1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Spurs - NLD Edition

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Mar 13, 2021.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Well happy with that result. We probably should have been 2 or 3 up by the time that nervy last 10 mins came around.

Spurs were fukin gash today, but I'm pleased with our performance. We made the most of it, even if we were still a bit lacklustre in front of goal at times.

2. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I’ll say one thing -

I would try to sign odegaard on a permanent deal this summer. I like what I’ve seen from him, and I think he has much more potential as well.

Question is would Madrid sell him? And also would they take us to the cleaners transfer fee wise? (I probably would not pay more than 25m-30m)

TheBear and gooner4ever like this.
  3. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

defo would sign Odegaard or try for a second season loan.
    thought ESR and Tierney played very well today and their intro play and link up is so good.
    hope we can keep playing Odegaard and ESR in the same team

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Odegaard has been brilliant so far. He’s slotted straight into this team and his quality is obvious. He is really starting to pull the strings in that attacking role and he’s starting to score goals too. It looks like he’s enjoying his time at Arsenal too.

We should be doing everything we can to get Madrid to sell. But I don’t think he’ll come cheap. As G4E says, maybe we should be negotiating another loan deal now. The longer he’s with us, the more he’ll become and Arsenal player and the more likely he’ll want to sign for us permanently.

gooner4ever likes this.
  5. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Really hope this doesn't escalate...

But Arteta was right to punish him. I still think he was wrong to release the reason for benching him publicly, but I have no issue with laying down the law.
    Aubameyang wasn't just benched for yesterday's lack of punctuality, it was an accumulation of events. He'd deliberately missed a COVID test, broke lockdown rules to get a tattoo and then yesterday, was late for a big game, when - as our captain - should have been the first one there.

6. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

Kieran Tierney has to become club captain shows all the qualities you need from a captain

straycat_67 likes this.
  7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Why do all the pundits claim it wasnt a penalty?!
    Soo what if he miskicks the shot before getting fouled.

If a player makes a pass/shoot and is immediately then chlattered into it is still a foul.

gills4prem likes this.
  8. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

it’s the same pundits who thought that Luiz “clearly” fouled the player against Wolves to give away a penalty.
    IMO most pundits are biased towards their ex teams but I do detect double standards that apply to Arsenal in the reporting.
    If that was Gabriel on Kane then it was defo a penalty, but as it was Sanchez on Laca it isn’t a penalty.
    If Xhaka had been doing the dirty kick outs that Lamela did yesterday then they would have been screaming for him to have had bookings, but as it’s Lamela it was put down to his manner and personality!
    also not one pundit commented or picked up on the very deliberate and late barge from Kane that could have caused serious injury to our player, if it had been Luiz on Kane then there would have been uproar but as it’s our darling England captain then he can do no wrong.

Overall a great win, we could have won by more, but no injuries and we move on.
    A shoutout to Oliver the red, thought handled the game well, knew it was a derby and gave players plenty of warnings before booking them and I don’t know how Holdjberg was given 5 warnings before booked, but heck we actually had var agree to our penalty award !

Also nice to see Jose starting to rant about tired refs etc.

BrunelGunner likes this.
  9. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

I've just watched the replays again and don't see what the complaints are at all. It's disgraceful that it's being mentioned so much.

Not only does Sanchez go into the tackle recklessly and miss the ball entirely, his leg AND his body both collide with Lacazette.

It's a penalty.

TheBear and gooner4ever like this.
  10. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

It wasn't just Kane who got away with one.

Hojbjerg committed six fouls and didn't get a single yellow card.
    Lamela should have also been sent off much earlier. He probably shouldn't have even been on the pitch to score that rabona, having kicked at Luiz and grabbed Xhaka's neck.

They were getting away with stuff all afternoon and the pundits, even the Arsenal-affiliated ones, didn't bother to mention it. Yet they want to talk about the penalty 1500 times? <doh>

Ridiculous.

gooner4ever likes this.

11. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

but it’s Arsenal so it’s not a penalty!

on MOTD last night Jenad was raging about it and it was so funny.

12. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

I missed the neck grab, xhaka got sent off earlier this season for doing this ffs.
    I thought Holdjberg did get a booking in the end but if he didn’t then that is poor reffing

13. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

You mean this Jenas? <laugh>

gooner4ever likes this.
  14. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

I don't blame you for missing it, as it's hard to find footage of it online. But even so, Lamela had committed multiple fouls after that and ironically, the ref yellow carded him for the one time he won the ball! <laugh>

Hojbjerg didn't get a booking. He was making tactical fouls and stopped us transitioning numerous times. Oliver spoke with him twice and let him off the hook.

Thankfully, these decisions didn't impact the result. But on another day, they could have.

gooner4ever likes this.
  15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

What did they make of the pen on the spuds board ?

Bet there was some fume on there <laugh>

gooner4ever likes this.
  16. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

As you'd expect. Thought it wasn't a penalty and didn't understand why the VAR assistant, Paul Tierney, who some think has a bias toward Kieran Tierney due to similar names (I'm not joking), didn't overturn it.

Jenas showed a still image on MOTD where it looks like Lacazette kicks Sanchez, rather than vice versa. If you watch what happens in real time though, Sanchez makes contact with Lacazette first, not just with his leg, but with his body, and obviously gets nowhere near the ball.

They can moan about it if they want, but it doesn't change the fact we earned that victory.

gooner4ever and PINKIE like this.
  17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Makes it even better if they're crying about it :)

gooner4ever and BrunelGunner like this.
  18. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Have to say I thought Smith Rowe was superb again.

How good is this kid?! He's waaay better than I ever thought he would be.

Even though Pepe, Odengaard, Xhaka, Saka all played well as soon as ESR went off we missed that ability to quickly change the direction of the play. He is soo clever on the ball, his abililty to find space in tight areas in second to none - if he can add goals to his game he can really become an elite no.10.

gooner4ever likes this.