1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal Players' Contracts

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Sep 12, 2018.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I've looked at the current Arsenal players' contracts and when they expire. It'll be interesting to see which players people think we should keep and which players we should let go of/sell on.

I've highlighted the ones in bold whose current deals expires at the end of this season:

Aaron Ramsey - 2019
    Danny Welbeck - 2019
    Nacho Monreal - 2019
    Petr Cech - 2019
    David Ospina - 2019
    Stephan Leichsteiner - 2019

Carl Jenkinson (yes, he's really still on the books!) - 2020
    Laurent Koscielny - 2020

Sokratis - 2021
    Mesut Ozil - 2021
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan - 2021
    Shkodran Mustafi - 2021

Emiliano Martinez - 2022
    Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang - 2022
    Alexandre Lacazette - 2022
    Sead Kolasinac - 2022
    Mohamed Elneny - 2022
    Matteo Guendouzi - 2022

Bernd Leno - 2023
    Hector Bellerin - 2023
    Ainsley Maitland-Niles - 2023
    Rob Holding - 2023
    Lucas Torreira - 2023
    Granit Xhaka - 2023
    Alex Iwobi - 2023
    Konstantinos Mavrapanos - 2023

2. BrunelGooner

I'll give my opinions:

Aaron Ramsey - if rumours are true that he wants wage parity with Ozil, then he will have to start performing a lot better than he has been currently. He has done ok so far this season. But 'ok' isn't enough to be earning £350k a week. I like Ramsey and think he has a lot to offer us, but if his form doesn't pick up, I won't be too fussed if he goes elsewhere. He has been quite inconsistent over the last few years.

Verdict: 50/50

Danny Welbeck - I actually think he is a very useful squad player. Pace, athleticism, strength and a good work-rate. Unfortunately, his finishing leaves a lot to be desired, but he is good off the bench/in League Cup/Europa games. If he was willing to take a pay cut and accept being a rotational player, then I wouldn't mind keeping him. But he's going to be 28 this season, wants first team action and still wants to have an England future. So I think he will be moved on in the Summer.

Verdict: Let go.

Nacho Monreal - Despite being 32, he's been very consistent for us. A solid left-back who's become more of a goal threat in recent years. I'd be willing to extend his deal for another year.

Verdict: Keep.

Petr Cech - been a fantastic servant for the Premier League and had a decent first season for us. But he's clearly not the 'keeper he once was. He'll be 37 when the season ends and isn't exactly getting better. I think his time is coming to an end. Personally, I think he should be let go.

David Ospina - His contract essentially finishes when his season-long loan from Napoli does, so he's definitely not gonna be here by next season.

Stephan Lichsteiner - Haven't seen him play enough to formulate an opinion, but he still looks like a handy player to have in the squad. Did well when he came on vs Man City. I guess we'll have to see.

Verdict: Jury still out.

3. BrunelGooner

As for some of the other players:

Koscielny said he will be leaving when his current deal expires in 2021, Elneny and Xhaka should be moved on, Jenkinson also needs to be moved on (ridiculous he's still at the club).

If Ozil doesn't perform this season, I would suggest we try to sell him. But on the money he's earning, it will be difficult to flog him off. Unless it's in China, Russia or the Middle East.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Aaron Ramsey - Keep
    Danny Welbeck - Let go
    Nacho Monreal - Keep
    Petr Cech - Let go
    David Ospina - Let go
    Stephan Leichsteiner - Keep

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

If Kos goes then we should be looking at getting another CB. We've got plenty of time to do that seeing as he's given us the heads up about it.

Xhaka needs to be sold. He's been with us long enough to show what he's got and it's not good enough. We could probably get £15-20m for him to put towards another CM. I'd actually keep Elneny though, he's a decent squad player. And although he doesn't excel at anything in particular, he's a tidy enough defensive player to bring on when needed and provide cover for in League/FA cup games.

As for Ozil, I think this is make or break season for him under Emery. I actually like what I've seen of him so far because I think he's working harder and that's because Emery seems to have told him that he wants more work rate out of him. £350k is a massive wage though and he's not earning that atm. Still needs to up his game and be more effective in the big games.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  6. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

To be honest, all those players you mentioned can go, except Monreal who has been consistent for us. None of them are really key players and it wouldn't be catastrophic if they left. If i was going to pick a player other than Monreal to keep it would be Ramsey, but it's hard to justify him getting a huge pay rise. He really hasn't hit a level that would put him in the top bracket of midfielders in the world, he's more mid-level PL than top 4. I'd rather sell him off and grab Cesc on a free next season.

