1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Wolverhampton Wanderers - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Too little too late?

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

YEEEES

3. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

faackin gits

4. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Wolves are a very decent side. They are a massive threat for the future.

5. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Off the post!!!

6. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Can't decide whether that was a point gained or 2 dropped. I mean, we played so poorly that we should count our lucky stars we managed to get anything out of that game. But we should be beating teams like these at home if we want to have any aspirations of finshing in the top half of the table.

7. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

1-1. FT.

Let's not kid ourselves. Wolves should have won that game by 3 or 4. They set up perfectly against us and didn't take their chances. Leno made some superb saves. Quite clearly our MOTM. Even the goal we scored was very fortuitous.

Second half was slightly better, but we still didn't create much.

Bringing on Traore, who always seem to cause us problems, when we were pushing men forward because we needed a goal, was a smart move. His pace and acceleration caused Holding & Mustafi ample problems.

That being said, Aubameyang missed an absolute sitter from 8 yards out. It was harder to miss than to score, he tried to be too fancy and flick the ball in when he should have been casual. Really bad miss that perhaps could have given us all 3 points even though we definitely didn't deserve it.

It took us 60 minutes to get a single shot on target. Which speaks volumes about how solid Wolves were defensively. The way they performed is the blueprint of how to play against us.

I can't understand why there was such a lack of urgency and aggression from the team. We just didn't seem up for it. Everyone was playing like it was a stroll in the park.

Also, today highlights why we desperately need wide players. You saw the difference in Wolves' wide players and our wide players. Cavaleiro and Costa were both quick, strong dribblers who carried the ball forward well and stretched us multiple times with their diagonal runs. We didn't have anyone that could do that, our attacking play was too one-dimensional.

Have to give credit to Wolves, though. They're no pushovers. Taken points from Man City, Man United, us and were unlucky to have not got something from the Spurs game.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

That was the worst I've seen us play under Emery. We looked like the team that had lost all confidence and ideas during Wenger's last days. I know there are going to be bumps in the road ahead as we transition under Emery, but we were utter ****ing gash today. We got out of jail big time, let's hope this is a wake up call and Emery gives them all a rocket after this.

9. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Combination of being out muscles in midfield, a very strong Wolves side, tired legs and a general leg of confidence today, I think. Couldn't have played much worse without actually losing and we couldn't have complained if we did. We deserved to.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agreed. We got very lucky today. But at least we did not lose that game.

11. BrunelGooner

The ONLY positive is that we didn't lose. That's literally it.

PINKIE likes this.
  12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Ultimately it's 2 points dropped, as we should be beating Wolves at home. That said, given the circumstances of that game today, it's actually a point gained.

13. BrunelGooner

As I said earlier on this thread, and on other match day threads, we can't keep relying on second half performances to get us wins. People joke about us being a "second half team" and it shouldn't ring true. I honestly thought the Liverpool game was a turning point for us because we were excellent over the entirety of the game. Maybe we were just super pumped for the occasion because we were the underdogs for the first time since the Chelsea game. I don't know, but it's something Emery has to fix after the international break.

We have Bournemouth away at a lunch time kick off when we come back, anything other than a win will be a poor result.

Quilllogic likes this.
  14. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

It’s games like this that make me realize two things:

1.) we are very much a work in progress and will take a lot of time to get where we want to be.

2.) ...which is why it makes me a little worried when we come out and say things like “we are skipping the January transfer window”. Surely we need to keep on building to keep on improving. There are definitely still players in the squad that don’t fit the emery style.

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Ramsey is toast, we know that.
    I think Mkhitaryan is skating on thin ice too. He doesn't put in the work rate and commitment that Emery demands

16. BrunelGooner

• Arsenal midfielder Xhaka has made five errors leading to goals since his Premier League debut in August 2016. No other outfield player in the competition has made more in that time.

That's an alarming statistic to be honest. He's 26 years old now, he can have no excuses for being so careless.

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It looked like he'd cut that **** out this season, but the mistake today cost us big time. He's been much better since Torreira came in, but Xhaka is still prone to some absolute brain farts.

18. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Can't reiterate enough how impressed I am with Wolves this season. They look like they have been playing the PL for years. I think only Manchester City have outplayed us to that degree at the Emirates this season.

19. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

This is a good thing to happen to us. Bring us back to earth and still gaining a point.

Just hope this has the right effect going forward.

20. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Pretending that **** results are hidden positives because they'll give our team a kick up the ass is how Wenger-defenders used to spin every crap result when he was in charge. Stop it now. Drawing at home to Wolves is not a good thing. It's a **** result and costs us two points in the chase for top 4. They lost at home to Watford and away at Brighton for goodness sake. They're not a good side.