is half full <ale>

17. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Just for clarity.

then if it wasn't premeditated it has to be most certainly reckless, it would certainly be putting the player in danger.

18. Loathsneyd

I was questioning your use of the word premeditated, you have now changed it to reckless, which is your interpretation, obviously the ref saw it as careless, doesn't make it any less of a foul and ergo a penalty

19. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I haven't changed it all, I have said it can only be one or the other. It cannot be careless if he was looking at the player and not the ball and still went in the way he did. A bit like making a left turn without looking right. Ergo he made a premeditated decision to go into the challenge regardless.

So he should have at least been booked.

Anyway all history now and as the prem shows us even those adjudicating VAR are pretty much clueless when it comes to bringing fairness and consistency.

20. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Not a penalty (apparently) 34518234-8851163-image-a-14_1602973341402.jpg