1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Aston Villa vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

<laugh>

No jinx tbh. It's not like you're lucking out on results, or that you even look like wobbling. It's the consistency that deserves a nod tbf.

Funny thing is I'm not even that fussed because you deserve it.

Diego likes this.
  2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Like I said, the Arteta revolution has begun. I think from the start we've seen what he's been trying to do, and whilst it's definitely a project and there's been bumps along the way, he's stuck to his plan and it's beginning to show real dividends.

If we can get Top 4 this year it will be a major achievement to go from where we were last year, in what was Arteta's first full season and with everybody writing him off as a rookie who was out of his depth

Pep's cone layer I recall him being called

not on here btw

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well in a way we can learn from what you've done. Tbh not finishing Top 4 could be a blessing in disguise for us in the long run. Including focusing on bringing through some of our U21's and building a more balanced team. Sometimes you have to ask what's the point of aiming for CL footy if you're not ready to compete in it? I think you're doing it the right way tbf.

Diego likes this.
  4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yeah I'm defo willing for you lot not to finish in the Top 4 <laugh>

Man Utd look rudderless atm and they have for a while tbh.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'd go further and be quite happy for us to finish outside the Top 6. Worked for you lot <whistle>

We've had a welcome change in the structure at the club recently and I think we're heading in the right direction.

It'll be interesting to see what Arsenal do in the summer? I'm not sure the squad as it is can push on with league and CL footy.

Will it be about adding depth in the squad or buying starting XI players in key positions like mf?

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

If we do qualify for Europe, which it looks like we will, either CL or Europa then we are going to need to significantly strengthen the squad. Because we are really light at the moment and there's no way we could sustain a challenge in both the Prem and Europe with the squad we have.

Arteta has done most of the hard work of clearing out the deadwood and building a first XI that can challenge, and we're in good shape to add to this squad as a result.

CF is a must, or a forward that can play across the front three. I'd like to see Martinelli played down the middle personally as I think that lad is going to be untouchable in a season or two. He just needs to work on his final ball, but his finishing is already top notch and he's only going to get better.

We also need another CM, back up to Partey and Xhaka and an upgrade on Elneny.

We should be bringing Saliba back from Marseille, so that's another CB. We also have Rob Holding who's decent back up and I can see Tomiyasu being used as a CB, which could see us bring in another RB or wingback who can play on either flank, who offers us more of an attacking threat.

Treble likes this.
  7. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just a point I wanted to make on this - aside from Nketiah not being at the required level, he’s made it abundantly clear that his intention is to leave the club. He’s rejected two contract offers. He has no desire to be an Arsenal player and isn’t part of our future.

So why does Arteta keep giving him minutes?

If he was even somewhat effective as a sub, then I would understand it (even if I don’t agree). But he’s not. He’s weak, has poor technique, can’t trap a ball, isn’t good aerially and struggles to make 5 yard passes. He was falling over his own feet at Villa Park.

Would it not have been better to give someone like Omari Hutchinson more minutes?

Nketiah offers no real value on the pitch unless we’re playing a lower level team in the cups.

TheBear and PINKIE like this.