1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

are things REALLY that bad?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary on the weald, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Northamptonncfc

Northamptonncfc Well-Known Member

The number one problem is we all know we have a difficult run of fixtures at the end of the season, with Fergie's retirement those top four places will be fiercely contested and since United are under performing it brings a lot more clubs into contention for a Champions league spot, there will be no club at the beach in the last month of the season it will be so close. Once again our survival will be down to external influences we need the top two - three spots settled early on and that's a big ask.

Now all is not lost we can improve our situation but we had a task to carry out at the beginning of this season that was merely to start well and get some points on the board, but we have failed in that task we should have around six more points or so in my opinion. The football has been frustrating, the passing has been truly diabolical we've lacked leadership on the pitch and we have no plan B. We've had some rotten luck with injuries but this is about building a capable squad and I hate having to use it as an excuse.

From now on I want to see everyone in that shirt give it 100%! And the fans need to wind their neck in a bit and give the lads some support.

2. tipsycanary

tipsycanary Well-Known Member

Well embarrassing or not, we are the 12th best currently. I have seen plenty of boring matches abroad where all the team does is pass. That can be just as boring and negative. Have you seen much football from other leagues abroad? It is often not much more entertaining then ours, or do you just watch the rich clubs in the champions league.

3. tipsycanary

That is ridiculous! Survival is in our hands. Of course clubs around us will lose a few but that happens every year (shocking I know) so it is not exactly relying on them to lose. I don't see why people are so concerned by our last 4 fixtures. Everybody plays each team twice, we are no different. Maybe they will have something to play for, but so may we so really makes no difference.

I do agree with your last sentence though.

4. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

I don't watch much football at all but when I do watch the Spanish clubs, even the lesser ones the passing and angles are just so much better. As for other Premiership sides the only ones I'd probably sit and watch would be Man City because I'm a big fan of Silva and Aguero, I'd also maybe watch a game Mata is playing in. I have little interest in watching Hull play Stoke, or Villa v Chelsea etc etc.

This season I've watched far more American Football as I presently find it far more interesting to watch.

5. tipsycanary

You may as well give up on football then. So you just say all this stuff, but don't even watch matches! I enjoy watching lots of sports, but all sports and good and bad matches in terms of entertainment. Maybe you should just watch films? They were made specifically to be entertaining.

6. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

I watch all of our games, so I can freely comment about NCFC and I'll watch highlights of games of others and listen to the radio but I don't sit in watching 90mins of other teams, I get bored to be honest.

7. tipsycanary

I could certainly get bored of watching too much football on TV but live games is different. Still other then the NCFC match can watch the egg chasing tomorrow, one of the best sporting tournaments there is.

8. Northamptonncfc

No it's not ridiculous, if the top four places are not settled do you reckon that Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are all going to be easy games? We've shown hardly any stubborn resistance or grit when we've needed to against the big boys, I can't see it happening now. Our destiny is in our hands but if we don't get the results we need with that run in then the odds are stacked against us.

If you look at things survival wasn't in our hands last season, Swansea done us a favour by putting Wigan out of the game then we played a West Brom team which was at the beach in a comfortable mid table position an Manchester City who had second place sealed and were in no way going to catch United.

9. tipsycanary

Do you think if we played those teams tomorrow they would take it easy on us? Of course not. They won't take it easy on any of the clubs around us either, and as everyone plays each club twice what is the difference playing them now or at the end?

I can't remember if it was in our hands or not last season (I think it was) but it is now.

10. Northamptonncfc

There is a massive difference especially if the top 4 places are undecided, that will be a big motivator for them and Champions League football will be a huge incentive for their players, they can get the odd draw and have the occasional off game around this part of the season but if those top 4 spots are not decided and there are six or so clubs challenging then well will come up against super determined opposition who will throw everything in their arsenal at us.

11. Swedish Dave

Swedish Dave Active Member

This is desperately negative and contrived. You spend your first paragraph saying we are doomed because we are playing top teams late in the season, and your second paragraph saying we only survived last year due to playing Man City late in the season. Basically we don't know whether it'll work for or against us to play any team on the last day of the season, or the first day, or any other day.

I haven't understood how your argument proves it wasn't in our hands last year either. The timing of the WBA/Man City games may have worked in our favour but that doesn't mean survival wasn't in our hands. Besides which, we ended up not needing the points from either anyway.

12. tipsycanary

As Dave says, timing of matches can work for or against you throughout the season, the fact its the last four games makes no difference. Maybe if we have a lot to play for we will be very determined to win to?

If we go down it won't be because they were our last four games, equally if we stay up.

13. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I think the point they're trying to say Northampton is that if you play Arsenal, Man U, etc, at ANY time in the season, they will be desperate to be challenging for top four and they will be exceptionally determined. I agree with you that, however, there might be an additional incentive in those last couple of matches because it could be "make or break" for them. I, personally, think these differences are marginal given the pressure and the quality of these teams, but I take your point that we are less likely to beat Arsenal on the last day if they could still win the title. But I would say there are a lot of ifs there.

BUT, in the converse, from where we are here, we could equally be playing these teams at the best time of the year, because if positions are settled so it may be the only time to play these teams where they genuinely are relaxed (e.g. Man City last season). We simply don't know. So we could, by the end of the season, feel like we've been dealt a great hand.

The other point people are making here is that, if we're playing these top teams then, that means our competitors are playing them now. Which means we have the opportunity to pull away long before these four matches arrive. Look at our fixtures from the beginning of March to the middle of May - by Premier League standards, that is a "very easy" run. So there is a genuine, albeit quite small, chance that we might be mathematically safe before those last four matches if we really take advantage of it. I think that's probably unlikely, but if we have a 6-7 point cushion and we are in approximately 12th before those last four matches, we will be safe and that tough run will be irrelevant.

Of course, we could play badly on those "very easy" fixtures and not get the cushion. Then that run-in will look like our worst nightmare. But the point is we will have made it a nightmare by earlier performances.

14. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

I can only think of one team who genuinely didn't rely on other team's results to finish where they did. They are remembered as "The Invincibles". <ok>

15. surgeryman

surgeryman Active Member

In answer to the original question, yes they are in my opinion.

16. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

McNally said that we would not entertain relegation.

We are flirting at the bar with it now and it has asked us to buy it a drink. Will we end up getting in a taxi with it?

17. Canaryvet

Canaryvet Member

Agreed.

18. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

Scoring one every other game having the 3rd worst GD and losing to the bottom side, very difficult to put a positive spin on it to be honest.:sad:

19. Mexican Canary

We were 12th, we are now 15th. Every chance of being in the bottom three by next weekend. Still have the same manager, team still playing shocking football. The downward spiral continues. Yes it really is that bad!!!!

20. ciderman

ciderman Member