1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: The Championship - As It Stands Right Now | Football, Championship

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by BillysStatue, Jul 29, 2011.

1. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

So we have clubs flexing some muscle in the transfer market, others not so much. As it stands, how will the promotion race for Prem riches pan out? Well, let's look at the contenders:

Leicester City - spending far too much money for a small club at this level, serious wages being paid, now at financial risk if they do not go up. The pressure on Sven will be massive. He has two squads to keep happy, and that alone may well have a negative effect on his plans. There are going to be players who EXPECT to be playing every match, others who will resent the endless list of new signings coming in. The fact that Sven has literally signed a new squad to add to his existing bunch does not guarantee a thing. Will the Leicester brigade actually perform as a TEAM? Will so many players with ambition be happy sitting in the stands week in, week out? Prediction: Trouble in Paradise, who knows where Leicester will finish? Anything from first to last.

West Ham - they still have loads of talent available, and I expect they will be very strong this season. Allardyce is an experienced dog in this fight, and he does know how to get his players bonding and working hard for each other. There hasn't been widespread panic at the Hammers, and as long as there isn't a firesale of players they will be okay. Prediction: Favourites.

Blackpool - the key question is how long will Holloway last? Will he have the stomach for a promotion battle in a very competitive league, or will he get edgy and pick a fight with his Chairman before punching someone and quitting? Pool will really miss Charlie Adam, and they haven't exactly replaced the players they have lost. They seem to lack the tools for a sustained Championship battle this time around, the difference being that last time they went up they came from nowhere and weren't fancied, so there was no real pressure. Now they enter the fray as one of the Prem teams, and everyone will want to beat them. Prediction: On the fringes of the play-offs at best.

Birmingham - the implosion of the ownership at the club has left them reeling financially, they are haemorrhaging players and their financial security is not guaranteed. It must be tough for some of those League Cup winners to rock up at training only to see another empty parking space as the squad is broken up to reduce the massive wage bill. Debt will be the key focus this season, and there is even the danger of a flirt with relegation if they are not careful. Prediction: Lots of dark clouds and gloomy faces, top ten if they stop selling.

Reading - very good manager, this lot play as a team, and on their day they can destroy anybody. A real threat if they find some consistency early on. Very solid little club. Prediction: Play-offs.

Forest - some very shrewd signings, a good manager...this team will surprise many. The Tricky Trees will be hard to beat, and at home I expect they will get positive results to help their cause. Their successful campaign will add pressure to the Leicester club. Prediction: Promotion via play-offs, automatic not out of reach.

Burnley - a bit of an enigma, the Clarets rely a lot on Turf Moor, and if they begin to get results away from home they will push for a seat at the end of season party. Prediction: Play-offs....maybe.

Leeds - very good campaign last time out, expect to see the Whites improve on their position and grab a play-off berth. Nunez can be the surprise package this season in the same way Gradel was last. Snodgrass will once again be invaluable, and a fit Kisnorbo will help to steady the defence. At least there are now TWO 'keepers competing, so expect a bit more consistency between the sticks. The squad does look a bit better than last season, at least there is no Kilkenny or Hughes to kill Leeds for pace. Becchio does need to stay fit. Prediction: Play-offs....just.

Southampton - danger, danger, danger. Adkins is a good manager, they have a talented squad, and they are used to winning. A real threat, Saints will go very close this season. Prediction: Play-offs.

Brighton - they have spent money, are moving into a new stadium, and have a hot manager. This team will upset many this season, and may just be the dark horse that comes from nowhere late in the season. Prediction: Mid-table...play-offs if others lose their way.

Cardiff - their make or break season. The Bluebirds can't afford another failed promotion campaign or the bailiffs will have their way. No Bellamy to inspire them this time around, but still a very difficult team to beat. Prediction: Play-offs....maybe auto.

Millwall - will once again claim a few scalps, but inconsistency will see them lose to lesser teams and destroy their chances of promotion. Who will get their goals for them? Prediction: Top ten at best.

Coventry - they will struggle, and although they should really be a club pushing for promotion, it doesn't look like happening for a while. No money, no quality signings, their better players leaving every season, things look a bit bleak right now. Prediction: Mid-table and a possible relegation battle.

Watford - good club, but will miss Malky. Strange managerial choice, don't expect them to make an impression. Prediction: Mid-table and a possible relegation battle.

Middlesbrough - they will remain an average team struggling for a top ten place. Money now becoming a serious issue, this is a very important season for them, but the big prize will elude them and condemn the club to many seasons in the doldrums. Prediction: Mid-table.

For all the other clubs make up your own minds. These are the clubs EXPECTED to normally be there or thereabouts, with one or two surprises. The only thing that is guaranteed is yet another exciting season in the BEST league in the world by a long way. Make no mistake, this is a seriously competitive division where teams actually go out and play to win each week. Not to be confused with the Premier League, which is the BEST PAID league in the world....even though 12 of the 20 teams are genuinely no better than the top ten in the Championship. Roll on opening day, what a mighty season we are in for.

2. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

i reckon your pretty spot on, i reckon we can be contending for autos but might end up in the play-offs, i disagree with you on cardiff though, i think they will be a very average team

3. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

A reasonable assessment BS but I believe Cardiff and Man City are in talks about Bellamy and he looks set to return. I would say play offs for them because I think West Ham & another will make the auto places.

