1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Aston Villa v Cardiff City, Fug Me...When Will This Stress Come To My End?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Well we just have to win this one pals, think we’ll just do it...and go on to secure second place! Just too much money at stake to blow me now! Cornelius will become a target when we start to pursue new recruits for The Premier League....one for the future! :emoticon-0103-cool:

Cardiff City travel to face Aston Villa on Tuesday evening in the first of consecutive away trips...

Steve Bruce’s side return to Villa Park following their 3-1 defeat to Norwich City at Carrow Road on Saturday afternoon. That result saw them remain in fourth, seven points behind the Bluebirds.

What to expect from the Villans…

A 3-1 win over Reading at the beginning of this month is Villa's only win from their last five outings. Consecutive defeats at the hands of QPR and Bolton Wanderers, along with a stalemate at Hull City, made for a disappointing end to March for Bruce's troops.

However, that form would have come as some surprise for the Villa faithful, with victories over Sheffield United, Bristol City and Wolves since the turn of the year - plus a Second City Derby win - all showing their appetite for a big game.

Winger Albert Adomah currently sits at the top of the Villa goal scoring charts with 15 strikes to his name - five more than his closest teammate, Conor Hourihane. The Ghanaian international's form on the flanks saw him named in the EFL's Championship Team of the Season, alongside Villa centre-half John Terry.

Robert Snodgrass has been another standout performer this season, finding the net on seven occasions. The West Ham loanee has also racked up an impressive 14 assists – the joint highest total in the league.

In the hot seat:

Widely regarded as one of the finest English players never to receive an international cap, Bruce won 12 trophies over almost a decade with Manchester United in his playing days, becoming the first English player to captain a side to the League and FA Cup Double in the 20th century.

This summer will see Bruce mark 20 years in the dugout, having first taken the reins as player-manager of Sheffield United in the 1998/99 season. Now in his ninth managerial job, the 57-year-old has been promoted to the Premier League on four occasions - leading Villa's rivals Birmingham City to promotion twice (2002 & 2007), before repeating the trick with Hull City (2013 & 2016), who he also led to the 2014 FA Cup Final.

Previous meetings…

Aston Villa were City's first opponents as a professional Club on 1st September, 1910, as they were welcomed for a friendly match to mark the opening of the newly-built Ninian Park. Lord Ninian Chrichton-Stuart ceremoniously kicked off - famously wearing a bowler hat - before the Villans recorded a 2-1 victory.

In more recent times, the Bluebirds first home league game of the 2017/18 season saw Neil Warnock's men host Villa, and record a resounding 3-0 victory. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing starred and netted twice, with Junior Hoilett also on the score sheet for the Bluebirds.

That was City's second consecutive victory over Villa, with Joe Ralls settling a tight encounter at CCS in January 2017.

Club connections…

Current City no. 3, Joe Bennett, spent four years on the books of the West Midlands side, making 38 appearances in all competitions, in between loan spells at Brighton, Bournemouth and Sheffield Wednesday.

Peter Whittingham began his professional career with Aston Villa, making over fifty appearances between 2003-2007. He then moved directly from Villa Park to Ninian Park, going on to score 96 goals - and provide 91 assists - in 457 appearances in a City shirt.

Other players to wear the colours of both sides include Gerry Hitchens, Riccardo Scimeca, Rudy Gestede, James Collins and Ross McCormack

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Jay-Rede likes this.
  2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Hmmm, slightly off topic but Cornelius v. Madine - discuss.

Jay-Rede and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  3. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

I have to be honest, I like the look of Madine...big physical presence! Will come good I am sure. The captain was at fault for the penalty debacle....he should have taken control about who the penalty taker is! Morrison out! :emoticon-0103-cool:

4. BluefromBridgend

Lol!!!!

Have to agree Masky. Although he had been on the pitch only a few minutes, Pilks has shown he can quickly get into a game. He was warming up for bloody ages. All ifs , buts and maybes, aunty, bollocks and uncle, but Pilks should have been the man.

Morrison out. Are you outing him? That could explain the nature of his banter with the Derby players. <whistle>

For me the jury is still out on Madine. Have seen him play for other clubs at Cardiff and not been impressed. He did well at Bolton, a struggling side, but has not yet hit any form with us and missed some sitters. Okay he has taken some tough knocks too but that's what he's paid to do. We really need to see some end product from him, I.e.goals. At least he's played more minutes for us than Cornelius ever did. <yikes>

5. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Forget about the last game where nothing came right and every team has one of those......I still fancy Cardiff to finish 2nd i really do and dont worry about Fulham as you have no control over them but you do have control over yourselves, So regroup and play to your potential which is better than anyone when done right....

Jay-Rede and BluefromBridgend like this.
  6. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

And he only cost a couple of million less! <laugh>

From the TV pictures it looked like Pilks didn't want to take either of the penalties.

7. BluefromBridgend

Nice one Dai. <ok>

8. BluefromBridgend

Hadn't seen those Sheepy. So was it a case of step forward who wants to take the pen and 10 stepped back leaving Madine in his own?

That being the case then Hoilett was a bit thick getting caught out for the second one.

9. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Masky you forgot my favourite - Willie Anderson signed from Villa in 1973 - 126 appearances / 12 goals. Also going the other way in 1974 was Leighton Phillips who had made 180 appearances / 11 goals for the Bluebirds

10. Blue Sheep

I think that Zohore was the designated taker but in his absence there was a fair bit of confusion. Pilks hasn’t been on the pitch long and for whatever reason didn’t feel confident enough to step up to take such a pressured spot kick. In fairness to Hoilett, he was right on the spot as soon as the 2nd one was given. My take on it, please feel free to suggest other views.

When was the last time we had a spot kick? Bloody London buses <steam>

11. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Zohore never completes a game, primal Donna! :emoticon-0103-cool:

12. Blue Sheep

In fairness I don’t think you’ll see many lone strikers complete the majority of their games (unless there is a change in formation). Tough job!

13. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

Still bloody nervous!!!!

14. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Key battle?.......Gunnar on Grealish again.

Can't wait to see the show pony get dumped on his arse.........<laugh>

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Quote in the Birmingham Mail today..............

"When Sol Bamba and Co hack Grealish down this evening he’ll grin and bear it, before turning away and plotting their downfall.

Grealish is an entirely different player to the one Warnock met in the tunnel last season, and he’ll be out to prove it tonight."

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Jay-Rede likes this.
  16. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I am relatively stress free.

The Wolves result, the Fulham Wendy result, the teams remaining fixtures, Madine or Mitrovic, our abysmal sky displays this season, our continued bad luck/carelessness and my resignation to the play offs and more disappointment have left me in a state of calm for tonight’s game.

17. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

It's alright for some. I'm bricking it.

ninian opinion and Jay-Rede like this.
  18. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Tough job pal? Listen, I was 22 years down the mine, on a pittance...just enough to buy pasties for the 22 kids, dressed in wellies and underpants....dirty I was too...that’s a tough job! :emoticon-0103-cool:
    <party><party> I’m out now!

19. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

So what are the odds tonight? Just had a look and City are 11/5 to win it with Villa as favourites - had to have a punt on that.

Also looked at the Villa stats - noticed they're very vulnerable to set piece goals this season so............

£20 @ 11/5 to with the game
    £10 @ 15/2 for Morro to score
    £10 @14/1 for Bamba to score

There it is - 40 quid on - let's see what (if anything) comes back.

20. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

2 changes. Grujic for Bryson. NML for Wildschut (he doesn’t make the bench).