1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs FC Zurich - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Oct 31, 2022.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

FT. 1-0. Terrible, woeful performance. So many shocking displays tonight from too many players. We made a poor side look like Champions League winners. But we’re through as group winners and we don’t have to worry about the Round of 32.

Fair play to Zurich for really giving it a go, and were unlucky to not get something from the game, but they’d left themselves too much to do.

2. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It concerns me that the drop-off in performances from our first XI and second XI is this vast. The only player who played consistently well for the entire game was Tierney. He was a cut above everyone else.

Nketiah was absolutely shocking.
    Lokonga was hiding for too much of the game.
    Holding just not the required calibre at all.
    Elneny was average, but what more could we expect from him after 11 weeks out?
    Fabio Vieira with another distinctly mediocre performance.
    Nelson I thought was OK, but still played a bit within himself.

Hopefully Tomiyasu's injury isn't serious.

If we want to compete on all fronts this season, we need to reinforce our squad in January. The current squad options simply don't cut it.

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Well I was thinking actually - Jesus and Partey are the two irreplaceables in the 11. Anyone else we can cover for a while at least - those two though need to stay fit.

Nketiah - I have my doubts about, I just don't think he's good enough technically. Even though he's a decent finisher.

Elneny is barely EPL standard. I don't think he starts for 15-16 Premierleague sides.
    Lokonga is soo inconsistent its hard to know. He does have more ability.

In terms of fullbacks Zinchenko is back in the squad (huge boost).
    Smith Rowe coming back after the World Cup will be a another big boost as he can cover No.10 and LWF positions.

I can see us adding another CM in January - I doubt however Arteta adds another striker this Season.