1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal v Saints match thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by lamby, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

OK so thank god that week is over and we can get back to the important staff!

Should be a great game on Saturday. Looking unlikely that Theo will make it but we should be up against Oxo. Our defence is going to have play well to keep Arsenal at bay but I'm confident that we can find the net at least once. Be interesting to see how many of our newbies start and if Nigel persists with JWP.

Does anyone know if Cork is fit? If so then assuming our only injury is Lee?

What do people realistically expect on Saturday?

2. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

Was wondering why no one had done a match thread, last season everyone was rushing to do one <laugh>.

I'm expecting a 3-0 defeat.

Arsenal are yet to concede this season and I can't see them being overhauled against us...

3. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I honestly think we can nick this 1-0. Arsenal are one of those teams who can create loads of chances but not take them. Rickie will be a threat. I hope Mertesacker plays!

4. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

5. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Please Please Please Please be unchanged

6. Saint Possum

Saint Possum Well-Known Member

I thought Lee was fit as he was on the bench against Utd ?
    It will be interesting if any new signings even make the bench as they have all been away on international duties and have not had a chance to settle in yet.
    probably a bit early for Cork, I noticed on Twitter that most have been of playing golf bar Corky.

7. rabbitspectrum

Saints 3-0

----------Davis-----------
    Clyne--Fonte--Jos--Fox
    -------Davis-Morgan-----
    Puncheon-Gaston-Lallana
    --------Lambert-----------

This is our best team atm with Yoshida still to form an understanding with the defence. Although I think it is more likely that Adkins will play an unchanged line-up.

It might be a gamble to start with Ramirez but I don't think bringing him on as a sub will be more effective, and when we have Mayuka, Rodriguez and Lee on the bench if he tires we will be able to make a dynamic change.

8. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

I don't think Gaston will start.. And Rodriguez will.. to do mertersacker for the Pace.

9. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

I think we can nick something out of this. We'll work very hard and limit them to not very much early on, so I'm hopeful.

-------------------Davis--------------------
    Clyne-----Yoshida-----Hooiveld-----Shaw
    ------------------Morgan-------------------
    --------------Davis-----JWP----------------
    Puncheon---------------------------Lallana
    -----------------Rodriguez-----------------

Subs: Gazzaniga, Fonte, Fox, Cork/Chaplow, Ramirez, Lambert, Mayuka

I think we'll go for the compact middle 3 that we used against Man U. It's good news for us that Diaby is injured again, but we'll still have to work hard to control Cazorla.

Fox didn't have a good game against Man U and gave Valenia too much time annd space. Arsenal have tricky wingers and I'd worry that they will exploit Fox. Shaw is a bit of an unknown quantity, but we've entrusted him as the second option and we've got to consider him.

Like the Man City game, I'd plan to grind out the first 50 minutes or so, then throw Lambert on and go for the win when we can make the most of his fresh legs.

10. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

What a buffet for Wenger seeing the Youth.. He'll be sat down all game to hide his boner..

11. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Arsenal v Southampton (3pm)
    Referee: K Friend
    Assistants: C Breakspear, J Flynn
    Fourth Official: A Taylor

As well as Lee and Cork there are question marks over Fox's groin and Lallana's wife. But all being well I would go with the same team that played Utd. Arsenal will have Jenkinson and Gibbs at full back at I am confident we can get some joy there, they are also praying on the fitness of Szczesny so they can ditch Mannone. But they have some dangerous looking strikers and are coming off a good result at Liverpool. Having a quick look at Arsenal fans comments, it seems to be "they played really well against Utd, we will win 3-0". Well they might just do that, but I'm confident we'll give them a good game.

12. FunnyForumName

I'd be surprised if we got anything. Arsenal have been impressive so far and they're a different test to what we've had. I reckon we may nick a goal but Cazorla could end up splitting Fox and Hooiveld with any/every pass. Podolski, for all his faults, is a good finisher and may get hatful. I'd rather see us give Prowse, Lee and Rodriguez a run out, and give them some more game time. Rodriguez still doesn't look comfortable as a winger.

13. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Not happy with this Referee, he loves to be the centre of attraction and waves cards for fun.

14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, his surname is rather ironic!

15. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Referee defo a concern. Let's hope Jos times his tackles right. We can't afford to be playing with 10 men!

16. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

I was very optimistic for the Man Utd game.

I feel we can beat anyone at St Mary's on our day.

Away however, at Arsenal I can't see anything but defeat...

17. IMO Im ITK

IMO Im ITK Active Member

For some reason im a little optimistic about getting our first points...1-1.

18. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

Arsenal hate playing teams that get in their faces, press high and hassle hard. We'll do exactly that and we did it well against Man U until we got tired. We've got a good chance if we save some quality to bring off the bench to keep the intensity up. Puncheon and Lallana can come inside and give their fullbacks a hard time. We certainly won't roll over.

19. Mr.Gaston Ramirez

Mr.Gaston Ramirez New Member

We'll win 3-1.

20. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Starting 11:

Davis
    Clyne Fonte Hooiveld Fox
    Ward-Prowse Schneiderlin Davis
    Puncheon Lambert Lallana

Subs: Gazzaniga, Yoshida, Shaw, Rodriguez, Mayuka, Ramirez, Lee

I think Adkins will go with the same 11. Arsenal to score two before half time in Giroud and Cazorla, and then Puncheon to score not long after the break and Chamberlain to get on the scoresheet near the end.

The compact three as they've been called will be important to stop Arsenal dictatiing the game. Jenkinson and Gibbs are weak links in the team and I think Jenkinson will fall for Lallana's trickery because he isn't very mobile and Gibbs will be caught out of position a lot by an up field Puncheon and I'm sure Clyne will try and get behind Gibbs as well. Providing Lambert can get away from Mertesacker, I think he will be causing all sorts of problems. My worry is that they'll spot Fox's weakness and put Carzola on him all game and then switch Chamberlain with Walcott and swap them around and Fox will have no chance against Walcott's pace. The best way our CBs can deal with their strikers is by not commiting themselves and to put them under pressure. Neither look like a striker who can easily take it round defenders like a RVP or an Aguero.