1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

An Appreciation: Dave Walker and Ken Birch

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Apr 27, 2015.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I know we had a thread about Dave Walker's passing, but here is a Saints appreciation. Another Saint has gone too in Ken Birch. Before my time but every Saints player is worth a little read:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/arti...iation-dave-walker-and-ken-birch-2426120.aspx

Notable that, in Dave Walker's case, he had been given an engraved Omega Seamaster to commemorate the promotion to the top flight, back in the mid 60's. Eterna weren't the first to be issuing watches at Southampton. That Omega is a coveted model too.

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Thanks for posting this TSS. I well remember Dave Walker but sadly Ken Birch is before my time as well. An interesting read about both of them, I must admit I had forgotten about Docker's libero role, which as the article says, consisted of him marauding from wing to wing either in front of or behind the back four and taking out everything that moved. I just remember the ferocity of his tackling: as I said on the other thread (Koeman's I think), when Walker tackled you, you stayed tackled.

A sad coincidence that both the subjects of the article were involved in what amounted to promotions in their first season with Saints. In Ken Birch's case, helping to ensure that we finished in the top half of Division III South in order to qualify for the new national Division III in 1957-58 (we finished 6th) and in Docker's case, getting us to the promised land of Division I for the first time in 1965-66.

RIP Dave Walker and Ken Birch <rose>

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Both were before my time, but lovely to read about the contributions of previous Saints.

4. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I remember 'Docker' well. He wasn't that big really but a hard man for sure.

I love the picture of Walker and McGrath. McGrath was another great character from the days when players were 'of the people'. He picked me up once when I was hitch-hiking back from Bournemouth. Hilarious!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  5. Heaven and Pelle

Both well before my time, but always love reading about the history of our club and those that wore the shirt in an era of 'real' football. RIP 'Docker' and Ken, my thoughts are with your family and friends.

6. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Remember 'Docker' Walker well, not so much a marauding wing half more of an assassin?