1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

AP or Whoever: Does it Matter?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by superbob, Sep 10, 2017.

1. superbob

superbob Member

I can't decide how I feel. Part of me thinks AP isn't up to it. But I'm also not sure I care who the manager is.

Some of my favourite memories of gills games have been when we've played 'in your face' football. Press hard and get stuck in. The gang of four's early games spring to mind. And Jed at the beginning: Shef Utd and MK Dons at home for example. We harried them and played with intensity. Really got the crowd going (not an easy feat - unless you're an awful referee) and obviously was successful too.

Further back, i always remember hess and smudger getting stuck in in midfield. Hess would inevitably get sent off but we'd still play with that intensity and win.

I guess I just want us to be the Gillingham that no-one likes (apart from us obviously) again. A side that rubs other teams up the wrong way and plays with pride, passion and intensity.

2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

This team were never going to win the league, the best we could ever hope for with a team of cheap rejects was they could be competitive enough to pick up points against the bottom half teams. Looking at the teams we've played so far, Doncaster, Southend and MK Dons, like us they are poor teams and we have picked up points from them apart from MK where we lost it at the death by 1 odd goal. Our other 3 matches were against top 6 teams, yes we would like to put up a fight but frankly they are in a different class and it shows.
    I know many people are talking about Charlton as a make or break game but I don't agree, they are another top 6 side and whilst I would love a victory, I won't hold my breath. Wimbledon on the other hand are sitting in the bottom half of the table and are one of the teams we should be having a chance against, so far we have held our own against the bottom half teams we've played, I expect us to do the same against the Dons.
    This team are not good, we have no speed, very little natural skill, no one that can supply consistent quality crosses for Eaves to feed off, so could, or would, another manager have done/do better, I actually think that is unlikely with the current squad and opposition we've faced. There is every chance that a new manager will come in just as we have a run of games against bottom half teams and everyone will think it's working if we win a couple, it will only be papering over the cracks, this team aren't good enough for anything other than a fight for survival, mid-table would be a bonus if the players actually click.

3. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely superbob - i've been on the fence over AP, but ive also made it clear if the same measure was MD then AP should be long gone.

Who do i blame and you will never have seen another season where ive said this, i blame the Chairman!

Sorry Mr Chairman but you have screwed this up big style in my opinion, too much getting rid of managers and now we are left with a dead duck.

As for the team, give me back Lee and Jackman any day or Bruce and Cas, because we just go from worse to worse based on bad decisions.

Oh lets not forget one of my favs Barcham, in truth i hope AFC whop us to send a loud and clear message to the chief. Sorry, i know that's a sin.

4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Your mate Cody to get the winner <cheers>

5. brb

brb CR250

Correction pegleg, go see my prediction..Cody is set up for a hat-trick <laugh>

The Gills PegLeg and superbob like this.