1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Another investigation.

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by taffthefish, Aug 19, 2017.

1. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40980955

It seems VT isn't too happy, who could blame him? It appears we can't go through a season without something negative popping up!
    Whatever your personal views on VT as a chairman or your perception of him as a man, is he right to pursue this?
    My view is he's right to investigate this and satisfy himself, whatever the outcome, that he was either right or wrong in his view of the deal. However, I think it's wrong to put this into the public domain until it is resolved.
    Some may view it as a witch hunt against MM, others may differ in their opinion. One has to look at the merits of the case, unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever know the full truth.
    I agree with VT that £8 million for a relative unknown is a lot of money. £45,000 per week was a crazy amount to agree to for an unproven striker. There are many questions to be answered on the valuation alone, never mind the weekly pay.
    It could be argued the MM was a fledgling manager at the bluebirds who may have got caught up in the moment. Having been given a huge (in relative terms) transfer budget and just promoted to the premier league was he blind to the reality? Most, I think, agree the purchase of Medel and Caulker seemed reasonable at the time, but the cost of Cornelius left a few scratching their heads.
    For his part, VT gave MM carte blanche to do what he thought necessary to stay in the premier league. The oversight of transfer dealings appears to have been non-existent with MM seemingly throwing money around in almost Ridsdalesque fashion, maybe they had the same financial advisor...
    Both parties have to shoulder the blame as both were naive. MM a relatively new manager getting a war chest with seemingly little knowledge of transfer negotiations, especially premier league. VT with little knowledge of football in general.
    Will this affect the performances on the pitch? I think not.
    Will this move focus from our awesome start to the season, no way.
    Is it an issue we need to be concerned with? No, it should be done away from public scrutiny.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

It's an interesting sub-plot. Never a dull moment as a blue bird.

I said at the time that Lim was culpable. he should have been monitoring spend. Ok, he may not have recognised a lack of value for money but he should have been controlling budget.

While ridsdale and Sam sailed close to the wind, they knew football. Something lacking under this regime until Warnock came on board.

Colin has already hinted that he'll be around for a while. I can see him being a football consultant with us for a while after his management days are up, though I hope we get a couple more years in the hot seat from him.

Back to the topic. Tan is evidently not a man to be crossed and he may not bear a grudge but he will get even. He may not get his money back but he will continue to make life uncomfortable for MM. I feel he right to investigate this for the truth to be known but the fact that Lim was signing the cheques means blame will be shared.

The bit I don't get is why it blows hot and cold. This is the third or fourth time he pursued it but is always goes quiet. I can only assume he is toying with MM and doesn't believe he'll get anything back either or he'd go balls out to nail him once and for all.

Don't think Warnock will leave it become a footballing distraction and will leave the journos have something else to write about other than pile pressure on the team if this winning streak continues.

3. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

Tan is a vindictive ass_ole. McKay was doing a good job...promotion, respectable position in premier league...wtf do you expect for £50 m. Cornelius has proved prior to signing for us and after that he is a good player....if Tan didn't t have his head so far up his arse, and stuck with McKay and Cornelius, then my bet is we would have stayed in PL. Even when we were relegated, and we were crying out for a Cornelius type striker he virtually gave him away simply to prove a point. McKay has been investigated by police, FA and Tan's legal people and henchmen....what was the worst they found...a few dodgy e- mails. F-all illegal. Tan is used to being worshipped....McKay got all the credit...end of. Our season fell apart prior to the Newcastle game when Tan withdrew players bonuses and McKay had the temerity to tell Tan he wasn't t welcome in the changing rooms. We were relegated, but we're still in it with a couple of games to go, despite pile of horse droppings that is OGS. Hope for promotion this year and Tan sells up, recoups his money and f**KS off from where he came. Only my opinion of course, guys.

seabreeze likes this.
  4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whiffle - opinions differ regarding Malky's culpability for the **** Cornelious deal. There are some who can see no fault and others who advocate his only failing was his naiveness. Whether there was a fraudulant aspect to the transaction and bungs were received via the back door seems to be what Tan is trying to establish.

He doesn't need the money for Christ's sake, but he appears to be a man who'll never give up trying to prove himself right all along.

Shame for the club dragging this back up again. I've never been in the camp of blaming Tan for everything that happened back then, but it's well overtime he let it go.

whiffletree likes this.
  5. whiffletree

I agree Sparky....shame is that we're flying and we could do without this (and the Tomlin 'incident'). It ain't half hard being a bluebird.

6. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Malky had just over half of a good season, most of his football was dire. Where are his signings now ? Man U? Real Madrid ?

Like most I got taken in by him for a while, I think Tan is doing the right thing nail his balls to the mast.

Jay-Rede likes this.
  7. whiffletree

Oh dear. Short memories eh? Promotion, reasonable position in PL when he left. Overall transfer profit. Don't t give a tinker's cuss about where they are playing now......Medel, Caulker, Bellamy, Cowie, KTC, Mutch, Noone, Kim, Campbell were some of the best players we've EVER had in their respective positions.
    Only Warnock comes even close to McKay as our best ever manager.

8. whiffletree

Two Danish players sign for Welsh club. Both have **** first six months. One is given a chance, one is used as a scapegoat by a vindictive owner. Any lessons learned shri Vincent.....apparently not.

9. DaiJones

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

Jay-Rede likes this.
  10. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Whiffle, I appreciate you point of view however,MM was responsible for some pretty crap football. We went up by virtue of all other teams being much worse than us. I don't think we won any of our last eight games and still went up, the league was pretty crap that year. Second lowest points tally for a team winning the championship. So I contest he's the best ever Cardiff manager because we were promoted to the premiership. You can ask Hilts who my favourite manager is. :D

Jay-Rede likes this.

11. danablu

danablu Active Member

I still believe that the Price quoted for Cornelius was 8 million kroner
    which is about 800,000 Pounds a very good deal for FC Copenhagen
    Every one in DK was gobsmacked That it was 8 million Pounds an unheard of
    sum for a Danish Superleague player Somehow this was lost in translation and
    somebody ****ed up

Jay-Rede likes this.
  12. DaiJones

That could be, makes sense.

13. whiffletree

Excellent point of view....debate is not dead.

14. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Cornelius hasn't proven a thing other than the fee was ridiculous.
    You can only have one of two opinions on that transfer.
    1. It was moronic
    2. It was bent.
    My opinion....
    Malky wasn't a moron.

As for positive transfer balance I think that's very creative. Cornelius and and Kim equal -11m on their own! Thankfully QPR let us off the hook on the god awful Caulker. Medal only went to inter because on a good World Cup although he was an alright player.

DaiJones and Jay-Rede like this.
  15. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I'd be pleased if it was left to rest but can understand Tan's grievance.

Mind you he has to take some of the blame for not getting in a proper group of football "people" to oversee managing a fledgling PL club. He left it in the hands of inexperienced people and let a golden chance to cement a PL base drift away

Oldsparkey likes this.