1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Awful though unsurprising statistic.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

2. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

When I saw this headline I just knew someone would say this. The club need us and they know it. All revenue is ultimately based on having fans. No fans No club

BobbyD and Libby like this.
  3. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah supposedly part of the reason the PL is so popular the world over is the fans in the stadium creating a good atmosphere (lol) coming across on TV. If it turned into the Italian league for example with half full stadiums then the TV deal might go to a (much better anyway) league like the Bundesliga, so it is in the clubs interest to keep the stadiums full.

The main thing to take away from this article for me is that clubs could just give tickets away if they wanted to as the money made from ticket sales is irrelevant. They should massively cut the cost of tickets. Of course they won't because economics, but it is a nice thought anyway.

Libby likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The upside of it is that clubs with smaller grounds who make it to the EPL can still remain solvent. Teams like Brighton fill their grounds but would struggle if they totally relied on that income. I agree that it does give clubs an opportunity to at least maintain current prices....no increases justified. And to do offers like the £5 quid for kids that Saints did for the Burnley game.

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Do you mean Bournemouth Fran? Brighton have a similar sized stadium to us.

There's absolutely no reason for ticket prices to be as high as they are.

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  6. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I was trying to work out how stoke had such a low match day income compared to us with a similar sized stadium, especially since we should have had more tv money based on performance. But they do seem to have quite low season ticket prices.

7. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Actually just as we did in our last twenty years at the Dell..................A capacity of just over 15000 after they introduced seats only....we managed it quite well and would have had a bigger ground a lot earlier if we had taken up the speedway guys offer all those years ago. The board then had their head in the sand much the same as we have now...................

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think our cheapest average out at around the fifth most expensive in the league...

9. fran-MLs little camera

Really....thought their stadium was smaller.
    I sit corrected. :)

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think it is slightly but (without checking) it's only by a thousand or so.

11. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Just had a look, it’s 30,750 , must admit I thought it was about 23,000.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Saw what you did there :emoticon-0105-wink:

Libby likes this.
  13. Libby

Libby 9-0

When they opened it in our championship season I think it was only about 24k or so but was always going to be extended and think they did it a year or so before promotion.

14. Archers Road

Still haven’t been to Brighton’s ground yet. When is this season’s visit?

Edit; just checked. 30th March

15. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Issue is supply is limited and demand is always high so the price can stay high. If they reduced prices for away games that would be sensible IMO. At reduced prices though the shortfall of tickets between supply and demand would become even more. Imagine Old Trafford which I assume sells out almost every week, if they reduced price demand would increase and only way to combat shortfall is to expand and that would have to be financially/practically viable. This is to utilise the fanbase so they don't miss out on too much potential income.

Plus it's effectively asking the clubs to reduce income for the benefit of additional welfare for fans, when they know ticket sales will still be as high with the prices high. It will only work if the prem subsidises tickets IMO, as I can't see clubs adopting Swansea's model.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Went last year and its a ground well worth visiting, thought id hate it being out of town but it actually works really well. Especially as they leave the outlets for food/drink open after the game so you can hang around after the game and wait for queues to die down if you wish (I did).

Like how it looks too as it's quite unique with its different size stands.

Undoubtedly the best new ground I've visited <ok>

17. Archers Road

Will definitely try and make it in March.

Was looking forward to going to WHL in December, but perhaps not now :emoticon-0105-wink:

Libby likes this.
  18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Away ticket prices have been reduced recently, the twenty's plenty got them down... to £30.

As for the bold bit... football without fans is nothing <ok>

19. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Not only are prices higher and higher, the match day service seems to get worse and worse. Longer queues at the bar/toilets etc.

I’m much happier now I’ve made the decision to watch games from Home actually. I always thought id keep a season ticket for life, but now I don’t really feel it’s worth it for me. The money I save is now used for away days to watch big clubs in Europe with mates :)

20. fran-MLs little camera

The concourses do seem to be too small....though I suppose they were constrained by the size of the plot. Not too bad before the match when some supporters are in the bowl or may not have arrived, but murder at half-time. In the Kingsland, anyone leaving the exit of the ladies toilet has to fight through the queue to get in, but even worse that queue is interspersed by various queues for the kiosks. Add into that people coming the other way to join the end of the ladies queue and you have absolute chaos.