1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

American billionaire bids to take over Pompey

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by SaintLapras, Mar 20, 2017.

1. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Somewhat behind the curve on this in as much as it's the first time I've seen/heard him speak about the club. I have to say that he is saying all the things that matter to me and he genuinely sounds like he loves the club - when he talked about FP being an antique needing care and attention he is bang on. It's our history, the spirit of every fan who ever attended a game sits there whenever it's open and indeed loiters quietly there when closed. He gets my vote - and PL as for what about after him - well we'll have to roll with life like we all do and hope that we would be lucky enough to get a guy like this involved. He strikes me as shrewd enough to sell only to the right buyer. We should welcome him and his sons and wider family with open arms and make them feel like they were born in the city. Thanks Anti & Woops for the link posts and Leib & Second for the good wishes.

2. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  3. 3rd eye

4. 3rd eye

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  5. EastneyPFC

I like the cut of this chaps jib as they used to say. I think he'd be a good thing for us.

Wooperts_duck and 3rd eye like this.
  6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Nowhere on this forum to chiefly congratulate Pompey on becoming Lge two champions, so I'll do it here. Well done you lot. Great win to sign off with too.

On the important subject of the takeover, there are one or two mischievous rumours abounding that Eisner is not around for the long haul, and that it'll all end in tears. Frankly, I can't see the point in him being interested if that's the idea. I think he means well and will set Portsmouth in good shape to progress. As I see it, I don't think you'll get a better offer at the Lge One level, and he seems to be interested in upgrading, or at least doing some much needed maintenance to, the physical infrastructure of the club. Being a football supporter is all about belief in the end, and I think this is a leap of faith you have to make.

EastneyPFC and Wooperts_duck like this.
  7. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

It's a good time for the Trust to bow out. They saved the club, took it out of debt and back to a stable financial position, and have overseen a return to on field success culminating in winning the League Two Title. Their legacy is secure. It's probably time to hand over control to someone with more resources who is more able to support the club long term in the higher leagues.

8. 3rd eye

Thanks for the congrats TSS - what a way to bow out as a fan-owned club - on a high as L2 champs.

Well this billionaire came with 2 of his sons and personally pitched his vision to 1500 PST shareholders and members. Yesterday he was at the nearest watering hole meeting and chatting to the fans, walking back with them to the ground. He and his sons sat in the South Stand in amongst the fans away from the Directors box.

His investment company is a family affair and his sons are very involved. His pitch was sustainable growth, no debt unless it's short term for the bricks and mortar - normal business practice. He was talking in terms of 30 - 50 years and saying things like "......that will be for his children & grandchildren to sort out. He has no record of selling his companies on. Being Pompey fans the first thing everyone did was research his background and try and find something on him. Apart from knowing Liverpool's Tom Werner there is nothing to find. He did fall out with Steve Jobs, but then who hasn't.

There are a few who are desperate to keep the club fan-owned, but a tiny minority - I forecast a high vote in favour of the takeover.

Wooperts_duck and TheSecondStain like this.
  9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

That sounds absolutely bloody excellent. Fingers crossed you could be in a safe pair of hands, especially as the only real issue was his advanced age [76.?] If the younger generation are involved you'll have proper longevity. You have to go for it. It's a real shame the supporters aren't making any profit though, as they deserve something else, I feel.

Incidentally, on the Steve Jobs front, I fell out with him too, indirectly. 20 years ago I was at Uni, and the geography department had Apple Mac Performas, whereas the rest of the Uni had PCs. I was one of the tiny minority who could use an Apple properly [they are/were eccentric things]. I swear my degree grade was lower because of it, as I spent 50% of my time tutoring the fellow students in how to use the f****** thing. The technicians were overwhelmed.

3rd eye and Wooperts_duck like this.
  10. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I posted this on the Saints board and I know that Woops likes his puns!...:)

I couldn't give a Donald Duck about this, but I suppose The Skates need a Robin Hood and some Rescuers to transform them from a Cinderella club. They may as well have been on Pluto for the last few years and their previous owners were hardly Snow White, but maybe The Happiest Millionaire can transform them from a Sleeping Beauty or is that pure Fantasia?..:emoticon-0112-wonde

Seriously though, don't let this opportunity pass by for the sake of keeping it a fan owned club, he is one of the good guys and will do good things for you.

SaintLapras and Wooperts_duck like this.

11. EastneyPFC

Cheers Saints alive - your "punditry" will please Woops. I think you are spot on - you can only speak as you find, and the guy seems 100% genuine as a person and what he has had to say so far impresses me.So fingers crossed he gets to take us forward.

3rd eye and Wooperts_duck like this.
  12. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Ah. The anti-iPhone motif is explained!

TheSecondStain likes this.
  13. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Just watched the presentation to the PST.... He certainly talks the talk... and seems like a really genuine guy... plus he's American...

Meh screw my reservations, let's go for it (not that it's down to me haha)

14. Saintsfan08

Saintsfan08 Well-Known Member

You Pompey boys haven't had any trouble with dodgy owners in the past have you ?

15. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Yes, we have actually. Nice of you to enquire :emoticon-0148-yes:

Libby likes this.
  16. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

So, he's been approved.

17. 3rd eye

80% in favour - it needed 75% - and 4 Presidents voted against.... howzabout-that-then.

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Good news.

At last, we can now plan for the future.

19. EastneyPFC

Read Michah Halls blog and it was very open and realistic. It was the only real option.

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Michael Eisner is set to complete deal to buy Pompey on Friday according SKY SPORTS.

please log in to view this image

Excellent news!! He and his son Eric at the game on Saturday. Couldn't have happened at a better time.

antipodean exile likes this.