1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, May 7, 2017.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

City had the title in their pocket by the end of September as I recall ................<whistle>

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

<ok>

Totally unbackable. Many pundits were already talking about a race to 2nd after only 10 matches ;)

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'm in the middle.

I didn't really expect us to win the league but I fully expected 3rd at least.

We don't need a major rebuild either, we need two or three absolute top drawer additions and one or two deadwood to leave.

Skylarker likes this.
  4. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Same here.

Thought Mourinho could at least improve LVG's squad and get us up to third, although I have to say once we bought the players we did I figured we'd have a chance to mount a semblance of a title challenge.

I've not said we need a major rebuild right now either - we needed a rebuild after LVG left, but we should be around halfway through that already with the players we've bought. Bailly, Pogba and Micky have the potential to be a solid spine which addressed many of the issues LVG left, Mourinho just hasn't managed to get the best out of them this season.

If we get another three quality players this summer, at least one of which needs to be a forward imo, and Mourinho manages to get most of the squad playing to their potential, we should be pushing on up the table next year. Some big ifs there tho'.

5. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Next year is a big opportunity for you and City. Chelsea and Liverpool won't have the luxury of one game a week, Spurs will probably lose a couple of key players and Arsenal will either keep being Arsenal or have a new manager.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The only time Liverpool do well in the league is when they are not in Europa so you're bang on there.

I think Chelsea will cope though, they've a decent squad and excellent manager who, like us, will target Europe and league only I suspect.

Agree though, very big seasons for Mourinho and Pep. They have to live up to their reputations. I think Guardiola will jack at some point next year. There aren't enough teams who let him win in the PL.

7. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

They're in a worse position than you when you consider the age of key players. Zabaleta, Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero have been the backbone for years and then there's Kolaroe, Sagna, Clichy, Fernandinho and probably others on top. They're years off winning titles again assuming the others don't all **** up massively unless Pep really is a genius which there's not much to suggest is the case.