1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal v Southampton

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 6, 2018.

1. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, Welbeck is nor quick anymore. 5 years ago, OK yes, now he moves like molasses down a gentle slope on a cold day.

This was a game that highlighted my point about our need to have 4 out of 5 midfield players competing for the ball. While Nelson was on we were just about keeping up with a poorly performing bottom of the league team at home, trying to carry Iwobi, Aubamayang and Welbeck.

When we took Nelson off, and we were trying to carry Wishere as well, the only people in midfield making a decent fist of winning the ball were Elneny and Xhaka. Southampton brought the game to us, and we were lucky to score the winner against the run of play.

We have to play with 4 midfielders that can tackle, and obviously they must create and score a few goals as well. You can keep bleating about a DM all you like, no DM in the world is going to be able to make a team, with 6 men defending in open play, look secure!

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Didn't see the game. Was on the beach in the sunshine. Good to grab the 3 points though and now we've got Chelsea in our sights.

3. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I was expecting us to lose this game for a variety of reasons, so winning was a bonus.

I know it means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but winning breeds confidence and I still want to see the players show some professional pride to end the season on a high.

Given Southampton have historically been tricky opponents for us, who their manager is, having both Long and Austin fit, who both always seem to score against us, our team's dismal attitude in the league and the precarious position Southampton are in, I was banking on them to win this. So fair play to the team for grinding out the win and not rolling over.

That being said, Long's goal really irritated me. Not just because it's just his 2nd goal in the last 45 games (according to commentators); it was mainly because Mustafi's lack of awareness and slow reactions were totally unacceptable. It was such basic defending. He didn't do his job. Then he had the gall to blame Cech for his own erroneous judgement <doh>

Wouldn't lose too much sleep if we sell him in the Summer. He's been great in some games, but generally, he doesn't have the discipline to be a top-class centre-half. For £35m, and with the reputation he had coming from Valencia, I expected much better.

Welbeck performed well on the whole. Two goals, an assist, good movement and stretched their defence with his running in behind. A stark contrast to the Stoke game where, frankly, he was utterly useless. This is the issue I have with Welbeck, though. Not consistent at all. He was superb against Milan, crap against Stoke, great against Southampton. The epitome of an enigmatic player. You never know what to expect.

Happy with Aubameyang getting another goal. 6 goals + 1 assist in 7 games. Couldn't have asked for much more <ok>.

Overall, a decent win in a thoroughly entertaining game, albeit we were poor. Have to give credit to Saints for their fighting spirit. They certainly didn't look like a team 18th in the table.

PINKIE likes this.
  4. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

On Mustafi, I have to be honest, I think Cech is so slow off his line these days it is almost criminal. I've been in that position in a game, and you never want to be playing a ball facing your own goal. Cech takes a step towards that ball and then backs off onto his line. Why the **** do that? Why back off? Even if you are not going to get the ball, you want to close it down.

I'm not saying that Mustafi was a genius there, but Cech was just as bad. I don't know what was said, or who blamed who, but for me they were both terrible.

As for Welbeck and Iwobi, for me they looked pretty useless as usual. I think we got very lucky against a very poor side, that is struggling. I'm glad we won, but the only people who looked half decent were Xhaka and Nelson (maybe Bellerin?) The rest were desperately poor.

cini65 likes this.