1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Shakhtar Donetsk - Matchday Thread (Champions League)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Oct 20, 2024 at 11:57 PM.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hanging on at home to Shakhtar Donetsk. This feels like the absolute trenches.

2. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1-0. FT. An OG is the difference between the two sides.

Yes, it's a win and clean sheet, but that was an embarrassing second-half performance.
    In fact, it was ****ing ****.

I expected a convincing win tonight and it was anything but. We needed a morale-booster ahead of Liverpool and I actually feel less confident heading into that game.

Profligate in front of goal, sloppy in possession, leaving gaping holes in midfield, giving the ball away in dangerous areas, missing penalties, White and Calafiori subbed off with injuries...this was not a great night for us.

Merino's last two performances haven't been spectacular, but it doesn't help that Arteta is shoehorning him into a position that doesn't suit him.
    Rice has been so poor positionally and again, I can't help but feel it's due to Arteta's instructions.

Partey was exceptional until he had to go to right-back because White came off at HT.

Jesus was lively, but again, can't finish to save his life. Havertz non-existent. Trossard....let me not speak on him. How he played 87 minutes is a mystery in itself.

Overall, a good result and terrible performance that leaves me with more questions than answers moving forward.

Quilllogic likes this.
  3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Was overall a very sloppy performance we will have to be better than that to beat Liverpool.

Seems like we lost a lot of control when we moved Partey to RB.

Merino was quiet when he came on didn't really have an impact. Not sure why we didnt see Nwaneri.

We're badly missing some creativity at the moment - Saka and Odegaard are easily our most creative payers, hopefully Saka can be back for the Liverpool game.