1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

An attempt at a sensible chat...God knows why

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by remembercolinlee, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Well I bought my nearly 3 year old the new Saints kit on Friday and he's been telling everyone how he's really happy to "get new super saints!!" so I'm doing my bit :)

Might not be able to afford to take him regularly mind...

2. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

You're right but what i'm proposing would be to reverse the trend. It's very easy (and convenient for the big clubs) to say that "the ship has already sailed" but i think that for the sake of the game something needs to be attempted or else we will eventually get to the point where everyone in the world supports one of the top 20 teams leading to a super league and the demise of the local game.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

I support a team in the lower leagues and that demise is steadily increasing year on year. Imagine Naymar's transfer fee being distributed to all of the clubs in league 1 or 2 (a bad example as the transfer was not between premiership clubs...but you get my drift). It would fund the salaries for a whole season for ALL of the teams in that division. The sad reality is that Sky are only interested in the PL and to a certain extent a few clubs in other European leagues. They have no real interest in the game other than to sell Sky packages and need to convince future generations that the PL is where it needs to be as a supporter.

4. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiments above and hope it all goes pop.

A problem for me is that our FA, league, Sky etc all of them are focusing more on abroad and foreign countries rather than the genuine supporters back home.
    An example is on the Leicester official FB page which is good for new updates etc, has been compeltely ruined by Algerians sucking off Mahrez or Roma fans abusing our club as they didn't get Mahrez etc. I've seen comments like Leicester are selfish and holding Mahrez hostage, erm on £100,000pw. My heart bleeds for him. Also comments saying he should have refused to play to force a move. This is a problem for me, piss off and support your own teams and not just one player and the attitude that players need to force moves for money etc

5. The Ginger Marks

I enjoyed my football more before Sky and the premier league, the fact that we were considered a cup side didn't bother me one bit. I used to meet up on home matchdays with friends and enjoy the whole day win, lose or draw.
    Sometimes we used to say this year would be our year ( cup wise) none of us ever predicted or spoke of titles as we knew we were short of that but on our day we could beat anybody.

Initially the Sky money allowed us to see players like Vialli, Zola etc which was exciting but how quickly it escalated into the have, have not situation we have now. Football had always traditionally belonged to the working man and sadly now stolen from us I can never see this changing.

I used to watch my local sides wherever I lived and found this to be more satisfying and a return to grass routes. I've also been involved with some of them which made it all the more enjoyable. Yes I still love my Chelsea, always will but Sky has changed the way it was supposed to be for my money and for the worse.

6. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It's a global business now. It's almost as if the football has become secondary to the marketing, which is where they all make their money nowadays.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I hope you're working on that.

Actually shouldn't be too hard for you as a Spurs fan, with the team you have at the moment, but if that doesn't work, I hope at leat you are boring them rigid with stories about Glenn Hoddle and Ossie Ardiles.

My son used to groan at every mention of Matt Letissier - until I showed him the "simply the best" video. Didn't stop him becoming an Arsenal fan, but I blame myself for that really - should never have took him to see Dennis Bergkamp at Highbury. Bad move.

remembercolinlee and Libby like this.
  8. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

There always used to be more deserving champions prior to start of premier league. <ok>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Royal Engineers and Wanderers ... agreed<whistle>

10. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... bit harsh ... he can be a bit of an irritating cnut, but he means well <ok>

Milk not bear jizz likes this.

11. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

No he doesn't. <whistle>

Libby and FosseFilberto like this.