1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

An attempt at a sensible chat...God knows why

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by remembercolinlee, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

the money in football is disgusting, the only way it'll change is if the fans make it change, but they won't as it'll be seen as being 'disloyal'. I also think the figures quoted as being paid to agents are no where near what they actually are and are being used as tax dodges.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  2. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Mae defaid yn rhywiol. Rwy'n hoffi cadw fy phenis mewn bum defaid. Mae defaid yn rhywiol. Rwy'n hoffi cadw fy phenis mewn bum defaid. Mae defaid yn rhywiol. Rwy'n hoffi cadw fy phenis mewn bum defaid. Mae defaid yn rhywiol. Rwy'n hoffi cadw fy phenis mewn bum defaid. Mae defaid yn rhywiol. Rwy'n hoffi cadw fy phenis mewn bum defaid. Mae defaid yn rhywiol. Rwy'n hoffi cadw fy phenis mewn bum defaid. Mae defaid yn rhywiol. Rwy'n hoffi cadw fy phenis mewn bum defaid. Mae defaid yn rhywiol. Rwy'n hoffi cadw fy phenis mewn bum defaid.

3. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Thats post contains bum 8 times.

Welsh is weird. And gay.

Milk not bear jizz likes this.
  4. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

Some ideas that could mitigate the ridiculous spending we see today. The number of teams in Point 1 is England and Wales specific but the rest should be applied worldwide:
    1. 8 regional leagues of 18 teams. Winners go to quarter finals, etc. and the winner wins the league title. In theory, every club has a shout at winning the league. TV Money gets split 144 ways.
    2. No relegation but bring in a draft system so that over time clubs should be able to reach a similar level
    3. Academy players have to play at a club in their local area until they are 18, at which point they go into the draft. This would also ensure that they stay close to their families until a reasonable age. This may have to be at an amateur club as professional clubs may not fancy training someone if they know they'll lose them at 18.
    4. Introduce a maximum squad size and make it so that teams can't hoard talent and then loan them out. A team should be able to loan out a maximum of 5 players.
    5. Introduce a squad salary cap that will allow the poorer teams to become competitive over time and will reduce ticket and tv prices.
    6. Players shouldn't receive 100% of their salary on a weekly basis but have a proportion put aside in a trust, only to become available to them once they retire. They may have developed enough intelligence by then to know what to do with it.
    7. Mandatory teaching at local schools and amateur clubs. Each professional player is obliged to give some time to the local community each year.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Heretic ... stone him to death with random salad ingredients ...<laugh>

6. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

I'm currently in Spain and something one of the locals said struck a chord. Supporters, especially younger ones, tend to support either Barca or Real and not their local teams. Can you imagine what will happen to the lower echelons of football in a few generations time if that trend continues? I see the same thing in England where kids are becoming more glory-hunting plastics with each passing year.

Lovearsenalcock and NSIS like this.
  7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Very true.

Virtually all the Spanish friends I have here support either Real or Barca. I ask them why not a more local team, like Valencia, but it always comes back to those two.

8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The best way to get youngsters to start supporting their local team imo, is to get them into the ground. Which means clubs engaging with the local community, youth teams etc, & offering reduced cost/subsidised or even free admission.

In the UK you tend to see more of this in the lower leagues, where seats are obviously harder to sell and grounds need filling.

pieguts likes this.
  9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I make no secret of the fact I have not seen a saints game in about 3 years . ST Holder in l1 , the championship & first season back in the PL . **** it , it is just a cash cow , I still take an interest , but the PL has gone mad & it's obscene . What chance have the smaller clubs got ( And lets not forget , we could have been one of them if it was not for ML money ) .

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

All about away games.

BobbyD, pieguts and Number 1 Jasper like this.

11. Number 1 Jasper

Have to disagree . If all the fans stopped going , it would completely ruin the atmosphere . Do you think it would have a big impact on the revenue the teams get ?

I don't .And that is THE problem with the PL at the moment IMHO .

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

It would because part of the appeal of the 'product' is the full stadiums and atmosphere etc.

Money has taken over but football without fans is nothing.

13. Archers Road

Let's hope we win a few this season <laugh>

I went to 7 last season and we lost all but one of them. Mind you, the one we won was Liverpool in the semi, so it was all worth it in the end.

Edit: got that wrong. I'm forgetting the 0-0 draw at Leicester.

14. Number 1 Jasper

TV .

Take F1 for example , Real fans hate seeing half empty circuits , but the average viewer looking at the cars , would barely notice a difference .

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

But the TV companies like full stadiums <ok>

16. Number 1 Jasper

You are correct . & I'm not playing anymore :emoticon-0110-tongu

Yes , valid point .

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  17. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

I think that ship sailed with Sky purchasing the rights to football. Being a fan of the big clubs has never been easier.

18. Archers Road

One thing that particularly bugs me is that Sky ad which says "every fan deserves every game". You know they don't mean Leyton Orient fans.

Number 1 Jasper, Libby and pieguts like this.
  19. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

it's a bit different, a lot of the supporters of the smaller clubs also support either RM or Barcelona as it's a bit more than a football rivalry, as with Scotland's old firm rivalry. You'll find plenty of Scots that support a non-old firm team have either a Celtic or Rangers preference, as it's not about football, it's about ideology, RM and Barca represent opposing sides in the Spanish civil war.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  20. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Hardly any of the kids I have worked with over the past 6 years have supported anyone except City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool so I think it's already happening tbh mate