1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: James Traynor: Great Guy - Football, Aberdeen FC

Discussion in 'Aberdeen' started by Psychosomatic, May 1, 2012.

1. Psychosomatic

Psychosomatic Well-Known Member

Goooaaaaaaaaal.........

Aberdeen 1 Hibs 2

"Scott Vernon volleys home from close range after Gavin Rae heads the ball across the face of goal. Could that strike spark an Aberdeen revival?"

Damn straight. Latest prediction: Aberdeen 3 Hibs 2

2. RAVENBLACK

RAVENBLACK Well-Known Member

I could handle us being **** for ****'s sake.

But the boards complicity in mismanagent of the club since 95 makes me vomit wretchedly.

3. Psychosomatic

"Kari Arnason sees a 25-yard volley tipped over the bar by Hibs keeper Mark Brown - Hibs very nervy at the back; the Dons are roaring forward at every opportunity......"

A perfect time for Hibs to score a third. The tension mounts.

ER - yes. It's a very serious subject and we must all pull earnest faces whilst talking about it, of course, but the thought that you might "vomit wretchedly" feels unusually funny for some reason. I can only apologise (in a parallel universe where I'm the type of man to apologise for such things).

4. Psychosomatic

Full-time: Aberdeen 1 Hibs 2

Oh well.

Goodnight, cruel world.

5. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

I posted my own thread regarding Traynor, mine was slightly less scathing hence the reason I said that he was simply "Nailing his colours to the mast".

If there were ever any doubt that he is a Rangers' cheerleader (c) Chick Young, then that doubt was fully dispelled with his one sided view and opinion that Rangers should be spared our sanctimonious twaddle (i'm paraphrasing of course, but that's what he was driving at).

6. Psychosomatic

Yikes. I didn't realise you'd been inviting comment on his "Let's Stop Kicking Rangers To Death" article already. Sorry about that. I could have saved myself some time and effort and spewed an abridged version of my (attractive) rantings on the Celtic board, instead. (For anyone looking in, the article referred to can be found here.)

I was fairly scathing, you're right, and perhaps moderately careless at times, too. I don't feel a great deal of guilt, however, as Big Jim had been only too keen to lay the boot into us cowardly internetty folk at the beginning of March:

Integrity, honesty and the desire to call it out no matter the consequences is what defines us. Thankfully it's also what sets us apart, especially from all those 'brave' keyboard thumpers out there in the world of social networking sites and football forums. They aren't governed by the laws which must be observed by newspapers like this one and are allowed to bash out the most insane, insulting, illogical and confused messages.

I shouldn't complain, though, because it all demonstrates their lack of intellect and common decency.

Which might explain why they prefer to hide behind anonymity or childish pseudonyms.......

There is certainly a lack of integrity in cyberspace but it's honesty that persuades the editors at the Daily Record and Sunday Mail to employ their journalists in the first place. It's why they trust us to make best use of the platforms given to us.

We lack common decency, integrity and intellect, Dev, and are nothing more than insanely illogical keyboard thumpers. I can't speak for you, but I'm sufficiently gutted and chastened to keep my mouth shut from now on in. (Plus, you're going to need to change your childish pseudonym, quicksmart. Mine's fine, to be fair, with just the right mix of playful self-denigration and irony.)

I'm not saying that James Traynor is compromised, of course, merely that he gives every impression of being so. I would love to trust in his level-headed impartiality, but find such a task is now entirely beyond me. He feels soiled, disagreeably partisan and, as such, like an unreliable witness. I think we all deserve a little bit better. (Especially me.)

I begin to wonder, however, if he was maybe having a sly dig at rangerstaxcase.com, without having the nerve to go for the jugular? This blog may very well have been written by a Celtic fan, right enough, but I'm hopeful that all sensible Rangers fans will acknowledge the massive service being done on their behalf. The comments may have become rather more snide and unimpressive recently, it's true, but to read this blog from start to finish - as I highly recommend anyone interested enough ought to do - is to realise just how very badly we've been served all these years by the guardians of our supposedly free and fearless press.

7. Tom Selleck

Tom Selleck Member

If newco Rangers are allowed into the SPL I'd love to see a confederation of supporter's associations from all over Scotland march on Hampden!

