1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

are things REALLY that bad?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary on the weald, Jan 31, 2014.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

It has been known on occasion... <whistle>

2. tipsycanary

tipsycanary Well-Known Member

It does, but equally should players who are often paid more than the manager not take more responsibility then they often do? (seems crazy to me that players are paid more but hey). Yesterdays loss was less down to CH tactics and more individual player errors (i am only talking about yesterday, not the season as a whole). As I have said before, I would like to think CH will keep us up, and at the end of the season we make the change if needed.

3. johnnywarksmoustache

Believe me mate as an Ipswich supporter I would love to see Hughton stay but his position is becoming increasingly untenable. He spent a huge amount of money in the Summer on players that just haven't performed to expectations. The manager presumably identified these players and persuaded the board to back him with the funds to make these purchases? You can't take games in isolation and say ah well the players made individual errors in that game so you can't blame the manager! You have to look at it in the whole and when errors are being made consistently then you have to question the manager on his methods, tactics, training, motivation and above all organisational skills. I have followed this debate for months on this board and it is fair to say that the balance has now tipped firmly against Hughton. You have all shown huge amounts of patience on here and given him the benefit of the doubt but in my opinion he is now on borrowed time.

4. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's wonderful that there is still a fairly large glimmer of light at the end of the Tipsy-tunnel, but with respect, I have no alternative but to side with Warky here.
    Fair enough, CH can't influence what his selected players do - or don't do, once the game is underway, but leading up to it, they could start by having lessons in elementary collective defending, etc.

Some one on another thread recently said that he was being methodical in his approach, that in the first window he focused on strengthening the defence, for example.

Well, if that mental few minutes just after half time (don't forget, we could so easily have conceded three as opposed to 'just' two <yikes>) is an example of a stronger defensive unit, then give me Marc Tierney and Danny Mills any day!

5. tipsycanary

I'm not saying CH should be here next season, but if you sack him you better be damn sure the next person is an improvement, else what's the point? CH does have to take his share of the responsibility and I have never said this should not be the case, but so do the players and coaches. I don't think people attitude towards CH from day 1 have helped, nor injuries although these things can/should be overcome. I think players often hide from responsibility and to an extent they can hide behind one another unlike a manager. They often need to take it upon themselves to improve performances, it is not always the managers fault.

Saying this if it were me the tactics would be completely different and I think the style he wants to play does not suit many of our players so that is very much his fault. Another question is what you want from a manager? In the real world the top firms value innovation, potential and a high level of skills above all else. I would argue CH knows what he is doing but lacks innovation and therefore potential in the long term.

6. johnnywarksmoustache

Ever heard of a phenomenon called New Manager Bounce?

Just ask the Sunderland and Crystal Palace supporters! <ok>

7. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

And Fulham <whistle>

8. tipsycanary

It can work but many times it has failed and if it does fail it proves much more costly. It is a very short term view and I think for clubs that lack finances they must look more long term. I'm sure DM has a list of potential managers if CH were to leave.

9. johnnywarksmoustache

There is an exception to every rule but to be honest Fulham were beyond saving!

Steve Clarke would be an excellent appointment for you guys! <ok>

10. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Well, let's hope he's spending today in his office, ringing round and checking on their welfare <ok>

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Spot on!!!!. I've lost count of the 'soft goals' we've conceded this season and I remember a thread of a month or so ago showing that we were top of the league for giving away 'soft goals!!!!! IMO, the players need to take collective responsibility for a defeat such as yesterday and not play such stupid passes.

Once again, we were thwarted by a GK making some outstanding saves.

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I love the way JWM spends so much time on here yet doesn't take on board a fairly recent thread that proved beyond doubt that "new manager bounce" is a myth!

If you want to contribute on our board JWM, which you are most welcome to do, then please do some simple research before making a false claim! <ok>

13. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

Its dependent on who you get in and the players available Dave, not something that can really be measured with every scenario being the same. With some clubs it wouldn't matter who they got in, they'd still go down.

If you get the wrong man things don't change, if you get the right man they do providing your playing staff have something passable for skills on a pitch.

14. johnnywarksmoustache

Dave it's no skin off my nose if Hughton stays or goes! <ok>

Personally I think he's doing a cracking job with you boys and I hope no pray that he stays!