4. Clivetime

Clivetime New Member

I think you're being a bit unfair on Holloway. I'm not his biggest fan and wouldn't want him at Leeds, but he's already taken Blackpool up, almost kept them up, and Barry Ferguson is a great signing.

5. Josh-LUFC

i think they've lost a few of there better players and they will need time for the new manager. Bellamy didnt have that great an influence as everyone says he did, hes not that good of a player if you ask me

6. Clivetime

Clivetime New Member

He was good enough to destroy us.

7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

No mention of Ipswich....

Leeds in play offs, what are you on?

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

You've lost several players and done almost no business on new players, I don't see you getting into the play-off's in a more competetive Championship and you haven't a prayer of the automatics.

I agree with Spanish, Ipswich will be in the mix, I also think you're underestimating Boro, they finished strongly at the end of last season and I expect them to build on that in the coming season.

You've also missed Hull, who have signed Brady(Man United), Dudgeon(Man United), Evans(Man United), Hobbs(Leicester), Gulasci(Liverpool), Basso(Wolves), McKenna(Forest), Adebola(Forest) and may well sign Ayala(Liverpool) and possibly Pusic(Rheindorf Altach) next week, we'll definitely be in the the play-off mix.

9. Que Somma Somma

Hot and cold predictions, I think we are weaker this term.

Schemichal is better than Rachubka and Lonergan
    Johnson is better than Brown
    Kilkenny is better than Clayton
    Somma and Becchio injured

3 signings needed to save our season

10. I used to be john fallen

I used to be john fallen Active Member

very well balanced ,un biased assessment..especially regarding LCFC...all that effort just to put us down...well done.<laugh>

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not a bad assessment, I think Leeds will struggle to make the playoffs and I believe Ipswich will be in the mix.

12. Josh-LUFC

i also believe ipswich to be in the mix but i think leeds will make play-offs

QSS, you embarass leeds fans....

13. Pull Your Fox Up

Pull Your Fox Up Active Member

Please...no more! Your killing me with laughter!

14. Josh-LUFC

lol, i am just dying to see leicester fans faces come christmas, it will be so hilarious, really it will. Then i can show you guys my gutted face

15. Pull Your Fox Up

Pull Your Fox Up Active Member

Im a realist and am under no illussion that our team's performance is firmly in the dark currently. Im excited yes, but apprenhensive. I was commenting on just how ridiculous your dillussion that you will challenge for a top 2 spot is!

If you think LCFC fans are being 'big headed' etc...then perhaps you should take a look at yourself first! Absolute nonsense!

16. Josh-LUFC

i am ambitious when it comes to leeds i admit and it is easier as fan of another club looking in but let me tell you as fan of another club looking in sven has signed crap players. Again apart mills, everyone one of them has really been a waste of money and even mills cost you far more than you shoulda paid for him really. we dont need to buy many players because we want to keep the core of the team and add to our weaknesses which we are although we have been a little lethargic in the transfer market however leicester have done a complete overhaul and added a squad ontop of a squad they already had. We need a LB and i expect us to bring ina CM as well i honestly believe if they are quality signings that is us complete in the transfer market and we are good enough to put a challenge on top 2 maybe getting it maybe missing out and getting play-offs either way i believe we will be up there

17. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Hull point has been made with the "lots of signings" bit - how long before they play as a team? Ipswich do not convince me at all, they will need some help from other contenders to get to the play-offs. Also, its not just the team that matters, but the environment. Boro struggle to get 15000 in, and it just looks like a miserable place right now, not great for motivation. As I said, Blackpool's season depends on Holloway staying the distance, and it was a tongue in cheek comment about him blowing up...although its also not beyond him. Leicester clearly are the club under most pressure. They MUST deliver promotion this season, and I genuinely fear for them financially if they fail.

18. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A bunch of real quality players there...

<laugh>

Just above midtable for you, maybe with a sniff of the playoffs till march <ok>

19. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

The only club that can actually be confident for the coming season are West Ham. They have the best manager and best team by a long shot.

The thing that is great about the Championship, is any team can end up in the playoffs. It wouldn't be a surprise to see any of those mentioned in the top 6 and likewise to see any of the favourites have poor seasons.

Leicester have signed some overated players, but also some good ones. Whether they will bond or not is another thing.

Ipswich...have a poor squad. They signed a few good players, but still have mostly the same threadbare squad from the last 2 seasons. I can't see them getting playoffs.

No one gives Leeds enough credit. Whenever a Leeds fan says that we can challenge for promotion, some other team's fan will say we are being unrealistic. We have 1 of the best wingers in the league in Max Gradel, one of the technically best footballers in the league who could easily play for about half the teams in the Prem in Snodgrass, Luciano Becchio hit just about 20 goals last season and can be reliable to do the same, Howson hit 10 goals last season, AOB was playing Premier League less than a season ago, Kisnorbo back to full fitness will improve our team so much, and the 2 keepers we have sign are reliable regardless of what people say. Not to mention Nunez is potentially a star of the season.

We have a better squad than Hull, Ipswich, Burnley, Birmingham etc. and all the rest of the potential playoff candidates.

20. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Please name these "several" players we have lost. As I see it we have sold 3 first teamers and replaced 2 of those with better. I'm getting sick of clubs banging on about us selling loads of key players when we've done nothing of the sort. Our squad is currently stronger than the one which was unlucky to finish 7th. Don't listen to QSS, he's an idiot.

West Ham are definite for Autos, we're play-offs with an outside chance of automatic along with a few others aswell as a few more who think they might have a chance at play-offs.