1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Backroom Staff

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, Mar 16, 2021.

1. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

So, we're all aware we now have an ex-Jack working as coach to Big Mick.

Previously we had Warnock with his trusted crew too.

There's also been much debate within football about the manager v 1st team coach type role etc.

This Beeb article throws a decent insight into the impact a good coach can have on a team and (in this instance) how good man management needs to extend beyond just the players but into the whole football structure really (ie. Have trust in the people you employ. A mantra that too many managers in all walks of life fail to grasp in my opinion).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56298826

clingo and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Before discussing the key topic, buried in the article is reference to a goalkeeper who has scored 131 goals.<yikes>
    Some of the strikers we've had didnt get that many career goals.<steam>

Its a good topic for debate. As there are teams on the pitch, there are teams off the pitch, as there are teams in most businesses.
    One of the things I strove for in managing teams was to create the environment for the team to perform. Allow the team to do their job, set the vision, keep the $h!t away from them and remove any obstacles. With a team of good people, the rest looks after itself.
    I used to keep a 'little black book' of people I'd worked with and would use it to source team members for new projects. Tried and trusted.

clingo likes this.
  3. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on Remote, couldn't agree more.
    I've never had the pleasure of formally managing a proper team but have always striped to try create the right environment when in supervisory/team lead type roles where colleagues can work unhindered yet know support and guidance is there if required.

Over time you begin to build more faith and trust in some individuals than others and clearly that's why managers such as Mick and Warnock go back to the tried and tested teams I guess.
    It's funny though that in situations like that, if/when things go wrong you start to see fans making comments about "yes men" etc. when often, due to the Trust and history the individuals have it can be quite the opposite and heated at times because they all know that they can be honest in their opinions without worrying about repercussions.

I do think however that a manager (or coach) should end their power at just identifying their transfer targets and then leaving the negotiations to others within the club.
    There's a tricky line to walk between data driven targets and that old school gut feeling about players as well.
    I think that's where the coach v manager argument comes from.
    Interesting minefield to walk through eh?

ccfcremotesupport and clingo like this.
  4. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Built and managed a few management teams over the years.
    Another thing to remember is where the buck stoops. With you.
    If a member of my team cocked up, my fault. Im responsible for the team, and if they mess up, I could have managed it better or put better controls in place.

As for yes men, I once got recruited in to a team by a guy to work in London with a big client who I'd had stand up rows with. Everyone thought I was mad.
    Talking to his right hand man, the reason he wanted me on board was two fold. Firstly, Id stand up to the client, secondly, Id keep him honest and challenge him back.
    Healthy tension.
    6 months in we had a superb working relationship. 20 years on, we're still mates.

Quite a few football / rugby management set ups have strong characters in them with the odd bust up (behind closed doors).