1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

... and in Other Football News

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Gone For A Walk, Sep 16, 2021.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Reading have appointed Paul Ince as their permanent manager.

I predict he won’t be their last managerial appointment in 2022.

2. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

They shouldn't at all, but there's still a ridiculous amount of stigma kicking about. Glad I don't live in America that's for damn sure.

3. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

I think that's a pretty safe bet! I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first one to go next season

NewcastleTiger likes this.
  4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

There are stigma's about many things, but it tends to be the isms and skisms that the media feel they can generate enough nonsense about to get clicks that get talked about, and leave some people feeling threatened, vulnerable and victimised, when the reality isn't really reflected.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  5. Howdentiger2

Certain parts of America certainly are in the dark ages when it comes to things like this unfortunately.

6. Steven Toast

I can only speak from experience, but I've had it where it's never been an issue until it's come up and then people change. Everybody reacts differently to certain things, but for some reason sexuality seems to trigger something in some people that I cannot to this day explain. It might be because the thought of a person suddenly being in the realm of sexual accessibility seems unnerving, I don't know.

Nobody has been comfortable coming out in football because of things like "banter", chanting etc, which seem superficial but can have an impact when directed in a pejorative way. And obviously not things like "you're ****ing ****", I'm talking about chants like the "could be worse, could be gay, getting bummed by John O'Shea" type chants.

Either way, hopefully this sets a precedent in football, because wider sport is already seeing more gay athletes speak out about their experiences.

7. Howdentiger2

The media do unfortunately make pretty much everything worse that they get their rotten teeth into.

rovertiger and DMD like this.
  8. Steven Toast

Well I'd say it was more the other way around, people feel threatened and the media (sometimes disproportionately) then report on it. Reports on homophobic attacks aren't designed to frighten people, they're very well received in the community as it's awareness that people have been crying out for since day dot.

HebridesTiger, AlRawdah and Drew like this.
  9. Steven Toast

I'd say with full confidence, that it's not all of the media. The Rupert Murdoch owned/styled stuff, yep. Ironically, the BBC, not so much. In fact, the BBC are probably somewhere near the front in terms of tackling these issues.

PLT and Howdentiger2 like this.
  10. Howdentiger2

Tbh I haven't really watched the BBC media stuff in years, infact I can't remember anything I've watched on the BBC in years bar football stuff. But if that's true re tackling the issues then that's fantastic

Chazz Rheinhold and Steven Toast like this.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Yup. They tend to make people feel as though they're victims, by focusing on certain issues and shoe horning things into programmes, without realising that many people get their 'differences' commented on and receive abuse over.

I deleted the rest of what I was going to put, because I really can't be bothered with where it will go.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  12. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

13. Sumatran_Tiger

Sumatran_Tiger Well-Known Member

90+2 mins
    Post update
    Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal

“Arsenal are misplacing passes all over the gaff. Cedric Soares decides to shoot himself “
    I don’t blame him.

14. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

The fact that ‘openly-gay footballer’ is such a rarity even in 2022, compared with other high-profile industries like acting or music, suggests it’s a problem within football itself.

15. Help!

Help! Well-Known Member

16. x

x Well-Known Member

perhaps down to the fact that a portion of the audience is always noisily non-supportive to one or team or the other. music and acting audiences tend to align themselves with the people they're watching. there are few other instances in which workers can expect general abuse doing their day job.

17. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

Rooney played a blinder today.

18. x

x Well-Known Member

indeed - the rest of the game was interesting too. glentoran were 2-0 up with 15 minutes left and larne had been denied a nailed-on penalty at 0-1 (see vid below), but were then given one, for which the culprit was red-carded, and ronan hale - a 53rd minute substitute - took it and scored following up after the keeper saved it. eight minutes later they were given another penalty, which hale scored, taking the game into extra time. hale almost completed his hat-trick halfway through the first half of extra time when his shot hit both posts and bounced out, but he did get a third a couple of minutes later. as the second half of extra time ticked into added time, he scored the long range goal, giving him four goals as larne won a game 4-2 that they'd been losing with 15 minutes left.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/61446538

Evington, Des Head and Help! like this.
  19. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

True, but I can turn on the TV and easily see openly-LGBT talk show hosts, comedians, actors, musicians, and I can count the number of openly-LGBT male professional footballers globally who are still playing on one hand. By applying the rough estimate of LGBT people in the population to the Premier League and EFL, there should be at least one LGBT player in every 25 man squad of the 92 teams.

20. x

x Well-Known Member

true, but there are always idiots in crowds and it's not unusual for well-known people to run into some scumbag with issues. it doesn't take many.