1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal v Southampton Sunday 8th April 14:15

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Apr 4, 2018.

1. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

I won't put it as bluntly as Black but that sentence is an oxymoron (the sentence not you!)

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

And Mick Channon came from there <ok>

fatletiss likes this.
  3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Auto correct has a lot to answer for.
    I thought it was the wrong spelling, but don’t respect the little runt enough to want to correct it.
    Anyway, I can’t believe you’re not still looking at that picture of Kylie.

fatletiss likes this.
  4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Can't agree regarding Forster, he's just simply never been that good and was massively overrated.

Definitely think it's contributed with Redmond though.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  5. SaintinSerbia

and the home of Wadworths 6X!

6. SaintinSerbia

I'm not going to go too mad defending Forster because I think he's too tall to be a top goalkeeper and once he's dived takes too long to untangle his legs to save the rebound. BUT ... we did far better with him in the team than not last season (and finished 8th?) and this season we are not going to finish 8th! (and have conceded 9 goals in the last 3 Premiership games) and not a single word against McCarthy?

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

In fairness how many games did he not play last season! McCarthy has been in better form than we’ve seen from Fraser this season - that’s pretty beyond question, surely?

Dark Lord SFC and Libby like this.
  8. SaintinSerbia

well kind of .... exactly. Everyone loves McCarthy because he has that confident air (me too) but whether he's kept out more goals than the slightly dodgy looking forster I'm not sure

Dell1964 likes this.
  9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

It’s Guly’s fault.

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

And Hop Back Summer Lightning!

11. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

2 goals in 48 games, is awful. He did play really well on Sunday, but 99% of the time he is an awful footballer. I find it mad that people love him so much just because he runs around. His dismal season has been a contributing factor to our league position. Hopefully he shows more of Sunday’s performance for the last few games.
    I’m thinking of Palace at Home etc. where he’s missed absolute sitters

SaintinNZ likes this.
  12. Dell1964

Dell1964 Active Member

Checkout the goals against this season and the number of clean sheets ~ that will show you that your supposition is rather subjective i.e wrong! Just sayin'
    As many on here have said, picking on a player is counter productive.

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Well no, because there’s about a million other factors at play when judging a goalkeeper’s performance in a team sport. I’m not picking on Fraser at all, but I think you’d struggle to find too many people who don’t think McCarthy has been better this season.

14. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

McCarthy is the better keeper for me, Fraz hasn’t been right since his knee injury.

15. Le Tissier's Laces

Agreed. I like Fraser, and don’t think he’s been as bad as people have been remembering, but AM has been a definite upgrade IMO.

The trouble actually is that as the season has gone on, the team, and most specifically the defence, has got worse. Hence why relying purely on stats is wrong.

16. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I don't think we would attract anyone better than Fraser to be backup at least. We seem to have a surplus of wage money left still and he seems like an upstanding guy so I'm happy to have him here.

17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Oh well done. You've backed up your **** opinion with an equally **** stat. 48 games? 48 GAMES?! Please. This is a massive misrepresentation. Surely you can put 5 seconds of research into this. Okay, I'll do it for you.

According to you, a GAME is a GAME then, whether the player in question has played the full 90, or whether he has come on as a sub for the last 10 minutes while we are 2-0 down and desperately chasing shadows.

This season, Long has started only 13 of the 24 GAMES that you suggest. Under Puel, Long started just 10 of the 32 GAMES that you suggest.

So in the last two seasons, Long has started just 23 of his 56 appearances. That's around 40%

Now, even with all this in consideration, I think it's fair to say (and yes, we do agree on this), that Shane Long's goal ratio is still somewhat low. However, if you have eyes, you will have realised that we are hardly ****ing Real Madrid this season and last.

So, let's go further back, to when we were half-decent. In 15/16, Long scored 10 goals from 23 league starts. That looks rosier. In 14/15, 5 goals from 16 starts.

So, in sum, in a decent team, Long will deliver. He is not 'awful' as you suggest. I'd save that label for your moniker, Gabbiadini, Carillo, and the like. Because at least Long seems to realise, that if he isn't scoring goals, then he has to work his ****ing arse off for the rest of the team, which he does - without fail - every game. And though you mock his effort as simply 'running around', anyone with half a football brain can see what he contributes. Can you not recall that we almost found a slither of form at the beginning of this calendar year, and that was generally down to the fact that Shane Long was being played regularly up front. Soon as he got injured, it all went to **** again.

But anyway, I'm bored of trying to school people like you. Carry on with your 'stats' and blind ignorance.

18. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

100% agree with that.

19. Dell1964

Dell1964 Active Member

Seems that you're back-pedalling a little bit now on your Foster slap-down. You're now twisting the stats to suit your spiel e.g. stats don't count, ha bloody ha. And the defence has got worse you say; err, since when? The defence has been shoddy ALL SEASON.

20. SaintinSerbia

basically the same defence, the same team, only big difference is the goalkeeper :) I wonder if FF will play against Chelsea? P.S. Fraser bunged me a few quid at the weekend! he's a lovely bloke.