1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ambition

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

It's the last home game, and the groundsman is clearing the pitch after the match. He gathers a little pile by the half-way line. Tape, gum, a stud maybe, a lace. Football detritus. He's about to bag it for the rubbish, when you tell him to wait. Don't throw it all away. Put some in this box. This cardboard box. For this isn't rubbish, it's the spirit of QPR. It's not crap, it embodies everything that has been good and still could be good about Queens Park Rangers Football Club. It's our essence. The QPR Meaning of LIfe, but the number isn't 42, it's 76. Write that number on the box, tape it up and put it on a shelf. And when prospective managers ask about our 'ambition', take down the box and hand it to them. Don't open it, tell them, what's inside isn't important, it's the number on the top. That's our ambition. Another side like that one. That great trophy-less side. That's not too much to ask, is it? You don't even have to win anything, just play like that side did.

2. GroveRanger

GroveRanger Well-Known Member

Am I the only one with the squeaky-bum feeling that the groundsman mentioned in Stroller's OP will be picking up stuff from the pitch when we are relegated at the end of this season? If we don't get to 50 points sharpish I think it is still a possibility.

I like the side of 76 but would also give a shout to the 81/82/83 team who got us promoted and so very nearly won the FA Cup. What was Tony Curry doing back in the penalty area?!!!

3. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Were safe this season....8 clear with two games to go

4. GroveRanger

GroveRanger Well-Known Member

I really need to pay more attention, thought we had 5 left!!

Bring on the new guvnor and look forward to next season then.

Uber_Hoop, UTRs and Steelmonkey like this.
  5. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your 24 hours of unnecessary anxiety! We are safe because Rotherham lost and not through any great merit of our team even though from the radio commentary it was yet another game we might / should / could have done better, even won.

I know most are worried about next season but wouldn't it be the QPR way to cobble together a team that does ok and surprises us all? Yes please.

6. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh yes strolls....
    That side was 3 years in the making so next year is year 1.....roll on year 3

Uber_Hoop, jeffranger and Stroller like this.
  7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Thanks to Steels and Blymie on the RIP thread I have just learned that 10 of the 11 Celtic Lisbon Lions were born within 10 miles of Parkhead/Celtic Park, with the foreigner born a massive 30 miles away.

So that should be our ambition, winning the champions league with a team from within (a generous, but think of the population covered) 15 miles of Loftus Road. Or 15 miles of the new stadium, but I’ll be dead by then so I don’t really care.

8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

We're safe mate!!

9. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

He knows. :)

kiwiqpr likes this.
  10. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

One of the many differences between 76 and now is that we had already had 10 or more years of the late great Jim Gregory as chairman. A wealthy man for sure but he still built the modern QPR on a shoe string. I can't see any sign that our current owners understand how to strike the balance between sensible investment, fiscal responsibility and a long term strategy that Gregory did so effectively. It seems to me that we are swinging between the ends of a financial pendulum and having thrown away billions in trying to buy overnight success the owners are now determined to experiment with unsustainable levels of austerity and hope for the best. I know that FFP has totally f*cked us up in a whole new way but we are still owned by some of the richest men in the world and they must surely be able to come up with something other than knee-jerk economics.

QPR999 likes this.

11. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Watching this still brings a tear to the eye at what might have been, an afternoon I'll never forget, we were still in the ground an hour after the match finished...

QPR999, kiwiqpr, Ranger4ever and 2 others like this.
  12. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

We were lucky to have experienced it. Can't see anything like this happening ever again - although hopefully there'll be some OBZ moments occasionally.

QPR999 and Sooperhoop like this.
  13. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Sadly, I have to agree...

kiwiqpr likes this.
  14. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

This says enough

QPR's 2016/17 Player of the Year event has been cancelled.

Tickets went on sale for the event last week but a lack of sales has resulted in the event being cancelled.

QPR CEO Lee Hoos told www.qpr.co.uk: "We are naturally disappointed that we've had to cancel the event.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

wheres this years event
    after the steller season they have had ticket sales must be booming

Wherever likes this.