1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Napoli - Matchday Thread - Europa League Quarter-Finals

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Apr 9, 2019.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Excellent, controlled and disciplined performance.

I don't know how Aubameyang missed that sitter from 7-yards out, but it was never likely to cost us anyway (thankfully).

A lot of very good performances tonight, mainly from the defence and midfield.

Koscielny proving yet again that he is a top-class defender. Sokratis was also an absolute monster at the back. Maitland-Niles and Kolasinac negated the threat of Insigne and Callejon with ease.

We've had 6 clean sheets and conceded 1 goal (that wasn't even legitimate) in the past 7 games.
    Fair play to the players and the manager, as I didn't think we would win the last 2 games, yet we've done it.

Only blow is Ramsey's hamstring injury. Hope it's not too serious.

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but we've got an excellent chance of making the final. On paper, we are a better side than Valencia, and we've just dispatched one of the favourites for the Europa with ease, so I'm optimistic about our chances.

Emery's first season going so much better than I expected <ok>
    Not over yet though, got a lot of important games coming thick and fast.
    After that performance though, I'm buzzing!

COYG!

ToledoTrumpton and PINKIE like this.
  2. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

in Emery's first season it is theoretically possible at this stage to not only make top 4 but also win a European trophy.

Hes done a fantastic job so far.

3. BrunelGooner

Damn, Emery confirming in an interview that Ramsey could have played his last game for Arsenal.
    Such a shame :emoticon-0101-sadsm

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yeah that would be a really tough way to sign off his Arsenal career. He's been on top form too.

5. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Watched the game in at the Lennox Bar in Palma de Mallorca. My thoughts? He is getting Arsenal to play the style that was so successful for Sevilla - attacking down the flanks with two on one. When it is functionling well it is brilliant. This is what Sevilla did brilliantly in dismantling Liverpool in the EL final a few years ago.

As for Napoli they were poor, no better than a bottom half EPL team, which is 7th downwards. You will need to work much harder to beat Valencia where the crowd are so much closer to the pitch than at Napoli. Hope you get to the final and play Eintract!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. BrunelGooner

By the way, I don't think anyone should downplay just how big a result and performance this was.

This Napoli team thoroughly outplayed and beat Liverpool earlier on this season. Their only home loss this campaign was against Juventus, where they were down to 10-men for the majority of the match.

It's a very good result. I hope we can take a lot more encouragement from it heading into the remaining games of the season.

winifred122 and PINKIE like this.
  7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Big win last night. Thought we were very controlled and professional in the 1st half.

Interesting how Sokratis has become our leader at the back.

Lacazette seems to be our big match player. Was a great free kick.

Get past Valnecia and a possible tricky final against Chelsea awaits.

8. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a measured and controlled performance last night. AMN is maturing with every game. The only downside is that it looks as though Ramsey's Arsenal career has just widdled quietly down the pan. I wish him luck in Italy

9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Amended for you Bear!!