1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Atletico Away

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StanDMan, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Brilliant result and performance. Nothing more to say. <cheers>

2. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Just read this on the BBC gotta laff encha.

"Morata was loudly booed on his return to Madrid following his goal, having signed for Chelsea from Real, but he continues his impressive start for the north London club."

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  3. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

just went through the highlights. great game. What an effort from Eden in the first half.
    He was tired later in the 2nd half.

Morata is immense. Batters has caught on to the positive influence of Morata.

tell you what, no one - no one has the right to do that in the final minute of injury time. Disgusting skill & composure from Conte & co. take a bow. Especially away against one of the best Defensively organized unit like Atletico.

Massively deserved victory. Could've Should've been 0-4 to us.

But,

Cescy's best contribution was missing open goal from 3 yards out. Nando will be proud of that miss <doh>

Thibo was very underwhelming. Not just for the Pen, but for crosses and that save around 45mins when he parried straight to his old mates for an impeccable assist <doh>

Went to twitter to suggest to clean up his act. Guess what, his media team has blocked me FFS!!

First time ever, I agree De Gea is better than Thibo. GK is another area we could / should improve a lot.
    Especially if we have to win multiple titles. De Gea has kept Manutd in top half for the last 4 seasons straight.
    Always thought thibo could surpass De Gea, since Thibo is playing in much better 11. But that doesn't look to be possible.

Hope I am wrong.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  4. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

Fantastic display and result. Having beaten one of the finalists in previous years in their own back yard is impressive.

Last nights display showed grit, quality and progression. Dare I say it but a new era has begun a Chelsea. We all knew the Jose days were long gone but there's something very different about this team.

Bullet tooth Tony likes this.
  5. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Outstanding Blue team get your case of beer for that! Sets us up nicely for the crunch game against Citeh.

6. The Ginger Marks

Agree absolutely! The whole team and Conte put in a shift tonight and things are looking up, Alonso was fab and Morata was always a threat along with Edin.

7. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

This game could have been the final. What a result, what an atmosphere, I watched the game live on BT Sport with the stereo on. I wish I could have gone to that game, the new Athletico stadium looks amazing.

My Mrs remarked that the Batman goal was just like one of the well worked first half goals that Burnley scored against us on the first day of the season. Roll on Saturday and Manchester City.

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

De Gea has been a cut above Thibo for a long time. He's always been the better shot stopper and the only thing Thibo had above De Gea was he's far better at commanding his box and anticipating and catching the cross.

Since that horror season of 2015-16, Thibo has stopped coming for crosses and whilst he pulls off some good saves here and there, he is no where near De Gea in terms of world class saves. Still though Thibo is class (although he love to parry) and you know he is consistent and isn't going to flap or let in a soft goal so no need to change. Just needs to be braver at coming for the ball.

A great performance by the team though, was ecstatic when we won. The defence was solid and we looked decent on the ball.

If theres one criticism is that Bakayoko needs to get better on the ball

9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Looks like Courtois is poised to become Stan Da "fan"s next Scape Goat of the month.

Let's face it, Courtois is not, and has never been, as good as De Gea.

De Gea is the best GK in the world probably.

Courtois is very good, and would be in the top 10 (along with Lloris, Neuer, Cech and maybe Pickford)but De gea is better.

GK isn't an area we should be concentrating on improving, at all. Courtois is fine.

10. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

I always have constructive criticism for Thibo. If he is not reading then it is fine.
    He could be lot better. He needs to stronger with his command especially with our D.

We are susceptible every time from crosses set pieces. Major risk.

Like I have said, he has no motivation or challenge in club & country. He is untouchable unfortunately.
    That needs to change. Only way for him to improve.

11. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Stan old buddy, I don't see your point of criticizing Courtois in a game that he only conceded from the spot. He had next to nothing to do, and managed to do that well, the entire team need to be congratulated on a fine, nay, fantastic display. I was going to praise him for the improvement on his kicking, but somehow you managed to find a negative in what was one of the most impressive displays from a Chelsea team since we won the Champions league. Criticise all you will, but it's all about opinions and I have had mine. Kudos Stan,

12. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Abu's Thibo was so close to putting Atletico 2-0 up right before HT.

Awful parry from Thibo under no pressure, straight to Koke or Saul.
    Mignolet will be proud of that.

That would have been game over. Fine margins.
    I don't trust Thibo anymore.
    He is not even half of what he was when he was at Atletico.

Like I said, kid has no competition, no motivation thanks to awful Country keepers & our backup keeper.

Last season you need more than 2 hands to count the number of times Cahill (yes), berated Thibo on the field for awful decision making.

Thank fcuk we have Kante size midfield & Baka on top of that.

13. The Ginger Marks

Is he your new Mikel Stan?

14. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Ugh ffs

15. The Ginger Marks

I've just watched a complete re-run of the game and if I was critical of any one individual (which I'm not) it would be Luiz. A fantastic perfomance by a team who knew they were the best team on the night...Perfection!

16. chelsea - over 100 years of history

See this is why Stan D Moan pisses me off, he manages to bring everyone down after our most impressive C.L performance in years. <laugh>

Such a negative nancy.

Gareth1808 likes this.
  17. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

So Thibo = Everyone? <doh>

18. chelsea - over 100 years of history

'Everyone' as in the forum users.

I just fail to see why you even need to bring any negativity into that team performance.

In fact, I'm starting to think you're just on the wind up.

19. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

No INhave to agree, in part, with Stan. Thibo was a bit suspect. You'd expect s keeper of his quality to not party a ball straight into thenonrushing attackers path. Even the commentators said as much.
    He has no competition which is part of it but really who can we get who's good enough to push him? We had Cech but you can't keep a world class keeper on the bench.

StanDMan likes this.
  20. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Yeah he could have done better on that one incident but to question him as a keeper is laughable from Stan. He's easily one of the best in the world and probably still has his best years ahead of him. I'd say there is only really Neuer and De Gea who are definitely better and a few others who are similar level.

No one I can think of has 2 world class keepers on their books so the no competition thing holds no water for me.