1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal v Southampton, 5th October, 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Oct 1, 2024 at 12:01 PM.

1. My name is Billy

My name is Billy Well-Known Member

Yeah it did take ages but that was for the scorer, but their player who tried to head it and missed was 100% offside. I wondered had the rules changed this season.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it's by some distance the worst away record that any PL team has ever had vs one particular team.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Was really tetchy in the away end today. Saw loads of people getting chucked out which I think was for vaping. Weirdly was only enforced after we took the lead though..

Some clown ripped a seat up towards the end too the utter ****cunt. Ban coming his way hopefully.

4. Brizzletiss

Brizzletiss Member

Decent performance. Thought we defended well and had just about enough chances to nick a draw here today if not for mistakes from Downes & Suga. Thought Aribo looked solid tbf and as ever, Saka was absolutely quality for them.

I’m just so torn right now. I’ve been very much in the Martin in camp, even when we went through the rough patch last season, but I just can’t help feeling that the Prem is maybe just a step too far for his ability as a manager right now.

There was enough from the players to suggest that a manager with just even a little bit extra experience coaching at the top level would keep this squad afloat - need to iron out mistakes and I don’t think Martin has it in him, as much as I want to see him succeed as I genuinely really like the bloke and the players seem to back him a lot.

5. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Yeah this is kinda where I am

Brizzletiss likes this.
  6. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You've also had draws at The Emirates quite a few times. The bit in bold is precisely the point though - even when we do win games against you, it's hardly ever a comfortable victory. We always have to dig deep to win. Outside of the traditional top sides, I can't think of many other teams who's caused us as many issues over the last 6/7 years as Southampton. Possibly Aston Villa? That's the only team who comes to mind.

7. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

I always think away crowds are very much rough with the smooth. They always have the best atmosphere and wins mean more, but it does attract the worst of the the fan base too.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah for sure and it's been getting steadily worse for a while (for all clubs I think) but today seemed particularly bad.

London club and 3pm KO a big reason I guess.

9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah that was it, since before I was alive ffs

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Makes our Goodison record look good in comparison!

11. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

Unfortunately away games tend to attract the "football lads" type fans. Most of then are too young to be influenced by football factory or Green Street but are massively egged on by a whole ****ing disease of social media sites promoting doing lines on the 0630 train for a 1500 kick off and drinking heavily way past any personal limits. Massively brave in a group but will melt away pretty quickly when facing someone not intimidated. They piss me off quite a lot

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Another few things to mention.

Good to know we're not the only club with a stupidly loud tannoy system. Ridiculously loud and makes it borderline impossible to get any songs going while it's on.

Arsenal must be the only club in the Premier League who actually have less songs than us. And that's saying something. Dull, ****e fans.

Their so called 'ultras' are embarrassing. There's only about a dozen or two of them and they barely got any songs started.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Just watched the highlights and Sugawara has had a bit of a mare with the second and third goals hasn't he? Caught ball watching for the second and no idea what he was doing for the third.

Lazy pass from Downes for their equaliser too. Kinda frustrating that for all their dominance the 3 goals were completely avoidable.

14. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

That's pretty much every goal we've conceded this season to be fair. It's like giving a 1 or 2 goal advantage every time. Maddening

15. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

If that was Stephens though, the forum & twitter would've been in meltdown :bandit::bandit:

16. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The first half showed exactly why we should be leaving Stephens out. We were organised, disciplined, well marshalled. Bednarek and THB did very little wrong.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  17. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

The third I think he just doesn’t see Saka, he sweeps up well from Trossard and just tries to dribble around but obviously his touch just goes straight to Saka for an easy chance

18. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

OK, yes that's great. Im not saying otherwise. But it's not really anything to do with what I said is it?

19. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Youngster! You know no pain! You wait (but you’ll get the very occasional positives & go ballistic).

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah possibly, but a lack of awareness in that situation isn't great in itself. If you're not sure what's around you just get rid.

Not trying to get on the lads back as I think he's done pretty well so far coming into a tough situation but he's definitely had a bit of a mare with those two goals today imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. SailorSaint