1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread ARAMCO MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2022 - Hungary

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 28, 2022.

?

Who will finish first?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2022.
  1. Charles Leclerc

62.5%
  2. Max Verstappen

12.5%
  3. Lewis Hamilton

12.5%
  4. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. George Russell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lando Norris

12.5%
  8. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. moreinjuredthanowen

I dont think so. It was a pig no matter what fuel load at other tracks like azerbaijan.

It could be as simple as pure being slower in race trim anyway and that 2 seconds a lap or whatever could mean the stability is less of an issue

They don't seem to destroy tyres as well

Its hard to know.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I said the other day they need Brasn back , or Sir Patrick Head , no I’m not joking .

3. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

I’m starting to wonder how much the pace of these cars is locked to their fundamental concept. Merc seem to have slowly worked out how to get more out of theirs, but it seems changes in setup are having a much bigger impact on each cars relative speed than upgrades are.

4. Sportista

Enjoyable race, even if it wasn’t a good one from the point of view of the championship fight. This was a Ferrari track on paper and the Friday times reflected that. You have to wonder what happened between Friday and Saturday for the Merc’s and RB’s to overturn what should have been a fundamental pace differential.

Verstappen brilliant once again - Although Ferrari are imploding, I’m not sure he’s getting enough credit for his performances this year.

Good drive also from Hamilton, who is quietly starting to put George in the shade come race day.

5. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Be good for the “Leclerc makes too many errors” crowd to remember that Max made a similar error to Charles’ one at Imola today. He just got luckier.

6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I think your right on this. Now that first title is under his belt, I think we're seeing Max really becoming a master. The pressure is off to an extent, he doesn't have to prove himself to anyone anymore and now he's just driving. He could become untouchable.

7. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or should the entire Ferrari Pit Wall be binned and all major decisions made by their drivers who at least have some idea of what is needed

They just gifted Verstappen the race

If Merc had Ferrari speed Red Bull would not have had a look in

8. Sportista

What I find interesting with Ferrari, is not that they are getting out foxed with clever strategy, RedBull are asking them questions by being aggressive with strategy, but then Ferrari are falling over with basic reading of the race.

9. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Pretty much... There wasn't even a while ton to figure out today when it came to strat. Red Bull were already on the back foot. Undercut the Merc, two stints on Med, go soft... none of it was bloody rocket science, yet somehow they managed to absolutely Jeff it up.... And I used to think Merc strats where whack. Ferrari make them look like bloody Einstein.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  10. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I think ,( but hope it doesn’t happen )

That after the summer break Some staff will have left Ferrari . I hope it isn’t Binotto as I think he does a fair job .

Usually the top man goes , but if they get rid of him surely the strategists must go as well ?

duggie2000 and ched999uk like this.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

Who do they magically find to replace them?

There's a simple way of looking at this.

You are either reactive or proactive.

Ferrari have been consistently reacting and losing out. The emila and rain? (Was that there, I now can't recall)

There's a long line of decisions made to screw one driver to get their favourite ahead then forgetting to watch others til they do something then react.

They need to go aggressive now which is what red bull did with softs at start. Some thought it would rain.

I said before off that ferrari would get eaten alive off the start as everyone at the top went soft gambling for rain.

Then no rain at all. So ferrari do what? Don't ask driver to extend. Whether they felt they eat there own tyre or what I don't know but they could see softs on other cars lasting as long as they intended to run mediums!!!

Did they miss this?

They then fail to see disaster on hards that everyone could see. The second it happened everyone on here said ferrari blew it. Two hard charging soft runs would be better than what they did.

They seems to have discussed undercut by verstappen prior to race and the second he went in they reacted.

Le clerc says they discussed this on radio amd he said no

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  12. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I think you are right. Horner was interviewed after the race and I think he said they were intending to start on hards! Then on the pre grid laps they realised that the hards were not good. They then decided to run the softs!!! I guess to make sure they got a good start and then see how others did on the mediums and to give them options in the race, they could have gone hards or mediums depending on what happened! ferrari just boxed themselves into a corner and didn't give them selves any options, they really had 1 plan and stuck to it even though other cars had problems with the hards!!!

I do wonder if the culture is all about backside covering and avoiding the blame. i.e. the software said hards were best option so that's what we choose!!!
    They need to make calls based on what is happening not what they calculated would happen. It's almost like they run slicks if the weather radar said no rain even though everyone can see the puddles on the track!!!
    Mateo suggested it was all caused by the car being slower than expected. Well OK but they were leading the race!! So they were faster than everyone else. It just doesn't add up really to spend millions and just throw it away so easily.
    At this rate they will finish 3rd in constructors!

Justjazz likes this.
  13. moreinjuredthanowen

It's classic Italian politics.

They don't have someone of power to rose above it and put them all into line.

People keep talking brawn but brawn amd Schumacher had todt above them

Ferrari smell of fingers in the pie who don't know what they are at bit are insistent sainz doesn't win more than the team wins.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  14. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

It does seem that way.
    It is a very complex thing that they try and do so I have to give them some credit but sometimes their decisions just seem to not take into account what is happening on track.
    They don't seem to be helping Carlos but then again for some reason they do seem more interested in drivers championship which is weird for a sports/hyper car manufacturer!

Justjazz and moreinjuredthanowen like this.
  15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

16. push

push Active Member

17. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

But there is that old saying, Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

I do feel Binotto defends his team when there is no defense. Keeping team morale is important but at times you have to be honest with yourselves. Constant failure and obvious mistakes is toxic.

18. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Been happening long before him both Alonso and Vettel been screwed by bad reliability or team mistakes.