1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Back four

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by fulhamish1977, Aug 12, 2011.

1. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

After a fairly low key summer on the transfer market so far, I'm expecting the starting XI against Villa to have a pretty familiar look to it. There are the usual question marks in midfield of Sidwell or Etuhu, and Dembele or Johnson alongside Bobby. Surprisingly, given our strength in that area, it's at the back that I'm not sure what to expect. Assuming Hangeland's fit he starts at CB, with J-A Riise at LB. Then it looks like two from three of Hughes, Senderos, and Baird.

Has Senderos started most of the pre-season games because he missed nearly the whole of last season and needs the matches, or are we looking at a new Hangeland/Senderos partnership in the centre of defence? I'm not convinced by Hughes at RB - he can do a decent enough job defensively but doesn't offer much going forward. For me, then, it has to be Riise - Hangeland - Hughes - Baird.

What do others think - apart from the fact that we need to sign a right back?

2. Craven112

Craven112 Member

i think i would prefer the Hangeland- Hughes connection at CB, looking back over the last 10 years or so who has been out best RB since Finnan left i cant remember a RB who was consistant in defence and going forward, Pantsil was good but still suspect at times,

3. Cottagecravens

i cannot understand why he'd change the 2 CB's unless he feels Baird is the week link. This makes me think Hughes will start at RB.

4. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Back four IMO:

Hughes---Senderos---Hangeland---Riise

5. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Predicted XI:

---------------Schwarzer--------------
    Hughes---Senderos---Hangeland---Riise
    Dempsey----Murphy-----Etuhu------Duff
    ---------BZ-----------AJ---------------

6. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Which was the start up against Split and of course Jol's preferred 4-4-2. So I suspect you are correctin your prediction, WDWW. It makes me nervous though -

1. we'd be very vurnerable in midfield
    2. even more so at RB
    3. when playing 4-4-2 we are very predictable and lack a plan B (maybe ok in early Euro games but dodgy in the prem.)

I'm sticking with Tosh from the other thread and believe our best formation is 4-2-3-1. It worked well in our best year ever (2009/10) and not at all badly last year. Basically more flexible whether in attack or defence.

7. WhatDoesWoyWant?

I'm not to sure about the right back either, I would play Briggs

8. frogman27

frogman27 Member

MJ seems to like Senderos at centre back. For me Hughes and Hangeland is tried and tested, they have an almost instinctive partnership that comes with playing alongside each other for so long. That said, Senderos, is captain of the Swiss team and is an accomplished player. He will always be remembered for being the Zat Knight of Arsenal, but he was also a very good defender most of the time. The partnership of Senderos and Hughes will need time to develop, but ultimately, I would suggest that Senderos may be the better player on the ball. For this reason MJ will try to integrate him into the team. I have not seen enough of Hughes at right back to be able to honestly comment on his ability to play there, but judging by the comments on here, he does not look too comfortable, although he too may need time to readjust. Whether Senderos or Hughes plays at centre back, or if Hughes or Baird plays at right back, we will still have a solid back 4.

As for the formation, 4 - 4 - 2 will be used. I am not so sure we will be vulnerable in the midfield. BZ will drop deep when we do not have the ball to support and AJ has been working his nuts off when defending from the front in pre season. As for a plan B, well we have been playing 4 - 5 - 1 for the last few seasons so the players could change if needed.

Tomorrow we face a good Villa team. They have some quality going forward, especially with N'Zogbia, but losing Young and Downing could really hinder them. Defensively last season they were pretty suspect. However, with McLeish in charge you can be sure that they will be more defensive first and foremost. I would expect a draw in the worst case, but would not be surprised if we walk away the 3 points, match fitness may be prove too much for them. Whatever the result, it will be brilliant to get the season underway and watch another new era start for our club.

COYW

9. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

A wee worry is Hangeland's injury - his leg was heavily stapped earlier in the week and he hasn't trained.

The problem with 4-4-2 and the current squad is exactly that Bobby plays too deep.

PS Simon Davies is due to return to training next week.

10. Khadrim

Khadrim New Member

I tend to agree with everyone else. Hughes and Hangeland. Why break up such a resilient partnership? And if Baird doesn't cut it as a RB in Jol's eyes, I don't see how Hughes is an upgrade in that position.

11. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

The pairing of Messrs H & H is a proven one that ought to be the first choice. With Senderos as reasonable cover.

Hughes at right back makes not a great deal of sense to me.