1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal v Southampton Sunday 8th April 14:15

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

But how many good games has he had this season, Archers? he is simply not the same consistent player he was a couple of years ago, linking up with Pelle and on the left wing.

I class myself as an admirer of his when he is on form and have said in the past, when he ticks our whole attack plays well..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Well yes fans are going to have their favourites and opinions on what the team should be. These are PL footballers, they are bound to have talent and good games, they wouldn't be where they are if they didn't, so Long playing well yesterday was not a huge surprise for me. I actually like Long as well and can see when he is useful.

As for the Tadic thing, I get it you are a big fan, but you are wrong. He isn't easily our most talented player or consistently most intelligent (whatever that means, I am taking it as making the right decisions the most often).

Boufal is more talented, by a distance. The fact he hasn't been given enough opportunity to settle in is the biggest shambles of the last 18 months.

davecg69 likes this.
  3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I don’t see what Yoshida did as turning his back on the ball.
    I see it as a defender trying to spread himself as wide as possible, in an attempt to block the shot.
    The modern trend, when players cut in from the flanks, seems to be to bend the ball into the far corner of the goal. Had Welbeck gone that route, Yoshida may well have got his body in front of the ball and blocked it. Unfortunately for us Welbeck went for the other side, with the ball deflecting off of Yoshida’s leg.
    Had Welbeck gone for the curler, and Yoshida stayed in an upright position, the end result may well have been the same, with some (not necessarily you) asking why Yoshida hadn’t spread himself in an attempt to block the shot.

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Tadic V Boufal on talent??? That’s a very close run thing and hardly a “you’re wrong moment.” Two extremely talented footballers, but guess what, it’s about the 11 (or not if you ask a famous blue line drawing philosopher) and getting the right combinations, patterns of play, psychology, work rate, confidence, Luck, effort and support in and around the team. This and a zillion other things.

Sadly we haven’t found that mix this season.

Archers Road likes this.
  5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

He's not good enough to carry the team on his own, I'll give you that.

He's not in the class of Mesut Ozil or Kevin DeBruyne either, but then he's not playing with the team mates those guys have.

6. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I was going to post something similar but i've only seen it live and on the replays during the match so was waiting until I'd seen it again.

The way I saw it he was at that range where if the ball goes high it's a miss and you're not going to be able to move fast enough to really react enough to a shot to get a controlled block so like a keeper the best idea is to get low and spread yourself which involves turning sidewards, leaning forward and sticking you back leg out.

I doubt he would have got more control on the deflection if he somehow got a knee or shin to it facing forward. And would you have rather he dodged the block? Just bad luck for me.

Archers Road likes this.
  7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

See, I have no problem arguing about players in this sort of context; you may be right about Boufal, I am yet to be convinced. I may be wearing rose tinted glasses where Tadic is concerned. It's all about opinions.

It's the arguments about who is the most ****, and the 'why-oh-why is useless ****er a) or b) in the team' that I see and hear so often, that does my head in.

The stuff about the managers too - but I won't go there now. At least people seem to be getting behind Mark Hughes, who clearly isn't the Messiah, but who apparently can kick arse when it's needed (and boy, is it needed).

8. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah I am not saying "LOL Tadic is gash", he isn't. As you said before though I do think he needs a better supporting cast around him to really get him playing to his full ability as he is not the sort of player who can skin a couple of players and score, he is more a creator. More Ozil than Hazard if you like. Boufal I think has that skill set (as seen a couple of times) but as he is only given fleeting appearances he tries too much in my view when if he was perhaps more settled in the side he wouldn't. It is for the reason that I see Boufal as a match winner more than Tadic that if I had to pick between them in our current situation I would choose Boufal every time.

I will always pick the flair dribbler over the creative passer as well but that is a personal choice.

Archers Road likes this.
  9. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Just watched the highlights on the Saints website.
    I criticised Cedric for not doing enough to stop Welbeck getting to the ball, for the third goal, but I may have been unfair.
    The camera angle from behind the goal seems to show Wiltshire pushing him off balance, preventing him from going for the ball. Cedric actually ends up flat on the ground as a result of the push.
    Another reason to dislike Wiltshire.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  10. St.Kreuzberg

St.Kreuzberg Active Member

LOL Seriously mate you're a bit easy...I need bigger fish....You my little ( word deleted due to the sensitive nature of some ) sound like a proper keyboard warrior righting the wrongs of the world!
    I love your passive aggressive comments, do you mentally cross your arms and pout when hammering furiously at your keyboard?

11. fatletiss

It’s a nice county though.... :)

12. fatletiss

You won’t find a nicer, more gentlemanly bloke... well maybe Chilcs or Dave

Me however, I really can be an irritating little tw&t

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Comically incorrect with nearly every word.

I just think labelling a whole generation is incredibly lazy. Then to come back with “I’m a hard little bastard” - yet I’m the keyboard warrior! Ha!

If your measure of a person goes by how ‘hard’ they are, then we are very different people. And that’s fine. Takes all sorts.

Dell1964 and milton archer like this.
  14. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Tadic has been awful this season, but was at his best against arsenal.
    Forster has been awful all season and deserved to be dropped.
    Long is awful but had a good game yesterday.
    Redmond has been a shambles all season.
    To say that the fans are the reason these players lost form is hilarious. The fans got on their back as they have been consistently picked whilst playing **** for months. I wouldn’t ever boo a player at the ground, but if these players had played anywhere near their potential they wouldn’t be getting stick. Likewise if we had a manager that could spot when players need to be dropped.

15. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

same **** different day
    although I note the team actually made an effort yesterday
    bless them
    brilliant

16. St.Kreuzberg

St.Kreuzberg Active Member

See there you go again! It was all meant with a bit of tongue in cheek but as always you jump on your high horse and start preaching and spouting off.
    And if you are going to quote somebody at least do it right, Not Hard little Bastard, Hard little ****er! ....get it? apparently not!
    So before you start spouting off as you are regularly prone to do get the facts straight...."If your measure of a person goes by how ‘hard’ they are, then we are very different people. And that’s fine. Takes all sorts" Did I actually say this??? Errrr think not!
    I saw somebody praise you "in being a nice guy" but unfortunately you don't come across like that to me at all, but instead like someone that's highly opinionated and a bit of a twerp really..
    Best leave it alone, not the first time we've had a little discussion.

17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

**** off.

thebronze14, Libby and Archers Road like this.
  18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

St Kreuzberg and LeTissier's Laces can we both take a step back please............Lets leave the conversation there...........If necessary put each other on ignore......Thank you

19. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

yes if you are wantng to offend one another at least do it properly and say somthing that is insuting

St.Kreuzberg likes this.
  20. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

at this level it's at least 50% mental