1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Art & Literature

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beddy, Nov 26, 2019.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Ater years of substance abuse it is good to know that he is back on the right track.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

On his last legs, I'm afraid.

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

4. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I did read this when it first came out - for some reason I really struggled to get engaged in it.

There was a BBC drama of it a few years ago - that was a bit better.

The Ides of March likes this.
  5. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I am really partial to books aboit Victorian football and have enjoyed Ian Chester's "Charles Alcock and the little tin idol" which chronicles the first ever FA cup competiton in 1871-2. The book is fascinating on so many levels , whether it is the fact that the games ended up being played in pitch darkness, the different rules or the fact that some teams got byes into the next rounds. It is odd that the Scottish team Queen's Park also played in this competition. There are some great pin portraits of the players as well as reproductions of the match reports.

I am amazed at how quickly football caught the public imagination which could result in venue like The Oval being packed. This book captured the spirit of the time perfectly and the only thing missing was the fans' perspective. I would really recommend this book which is also excellent in the way that it establishes the location of each of the matches - Maidenhead's ground is still in use.

6. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

So the first episode of True Detective season 4 was strong.

7. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I am reading a brilliant book by Martan Da Cruz called "From beauty to duty" which is aboit the history of football in Uruguay vetween 1878 anbd 1917. This is probably the ultimate obscure footballing related book ever! I am fascinated as i am addicted to books about 19th century football but it is a "must" for Saints fans to learn how pivotal the Southampton team's visit to Montevideo in 1904 was and just how the 8-1 tonking made the Uruguayans appreciate that modern football required the adoption of combination play. Southampton were seen as a model, modern football team. I am about 1/3rd the way through and am finding it fascinating.

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Here is my first contribution of 2024 to this thread.

I grabbed this book, Darkest Night by Jenny O'Brien, from a stall outside a garden centre, here in Palma. This is a contemporary crime thriller set in the towns and countryside of North Wales in which the writer makes good use of the various locations to build her story such as the remote farmhiouse near Caernarfon.

Christine has been out with a friend to celebrate her 30th birthday and gets blind drunk. The following morning she wakes up and finds the dead body of her flatmate in her bed after, unwittingly,” inviting” an unknown male back for coffee. She is taken in for questioning but released a few days later as the evidence that is provided after a post mortem of the victim sugggest she was not the murderer.

The plot thickens when there is a secoond murder so DC Gaby Darin is assigned to take charge of the case and see if the two murders are connected.

The main characters are Christine, a recently divorced woman who went out with her friend to celebrate her birthday and finds herself being questioned for the murder of her flatmate the following day. Gaby Darin, the DC assigned the case, Owen Bates, her trusted deputy, Amy the FLO, Paul de Bertrand, a headmaster of an exclusive public school and former husband of Christine and Nikki, Christine’s flatmate.

Amongst the themes written into the story, are the issues of sexism that may exist with pólice forces, deafness, personal relationship within and outside the workplace, eating habits and lifestyle, and mental health.

The book moves along at a fast pace as the chapters are very short. I think a fast reader might be able to complete it in the time it takes to travel from Southampton and Leicester by train or coach.