1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

are things REALLY that bad?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary on the weald, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Oxcanary

Oxcanary Well-Known Member

We make the easier games hard for ourselves with tactics that presume picking up points is down to lucky breaks/hope the opposition do not turn up/ or the ref is kind. Sometimes this does not feel like a strategy at all!

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Sorry Canary-on-the-Weald, that typo in the title has irritated me for too long, I'm going to correct it!

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just seen this from Vital Norwich, and I find it hard to disagree. If we're going to concede soft goals and lose to the league's basement boys, just how the hell can we expect to get anything from the better sides?

http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=348137

This part made me wonder, because surely McNally can't sit back and watch Hughton destroy the club. Can he? <yikes>

"The lack of backing Hughton got in the window has made me think we are either;
    (a) planning for relegation,
    (b) going to let Hughton go in the summer or
    (c) planning on letting him go even sooner."

From five points clear of the drop zone to two in the space of one match.
    Are things really that bad? You bet.

4. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Do you remember when we first heard that CH had been appointed CC?
    As I remember, we were both a tad sceptical about his appointment back then

5. tipsycanary

tipsycanary Well-Known Member

This really depends on what you consider to be "bad"? Because clearly compared to the vast majority of clubs in the country we are in a very good position. With regards to yesterdays loss, that was mostly down to poor individual errors rather than CH tactics.

6. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

The club is in a healthy state and I doubt you will get anyone arguing with that, it's what is happening on the pitch (and possibly the training ground), and to that end - yes, things are that bad, or certainly bad enough to have been concerned about performances and our plight from the second game of the season, but I don't think the OP is actually about the club though (I could be wrong)

7. tipsycanary

Well yesterday was more entertaining no? That was peoples biggest complaint about CH football, yet because we lost people are still not happy. Which goes to show it is about results! We are still not in the bottom 3 so things are not that bad. Peoples support of the team has been bad this season as have some performances.

I hoping/ expecting us to stay up, then is the time for the board to re-evaluate and make changes if required. Until then I will support them 100%

8. ThaiCanary

It was highly entertaining, and probably a really good game for the neutral. It was a mixture of some decent stuff by Norwich, but you cannot take away how poor Cardiff were for much of the game. Anytime they had their backs to the wall, it was like a panic button being hit, and yet our 'highly rated' and expensive strikers could not find a way through.

I will never stop supporting, but I am close to not believing (this season at any rate)

9. tipsycanary

A lot is made of our expensive strikers and yes they have not fired as people would have hoped, but they are by no means expensive by prem standards. Hull's new partnership cost more, Fulham spent 11 million one one player etc. It is average/ slightly less by prem standards.

10. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

There was no problem with the supply yesterday.

Our strikers simply failed to put the ball in the onion bag. Big time questions over RVW now.

11. K E M P

Pt he thinks that concerned me the most about yesterday was the lack of response once we went 2-1 down. We were hardly knocking on the door were we?

The we finally made the changes at 75 minutes. To late if you ask me. I if we made the changes 10 minutes earlier we would be talking about a draw or a win. But hey that's just my take on it.

Radio norfolk were saying the same and Darel Russell was pretty damning about our team and the way we were playing.

12. tipsycanary

Ultimately it was the players fault yesterday not the manager. I agree maybe making the changes slightly earlier but other than that. Poor poor mistakes from the players.

13. K E M P

These are the sort of games that will see us down. This and Fulham at home.

We are not picking up the results against the top teams this season either that we did last season, This is the first time this season that I can say that I genuinely have fears of us going down.

I just cannot see where we are going to pick the points we need up from. We just cannot go on any sort of run of results this year and it is looking like it will be our undoing.

14. ThaiCanary

I would say that this is not a 'real' or fair comparison, as it appears that Mr Allem has chosen to lend the club a lot more money to ensure survival, as his 'fantastic' marketing plans for 'Hull Tigers', is going to take a huge step backwards, not to mention the European football he dreams of. Thanks to that, Hull have paid way over-the-top fees (inevitable in January), to try and meet the primary goal of staying in the top flight this season.

Whether we have paid an average or slightly less amount than other teams with rich benefactors, does not detract from the fact that our most expensive signing ever, looks lost in just about every game he has played in, with the exception of one or two highlights. We have become a very, very small fish in the PL pond, thanks to some owners with bottomless pockets who are happy to loan a club whatever they want and charge a decent percentage in return.

15. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Chris Kamara on goals on Sunday did an excellent analysis on your defensive shortcomings for both Cardiff goals! Just what the hell was Hooper thinking when he played that cross field pass? Even at junior level the kids are told that when you are in your defensive third you should NEVER attempt to play a cross field pass! It's these individual errors that are costing you! The marking from the corner that lead to the jones goal was a complete bloody shambles! I thought Hughton was a defender in his playing days! <doh> Hughton needs to spend time on the training pitch this week working on how to defend as a collective unit!

16. tipsycanary

I agree the goals were down to school boy errors but they were the players fault not CH. As you say Hooper playing the ball across the box was nonsensical and I'm sure CH ddn't tell him to do that. The whole team needs a kick up the arse and to wake up and stop making these stupid errors. CH has made his fair share of mistakes which have been well documented, but the players must up their game.

17. johnnywarksmoustache

Hughton has to take collective responsibility though doesn't he! This is what being a manager is all about surely!

18. tipsycanary

It should be a joint responsibility. I was more referring to yesterdays mistakes though. I just think it is far too simplistic to say "oh things are not working, if must be the managers fault. Sack him".

19. johnnywarksmoustache

At the end of the day the buck always stops at the managers door and you can't just say that it's simply the players fault and the manager is not to blame! The manager sets the tactics, sets up the training sessions, instructs each player on what there jobs are and what is expected from them. It just seems that Hughton has run out of ideas and he has taken your group of players as far as he can. I admire the loyalty that your board is showing towards him but I genuinely believe that this loyalty is sadly misplaced (just like the passing yesterday).

20. ThaiCanary

Stop it, you are talking sense <wah>