1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: PNE v Notts County | Football, Preston, Notts County

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Aug 24, 2011.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

83 minutes of pap only two shots on target from either side in that time. McLean's towering header and Turner's towering clearance won the day. Whether we deserved it , doesn't really matter 3 points again from an indifferent performance.

2. theflyingplumber

I can fully undertsand your thinking and conclusions maclad, but I couldn't agree that it was 83 minutes of pap etc....<ok>

Today's teams :

PRESTON: Turner, McLaughlin, Carlisle, Coutts, Proctor, Nicholson, McLean, Mayor, Parry, Alexander (capt), Mellor

Subs: Hume, Tsoumou, Barton, Clucas, Arestidou

NOTTS COUNTY: Nelson, Kelly, Sheehan, Edwards, Pearce, Bencherif, Hawley, Lee Hughes, Jeff Hughes, Allen, Mahon

Subs: Burch, Demontagnac, Stirling, Judge, Montano

As was expected Conor Mc came in at right back with McLean replacing the injured Devine in the centre of defence (his natural position).

Another decent gate 10700 for this home fixture and one that should increase if PNE can maintain their winning form and position at the top end of the league.

Surprisingly PB changed from his usual 4 3 3 formation to a 4 4 2, leaving striker Hume on the bench and replacing him with Mayor who played wide midfield.

Northend started the game with a good tempo playing some decent football with Conor Mc linking up well with Danny Mayor who threatened the Notts defence. PNE continued to play good football but much of it was over elaborate with too much passing sideways and back again, with no end product or real goal threat. PNE seemed reluctant to shoot and and on the greasy pitch it was well worth having a go from outside the box but they didn't and made hard work of things. Notts County put in a very workman like performance and proved to be stubborn opponents throughout the game making life difficult for PNE, Hawley the ex PNE striker probably went closest to scoring in the first 45 minutes.
    As the first half wore on PNE became more and more frustrated and the very poor match officials didn't help by refusing to let the game flow and also making some very poor decisions. PNE had gone into their shell a bit much as they did in their previous home match and when half time arrived I think that most fans were glad of a breather, hoping the second half would provide more excitement than the first. It didn't unfortunately and Notts County had the better of things untill about the 50 minute mark PB decided to make a substitution bringing Hume on to replace Mayor and revert back to a 4 3 3 formation. PNE continued to huff and puff without really threatening and Notts also made a substitution who made a difference for them resulting in them going close on a couple of occasions. All was to change though when PNE worked up a little head of steam with Procter driving a daisy cutter at the Notts goal which produced a superb save from the keeper. Not long later PNE gained a corner and a very good cross from Parry produced a stunning headed goal from McLean that delighted the rest of the players and the supporters alike. In the closing minutes supporters witnessed the rarity of seeing a keeper score a goal, when Ian Turner gave a long punt out of his hands down the field with Mellor in pursuit the Notts keeper came part way out and stopped. Turners long punt took one bounce and despite the Notts keeper making a valiant attempt to retrieve the situation,the ball went over his up stretched arms and into he net. It was game set and match and PNE had taken all three points even though it was not one of their better performances.

I thought that the back four were solid again with Turner looking more relaxed and less nervous, but the outstanding player for me in the team was Parry who is staking a claim to make the left back position his own. Parry as already mentioned on another thread is a rejuvenated player since Phil Brown arrived and he appears free from those persisting injury's, when Smith is fit there is going to be real battle for that left back position unless PB decides to play Parry as a wide left mid fielder, that could be interesting.
    Conor Mc did well enough on his return from serious injury and showed that he has lost none of his potential. McLean slotted into the centre of defence alongside Carlisle and formed a formidable partnership.
    Mellor and Proctor both ran their socks off from start to finish and can't be faulted for their effort, but both of them should be having more shots on goal and creating more of a threat.
    Coutts didn't have one of his better games and gave the ball away on frequent occasions, but the midfield to me is still too lightweight and we do not have a real ball winner.

Not the best of games that's for sure but teams coming to Deepdale in this division are all doing their utmost to smother Northend and sneak the points.
    It is still work in progress for PNE and the signs are still good, and when you don't play all that well and still win then it is the sign of being a decent team.
    I hope that Daley signs for PNE and he is as good as everyone hopes, because a player of his type is needed IMHO.

:)

3. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

thanks for the report plummy, unable to go today :(

4. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Also thought Parry was excellent, when Smith fit would be tempted to play him in his normal position on the left wing.
    Conor Mc solid game, McLean better in his rightful position.
    Procter struggled today IMO but County were a well built side(if you get my drift)
    Mellor gets some stick however his determination to tackle back late on in the game was the turning point lifted the team and crowd.
    3 points is all that matters

5. theflyingplumber

Completely agree maclad and it is worth mentioning that when Mellor was subbed shortly before the end, he received a great round of applause from the PNE supporters. Everyone loves a trier, and Mellor has been doing that this season which most supporters can see and appreciate. A couple of goals would give his game an extra lift and get all of the fans on side.

Yes Procter wasn't quite as effective as he has been and I thought the two strikers were playing too far apart when using the 4 4 2 formation, I would like to have seen them playing closer to each other and spending less time going out wide. In 4 4 2 we have other players who can provide the width.

Notts County had a good solid defence and PNE needed to speed up their passing to get at them more, by the time PNE had got to within 10 yards of their penalty area they had all their players behind the ball. I think we lack some invention in mid field and are a tad predictable, that is why someone like Daley perhaps could benifit the strikers.

So far from what I have seen, most teams in this division are very similar and it's all about effort and commitment and closing players down. Any team with a couple of quality players will definitely have an advantage and that could well be the difference in games. I still think there is more to come from PNE who can still move up into another gear once the team is free from injury and have settled down. The season is still in it's infancy so I am not getting carried away by results and performances so far, but PNE have made a very good start and the signs are that we will be at the right end of this division at the end of the season...<ok>

6. theflyingplumber

No problem finneyfan, pleased that you have read it and i hope it's a fair summary of yesterdays game...<ok>

7. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Thanks Plumber. Objective. Martin Allen thought NC should have had the 3 points!

Daley has signed. Was he impressive?

8. theflyingplumber

Evening BarnetPNE..<ok>

Cant agree with Martin Allen's view NC came to Deepdale to make life difficult for PNE and they did, but over the 90 mins PNE just about deserved the win.
    I havent mentioned it in my above summary but PNE had two reasonable shouts for a penalty that another ref might have given. Apart from a couple of openings on goal NC were content to stifle PNE and try and snatch the points with break aways. PNE were not at their best it has to be said but it is difficult breaking down a packed opposing defence. I think most teams visiting Deepdale will play the same way as NC, closing the game down and hoping to catch PNE on the break.

I haven't seen Daley as yet, but reports by fans who have seen him play against Morecambe and Wigan were very impressed. I listened to the commentary for both games and the commentators were equaly impressed. He is quite quick and shows a lot of flair and inventiveness and loves to take players on and can beat them. PNE supporters would have been not very happy if the deal had fallen through and are delighted that he has signed. He will have to adapt to English football but I dont think that there will be any problem, as he is not afraid to get stuck in and make tackles. I look forward to seeing him play and think that he could cause defences a lot of trouble..<ok>