7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yeah would agree with that.

8. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

One thing is obvious - we are crap at selling players! (used to be good at it thou!)

9. BrunelGooner

The bit highlighted in bold is key - none of these players would be major losses really and truly. Not in the same way that Fabregas, van Persie, Sanchez etc were for us anyway. None of the aforementioned players have had that level of influence.

Ramsey's scored two FA Cup final winners and has had a few purple patches with his goalscoring, but apart from the outstanding 2013/14 season, where everything clicked for him, he's never hit those heights since. That said, he is still a good player to have in the team, but he hasn't performed to anywhere near an elite level.

Monreal deserves to stay for at least one more year and hasn't showed any signs of major decline, but I think left-back is a position we need to be looking at to recruit for as, quite frankly, I'm not sure if Kolasinac has a future at the club, particularly after his latest setback.

Looks like there will be even more changes come next Summer!

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I'd be tempted to put an offer in for Luke Shaw. Would be tough trying to negotiate with Maureen though.

TheBear likes this.

11. BrunelGooner

I wanted Andy Robertson before he went to Liverpool, as he looked a class above when he was at Hull, but that ship has already sailed now...

I think Leicester's Ben Chillwell looks an exciting prospect and has always impressed me whenever I've seen them play. Might cost a lot, but it'd be worth it in the long run IMO.

12. TheBear

Always rated Shaw. He just needs s decent run in the side. Would happily take him at Arsenal.

Talking about stealing players from rivals I would also like to see us make a sneaky move for Loftus Cheek. Think he would be a quality signing.

13. bobo_97

How about this guy?

Ferland mendy!

14. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Closer to home there is the versatile Ryan Sessegnon.

gooner4ever likes this.
  15. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Would be a very good purchase but we will be outbid

16. bobo_97

Probably twice the price than Mendy because he is English. Plus isn't Ryan playing more like a winger rather than a left back?

17. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Ramsey is the one that is contentious. His big problem is that he is not outstanding at anything. While not being bad at anything is a strength, there are plenty of players that are not bad at anything and are also outstanding at something. At the top level that is more or less a requirement.

Personally, I think people should be on his case more than they are on Ozil's case. At the level we play, I think staying mistake free isn't enough, you have to be doing something positive and he has too many games where he doesn't show up on the highlights anywhere.

18. TheBear

Yeah agree, when Ramsey came through the ranks he was fast tracked because he had an outstanding range of passing. He was basically considered a playmaker similar to Fabregas who had a decent long range shot on him.

In 2013 he had that 'break through' Season where he scored a good number of goals - In a way it was the worst thing to happen to him because he changed his style from then on.(and his passing game never moved forward) He never sits in midfield anymore, he thinks he's Stephen Gerrard but he's not a great tackler and doesnt actually score many goals.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  19. TheBear

When you see how Chambers, Wilshere, Walcott, Campbell etc.. are doing now that they've left Arsenal for smaller Clubs (not well) it's even clearer we had too many sub-par players in the squad that were over-rated by us fans.

I still feel Mustafi, Elneny and possibly also Iwobi/Wellbeck would make little impact at Clubs like Everton/WestHam should they move. They are certainly not good enough for a TOP side.

Torreira, Aubemeyang, Guendouzi and Lacazette are all moves in the right direction for the Club but I hope Emery/Minislat are abit more ruthless when it comes to cutting the dead wood.

20. BrunelGooner

I know they're not reliable sources, but The Mirror and Daily Mail are reporting that Ramsey is set to leave Arsenal either in January or in the Summer.

If these rumours are to be believed, he'd apparently be willing to sign an extension if we improve the contract terms. But the club aren't willing to budge and feel like what he's been offered already is more than fair.

I've said before that I'm not too fussed if he ends up going. It's not like he's had a Sanchez/RvP/Fabregas level of impact for us during his somewhat injury-plagued time at the club.

Since Emery's come in, he's not performed brilliantly, either. Though I accept part of that may be because he's been put in different positions across midfield or out wide.

If he's expecting to have his wage packed doubled, the club would not be out of line in sticking two fingers up at him and booting him out the door.

A decent player, with occasional moments of class, is the best way he can be described.

gooner4ever likes this.