1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Valencia - Matchday Thread - Europa League Semi-Final

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Apr 29, 2019.

1. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

You were saying? <laugh><laugh><laugh>

2. excel

excel Active Member

What a result can't say I seen that coming.

3. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Well done Arsenal!!! Special shout out to our front two, especially Auba!!! COYG!!!

4. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

so happy to be in the final...

but honestly we just HAVE to win it now...

I really think we deserve it, weve dispatched rennes, napoli and valencia...

5. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. Perhaps the infantile twat will now piss off

PINKIE likes this.
  6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Aubamenyang and Lacazette were ****ing IMMENSE tonight. So happy to be in the final. Been a long time since we've felt like this.

Enjoy it my fellow Gooners <cracker>

7. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

How many times in years gone by would we have crumbled when Valencia scored early on?

Immense character and resolve shown from players who have come under intense scrutiny for their lack of fight and desire. We seem to have played with a lot less fear in Europe then in the Prem.

Aubameyang had his best performance in an Arsenal shirt. Maitland-Niles had an immense second half. Lacazette was superb as usual.

I thought we were dropping too deep at times and our midfield was getting bypassed, but when you have strikers as potent as ours, on their day, no-one can handle them.

Great to reach our first European final since 2006. Hopefully we'll have a different outcome and the prize of CL football.

Excellent victory <ok>

8. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I am already extremely nervous about the final.

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Emery has clearly instilled some fight into these players. Yes we've had times where we've crumbled this season. But more often than not we've given a good account of ourselves.

Most of our problems this season have come from woeful mistakes in defence. If emery can sort that out over a couple of transfer windows, then I think he's got a team who will be able to compete in all comps over the next few years.

We've got two world class strikers and the bones of a really decent team. If we can add a world class CB and decent replacement for Ramsey, then I think we are good.

Anyway, massive incentive to win the Europa League now as you say, a European cup and back into the Champions League which will make a big impact on our transfer dealings too <ok>

BrunelGooner likes this.
  10. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

You my friend are one the reasons why we seem to celebrate mediocrity... This victory does not in anyway absolve the abject performances we have witnessed this season..... I seem to recall you were one of the Wenger apologist! So you can get lost and all!

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Okay mate. I'll enjoy this win and us getting to a European final whilst you sulk in the corner <ok>

12. BrunelGooner

You know what I find quite ironic?

Fans seemed to be more optimistic and upbeat when went 9 years without a trophy than the last few years.

For all the toxicity and gloominess surrounding the club, a lot of which I sympathise with, since 2014, this is how we've done in cup competitions:

2014: FA Cup winners
    2015: FA Cup winners
    2017: FA Cup winners
    2018: League Cup runners-up, Europa League semi-finalists
    2019: Europa League finalists

Our league performance has deteriorated, but we seem to go quite far in cup competitions.

It's interesting.

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

And one of the charges at the time was, fans didn't just want to see top 4 and no trophies to show for it.

14. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I hope you are a happier Gooner tonight. So the PL finishes on Sunday but 4 clubs have to bide their time until their finals. It is odd that they are so late.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    BrunelGooner likes this.
  15. BrunelGooner

I have to be honest, it has still been a bit disappointing to not challenge for the league or the Champions League, as this was meant to be the point of moving to the Emirates. And whilst the 3 FA Cups have been lovely to win, I would trade them all in for a league title.

That being said, considering how competitive it is now, I think we have done well to get as far as we have done in the cups.

I know they may not have the glamour of the Champions League or the Prem, and they may not provide the additional income that those competitions do, but as a fan, you still want to see your team win things and it's great that we have been winning in the last few years. They are memories that you will cherish forever.

PINKIE likes this.
  16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I just distinctly remember lots of people moaning about about us always finishing top 4 with nothing to show for it. The consensus then was that people would rather finish 5th 6th and win a trophy. We've done that over the last few years, but now it's time to build again.

Emery has done well in his first season. He had a free hit this season and nobody would have been too worried if he'd finished 7th 8th whilst he was getting used to his players, coaching staff, a new club etc. But he's surpassed that and stands on the edge of delivering our first European trophy in decades.

17. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong in that - we probably all are deep down. Let's hope the players can feel good about it.

18. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

So who starts last leauge game???

19. BrunelGooner

I also want to take a moment to appreciate just how fortunate we are to have both Lacazette and Aubameyang at Arsenal. People have called for either of them to have been sold during various points of the season, but we would be absolutely screwed if they weren't here.

We are also fortunate that Emery has found a way to utilise both of them in the team because it's not often that you have two strikers who are friends both on and off the pitch. We need to understand how much of a blessing that is. There is no ego or vanity involved.

Aubameyang has 29 goals and 8 assists this season.
    Lacazette has 19 goals and 13 assists this season.

They have both been phenomenal for us <ok>

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I am tempted to say that we should give everybody a rest before the final and play Willock, Saka, Nketiah etc. But we've got 2 weeks after the end of the season before the final so the senior players will be rested.

Also, if we're in the mood for goals the it could get interesting with the Spurs v Everton game too, as I think Everton are going to beat them this weekend. It's an eight goal GD we need to turn over and although it looks unlikely, would you bet against it given the comeback's against the odds this week ?