1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Angel Rangel

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

2. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I did see that last night, Rangel has him on toast. :)

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  3. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Great servant to the club and a crying shame he's still not with us in some capacity.

4. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Angel Rangel seems to have adjusted well to his surroundings at Loftus Road, after moving to the London-based side in the summer of 2018.
    The switch came after the defender’s 11-year spell with Swansea City came to a frustrating end, with the Championship outfit opting to not renew his contract.

The experienced full-back was questioned on how long he could carry on playing professionally, and he has issued an update on his targets as this year’s campaign progresses.

In an exclusive interview with Football League World’s Jacob Potter, Rangel admitted that he is planning to continue playing until he is at least 38-years-old.

“38 is my target. If I retire at 38, I’ll be happy. Before that I won’t be. Sometimes you have to put things into consideration though as injuries are a big part of the game at my age. My brain thinks like a 25-year-old, and I think fitness-wise that I’m good enough, but sometimes your body can’t take it.

“The Championship is a tough division, and the games can get quite hectic and physical. I’ve picked up a few injuries in the last couple of years, where I’ve had to have operations and that is starting to show me that my body in some ways is struggling. But I must say that they manage me very well here at QPR.

“They manage my training and modify it and make sure I get to the game in my best condition. I don’t need to train five days a week at 36, that’s how it is.

The Spaniard admitted that he is keen to stay in football after he retires, and revealed that he has already taken his coaching badges earlier on in his playing career.

But Rangel has questioned whether he wants to step into football management, after some bad experiences in the past.

“I think football is one of the possibilities for sure. I did my coaching badges nine years ago before I got into the Premier League with Swansea because I always wanted to be a coach.

“I’m not going to lie in saying that I’ve had some managers and coaches that I’ve not enjoyed working with in the past back with Swansea in my last few years, and that made me change a bit and ask myself whether I really want to be a coach. Can I be that sort of person that makes sure players are happy?

“It could be coaching or anything football related but it has to be within football. It’s been my whole life and I’d like to give back to the ones that are coming through the game.”

The 36-year-old hasn’t ruled out a return to former club Swansea City, but revealed that his relationship with their owners could prove to be a stumbling block on any potential move.

But the full-back is certain that he will have a future in football after he decides to call time on his playing career.

“Going back to Swansea after my great history with them would be a great privilege. Obviously now I haven’t got a good relationship with the owners and when I retire we’ll have to assess my options.

“I met the Swansea chairman once when we played them alongside Leon Britton who was my team-mate for a long time. It’s good to keep in contact who you have been with for a long time.

“You never know what’s going to happen in life and my home is Swansea, it’s where my family live. That’s my club, so it would make sense to give all my knowledge back to that club. Is it going to happen? I don’t know. It could be somewhere else like QPR but my future is going to be in football for sure.”

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.