I think we have all had enough of the special treatment they have always had.

8. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Carlsberg don't do eloquent rants..... Wonderfully entertaining<ok>

9. Psychosomatic

Hello Tom, that's a lovely thought. There would have to be a simply massive turnout, however, in order for there to be any impact. I can imagine lots of people saying "yeah, let's do this" and getting all excited and then it'll come to the day and there'll be a wee bit of rain or wind and we'll all suddenly be like "ach" as we roll guiltily back under the duvet. If there is no direct or large-scale protest, though, I'm struggling to see how we may ever get it into the heads of those who run the game that these things will never do. I sometimes can't actually quite believe what I'm hearing. Where in the name of Jesus did our collective morals go? Are we really so disfigured by money? It's a shocker.

Hello! Another new face on the Aberdeen boards.....I'm starting to get suspicious. A Southampton fan living in Glasgow? You must feel so far from home at times. If it truly does what it says on the tin, by the way, I quite like the look of your business. Maybe your line of work means you'll have been following the Rangers case with a special interest? Would you be at all able to set my head straight regarding Bill Miller's plans to form an incubator company? Is this doable? Or even legal? My mind fuses as I try to make sense of the whole thing.....

Nice to see a new person here, incidentally. Toot-toot.

10. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Well the article made it on to the front of the home page so a gander was definitely in order. As for my opinion on the Rangers situation I would simply point out that HMRC have been looking to make an example of a football club for some time now. They are usually quite sensible and even-handed when it comes to restructuring debts, after all, it makes sense to recover something rather than nothing for the benefit of the taxpayer but the self proclaimed football creditors rules do not sit comfortably with them and it's only a matter of time before they do take a stand on principle. Whether or not it will be with Rangers remains to be seen but, as the major creditor, if HMRC say no then all bets are off. Incidentally, seven Premier League clubs are under investigation for precisely the same issue so whatever they do here will certainly set a precedent. Miller's plans are both legal and doable (in theory) but if pressed, I would guess that HMRC are going to stand in the way.

As for my boys down south, at least I haven't missed much in the last two years <doh>

11. Psychosomatic

Good man, thanks. I wasn’t aware that there were seven English Premier League clubs under investigation, as well. I don’t know who they are, obviously, but I kind of hope they get hammered. (I’m clearly feeling mildly revolutionary today. It’ll pass.)

I hope that your hunch is right – “Miller's plans are both legal and doable (in theory) but if pressed, I would guess that HMRC are going to stand in the way” – and that HMRC do stand in the way of this ill-flavoured contrivance. It may very well be technically (and legally) doable, as you say, but I’m sure I can’t be alone in finding such a chosen route despicable. Still, you can’t sensibly blame Rangers for trying anything at all to save what remains of their increasingly disreputable bacon.

Good luck in the English Premier League next year, by the way. I reckon you’ll finish a few rungs above the relegation places, although I know next to nothing about English football so don’t be placing any bets on it. (As something of an expert in the Scottish game, however, I can safely say that Aberdeen will run away with the league. You heard it here first and last.)

12. DevAdvocate

Synchronicity? perhaps serendipity.

It's always good to have more than one thread on MSM matters, especially when we are in agreement.

13. Psychosomatic

Nice one.

And "serendipity" is a beautiful word, a favourite - just for the record and without wishing to appear too unmanly.

14. RAVENBLACK

Dev uses "synchronicity" because its a Police album.

The Gospel according to the meninblack.

15. DevAdvocate

<laugh>

He's right too.

16. DevAdvocate

By the way, it's a brilliant album.

17. RAVENBLACK

Rattus Norvegicus - never been able to drop that one in casually!!

18. DevAdvocate

Start a thread on immigrants and compare the Irish to Norwegian Black Rats. <ok>

19. RAVENBLACK

Makes perfect sense.

20. Psychosomatic

And what's the worst that could happen?

Without wishing to be stupidly optimistic, I feel such a thread may be just what this site needs. It may very well be the thing that finally unites the warring factions and brings us all together in a spirit of peace and harmony. I'd bet on it, in fact.