1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arteta could be the next Arsenal manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, May 15, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

It's his decision to take up the position at the end of the day. If he thinks he can manage being controlled by the board and being booed by the fans when things go wrong, as well as being expected to manage difficult personalities and work with a limited budget, he must have a great deal of self belief.

2. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

If rumours about the transfer budget are true then I don't think we should be expecting much from any manager

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Piss poor league? I really do'nt agree with that. Spanish League is constantly under-rated by the British. Was the Premierleague 'Piss Poor' when it was mainly fought out between Arsenal and United? Just because a League has two dominant sides doesn't mean its not a strong league.

The evidence would suggest its been as strong or stronger than the EPL.
    When you look at head to heads between British and Spanish teams over the last 10-15 years they have clearly done the better.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well I meant piss poor in terms of competitiveness.
    Really you have Barca and Real, and maybe Atletico at a push, who will challenge for anything.
    And its not just that its two dominant teams, its that the dominant teams are SO far beyond anyone else, that is destroys the competition.

Its not uncommon for a top 4 PL team to go away to a midtable team and lose or drop points.
    In Spain that doesn't happen. Anyone outside the top 4, home or away to one of El Classico, just gets battered 7-0.

5. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I think Arteta, or another young manager, would get more patience from fans than we might expect. We have been hearing ABW (anyone but Wenger) from a large portion of the fan-base for a while now, so I don't think they have a leg to stand on if they start complaining.

I think the rumours of a low transfer budget are overdone. Arsenal (and most clubs) have had a problem with the wage budget more than the transfer budget recently and we are not in terribly bad shape in that department right now.

I'm actually more worried about us losing the ability to sign top players without Wenger's personal drawing power. Without CL football as well, that is going to be a problem. For me the best part of Wenger's legacy is our strong youth set up. Hopefully that will offset our reduction in drawing power.

If we don't at least make it back into the top 4, before Ozil and the other stars contracts expire, we are going to be facing a Liverpool like mountain to climb. I think for all the fans bravado about us being a big club and expecting trophies and top4 as a right, cold hard reality has to be hitting some fans about now.

If the new man can at least make us stable in the top 4 again, and keep us playing entertaining football, it will be a substantial achievement. I just hope fans realize this. We need to show the world that it was Arsenal FC and not Wenger that was successful for all those years.

6. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

if it is Arteta, I would give him time. 3 seasons to see if he at least manages some progress. (we finished 6th so progress is definitely doable)

however, if we finish lower than 6th (or even sixth) next year, I admit I would start to seriously question whether hes up to managing a club the size of Arsenal...

7. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

We have no choice. Any new appointment will have it's risks. I'm slowly starting to think this might work

gills4prem likes this.
  8. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’ll work in my opinion.

9. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

We can only wait and see....

10. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

For years Arsenal fans cried out for change and freedom from our metaphorical Egypt under Wenger, now we have the freedom to start again. New structure, new backroom staff, new players, new manager. We are ripping up the previous blueprint and starting again. So whoever it is, we will have to get behind them.

11. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it. Exciting times ahead!

winifred122 likes this.
  12. ToledoTrumpton

Looking more and more like it is Arteta.

Going to be a whole new ball game. In the immortal words... "And now for something completely different!"

13. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

The last time we employed a unknown as manager he went on to win more FA Cups than anyone else, 3 PL titles, and managed an Invincibles team.

I remember him being announced and saying Arsene who, and thinking wtf have the board done.

Do we think AW had a hand in this and suggested they go for Arteta, or not.

Lets have some faith and get behind whoever is appointed

14. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

True, but how many times can we repeat that trick...?

I dont think AW had anything to do with this.

I would give anyone time - hell I gave Wenger many, many years before deciding he should be replaced.

But let me ask you this: how would you react if we finished 6th or lower again next season, and went trophyless? Would you start questioning arteta? or accept that he needs a few seasons to get us up and running?

15. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

I would like to think I would give any new manager 2 seasons
    This summer transfer window the first priority is sorting out 2 new CBs as Mustafi is ****e and Kos is past his best.
    Then DM - how long have all we been saying that ffs

16. TheBear

David Ornstein confirming what I previously stated about the change of management structure.

"Arsenal close to appointing boss, next week likely. Start of new continental model: head coach slots into predefined structure. Transfer targets were discussed with interviewees, pre-sales budget ~£50m "

Basically whoever comes in will be pretty much just a coach. Many of the footballing decisions will be made by Sanhelli and recruitment will be left to Minislat (I'm sure the manager will at least have a veto)

Its similar to the model Barcelona have. But alot of managers will be reluctant to take this kind of role.

17. ToledoTrumpton

I think the biggest problem the new manger has is that fans are very opinionated about the existing players.

Apart from Aubamayang maybe, there isn't a single player that has more than half the fans (or at least the outspoken fans) convinced that they are quality. I don't want to restart the debate, but if player is in whoscored's team of the season and he is one of the players with the least support, then it is going to be very hard for any of the existing players to get support, and whatever the transfer budget is, it isn't going to be enough to replace all of them.

In general the manager is going to get support, but I suspect at least 7 or 8 players are going to have to do something pretty special in the PR department to turn the fans around into liking them.

For me Mustafi, Monreal, Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Lacazette, Elneny, Iwobi, Ospina, Cech, Bellarin, Chambers, and Holding, can't all be replaced. Add onto that Campbell, Mertesacker, Koscielney, Perez and Cazorla, that presumably must be replaced, and the new manager hasn't got a lot to work with.

I think it is going to end up being more a case of fans giving the whole team/squad a chance, not just the new manager, hoping he gets rid of the players they don't like, because I just don't think he has enough money to replace even the players he has to replace.

If Wenger deserved to go, and it was all his fault, I really think we need to grant some kind blanket amnesty on the squad and give them all second chance, otherwise things could get very negative very quickly.

18. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Arteta is off, according to Marca. So we can nix that name from the list then.

19. TheBear

Interestingly - Arteta seems to have been put off by the lack of control over transfers and spending.

Be interesting to see what happens with Allegri, Emery and Nagelsmann over the next few days. Also wonder if Enrique is still a target - he still makes the most sense IMO.

Allegri would still be my first choice though. Also Nagelsmann looks like a good young talent.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  20. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

It seems that Arteta wasn’t as good as Dick in the interview!

TheBear likes this.