1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

An attempt at a sensible chat...God knows why

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by remembercolinlee, Aug 29, 2017.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I have decided to see if it's possible to train the chimps in this jungle to have an actual real grown up conversation without it turned into a **** throwing contest.
    I am not feeling optimistic even though I have trained my school psychos to stop throwing piss soaked socks around!

Anyhow, after hearing that players consider themselves short changed if they are "only" getting £65,000 per week excluding bonuses and endorsements, watching players bring "unable" to play because of the stress of not getting a move to Barcelona, hearing tv pundits say that clubs need to be paying players "£80,000, £90,000 or £100,000" per week cos they "need to take care of their future" (£65k per week is £3.4m per year...for a 5 year deal it comes to £17m...NOT INCLUDING bonuses and endorsements) I am beginning to really dislike football.

I love watching spurs, love the match day excitement where ever I am, love going go matches and love that my girls are massively into football but I am genuinely sick of 2atching these money grabbing mo fos whining when we (as fans) have to save up to go to matches. If they were less greedy ticket prices could be dropped for starters.

Greed from agents and players is killing the game imo.

My solution would be to give a salary cap on clubs. A club could spend maybe £80m per year on player salaries. It is the only way I can see this lunacy stopping.

Oxlade-chamberlain apparently turned down £180, 000 per week and Sanchez is reported as wanting £300,000 per week.

Yet Arsenal fans are expected to pay high ticket prices which are barely affordable

2. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

If you put a cap on players they will just move and play in another country.

Football as a working mans game is now dead.
    But dont worry those of us who refuse to pay stupid money to go to games are plastic <ok>

Big Ern and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  3. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

I think you are in a fortunate position because, as you said, it is quite possible to dislike football yet still enjoy watching Spurs ... <whistle>

gooner4ever, PINKIE and commachio like this.
  4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I will read and reply at luchtime...probably.

5. remembercolinlee

Goddam mo fo

PINKIE and FosseFilberto like this.
  6. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

The OP isn't THAT long ... but take as much time as you need ...<ok>

7. remembercolinlee

It's ok...I typed it slowly cos I know you ain't a fast reader <whistle>

Stan and luvgonzo like this.
  8. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It became ridiculous years ago, and it's now obscene

The PL has lost touch with the working man, and personally I don't like what it's become

A day trippers delight, selfie stick central.

9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I get 1 hour at lunch do you think I'll get through it ok?

10. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Perhaps if you could retype in Welsh? ...he's a bit Araf :1980_boogie_down:

11. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

One possible solution is to stop the PL and UEFA acting as a cartel. Let individual clubs sell their own TV rights. While that would have some nasty side effects I think it would actually reduce TV income as it would be more clear to fans that they were actually paying the wages through their TV subscriptions.
    A proper camp-down on cheating and influencing referees would help the enjoyment of the game as well. A radical suggestion I've made before is that referees should be entitled to ask players what had happened in off the ball incidents. Anyone found lying would be banned for the rest of the season with no pay and his club would be fined 20 points. I doubt that the sanction would ever be applied and it would stop play acting completely.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  12. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

The answer to your first paragraph is almost certainly not. But top marks for effort...:)

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Get rid of agents..I hate them greasy ****ers. Each club should have negotiators employed if the owner is not capable of offering player X a contract. Clubs can hire lawyers...players can hire lawyers...there is no need for these white collar thieves.

Another way to save money and give it to the fans by offering cheaper merchandise and tickets...save the money build 90,000 seater stadiums...let's get everyone in like the good old days.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  14. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Most on this forum support the top 6 clubs. Imagine how the rest of us feel. The gulf is to wide. The only exception being Everton, they maybe the only ones capable of ousting one of the six.

Archers Road, Libby and Tobes like this.
  15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

This is what I don't get...once we all wanted to oust the top 2...that became the top 4...nowadays it's the top 6.

Unless it becomes the top 30, I can't see you ever being happy Comm

seabreeze likes this.
  16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Why? The too clubs are so far ahead now.

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

I don't care about the gap really I accept the way it is now and it will most likely never change.

I just hate the ****ing sterile nature of the PL these days, the atmosphere at St Marys is generally shocking these days with day trippers more interested in the opposition etc.

The atmosphere was better with 20k in league one and it felt like proper football too. Said before that I miss league 1 and genuinely wouldn't give a **** if we went back one day.

There's no reversing it now, top level football is ****ed.

Good post rcl.

18. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We've seen how this works in Spain. The top 2 take everything and the rest live on scraps.
    It would usher in the Super League and kill the sport.

Archers Road and PINKIE like this.
  19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Said on the Spurs board the other day that while I love my club, I'm hating football in general more and more each day.

I'm fortunate enough to own a season ticket and go all home games along with a few away ones but I've got mates struggling to make ends meet and barely have £50 for a weekend which would get them **** all with today's prices. Single match tickets are usually around £40, add in a few beers, food and travel costs and chances are you're looking at about £80 for the day out and that's as a bare minimum. It's a ****ing joke, working class people are just getting royally fisted. I'll be ****ed if I have any kids in the future, won't have a chance of going football once I've got people depending on me.

Quite lucky in the sense that I'm a massive MMA fan, helps me take my mind off football when it pisses me off.

20. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

But that has always been true in Spain. I'm not sure the concentration of power is reversible and my idea is not a shoe-in by any means. But the current system causes a disconnect between the fan and the money. A Burnley fan has to pay the same Sky subscription as a Man United fan but gets to see much fewer matches. So he or she is subsidising Man United.