1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alvaro Morata v Romelu Lukaku

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Matth_2014, Jul 19, 2017.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Each player suits the clubs at the moment Utd could do with someone getting 2&3's against lower opposition and it could get them 4th, Chelsea need someone to nick that 1-0 and win them the league.

Blueman likes this.
  2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I suspected, and said, a couple weeks back that it was obvious that one party at Chelsea wanted Lukaku and one didnt. I just wasnt sure which way round it was.
    Lukaku was basically jizzing over Chelsea and begging to come back and yet no bid was forthcoming. Contention over re signing him was the obvious reason. I thought it might be because of Costa not ****ing off, but I dont think that would stop the club signing a new striker (infact it hasn't, since we just did, and Costa is still here :))
    A few folks on the Chelsea board have been saying from Day one that Morata is Conte's (and their) first choice.
    No coincidence that as soon as the Lukaku thing is done, Conte signs a new Contract, he was basically saying "if you make me sign Lukaku, I aint signing ****".
    All the reports of Conte being pissed at Chelsea, this was why, they were clearly trying to strong arm him into signing Lukaku against his wishes.

Lets face it, it wouldnt be the first time our chairman pulled that ****, Shevchenko anyone?
    When Jose wanted Eto'o but Roman insisted on Sheva? That went well didnt it Roman!
    He should let the managers manage.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

This kind of crap is what loses you a very talented manager, you've done well swapping and changing but what legacy could you build with Conte at the helm for 10 years?

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Helps to add one of these at the end -?

We needed a goal scorer to replace Zlatan and we've got one. One who is quicker and younger yet still, as has been proven of the last few seasons, scores plenty goals.
    Morata would not have given us that 'guarantee'. I use that word loosely as Lukaku also doesn't guarantee it but at least he is proven in the premier league, which Morata very definitely is not and is also nowhere near as prolific in the leagues he has played in thus far.

I'd have been happy with Morata but we got Lukaku and I'm happy with that. I think he'll be dynamite working with Rashford.

I genuinely couldn't care less how Morata pans out at Chelsea. Not my interest or problem.

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I have always wondered.
    Its not like we have done badly in the last 10 years, but, like you say.....if we'd had some sort of stability, management wise, in the last 10 years, who knows what we could have achieved? Maybe more, maybe less...

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

By the way, how dare we not sell Real Madrid our goal keeper!!

Scandalous.

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

You better, if you dont they will come sniffing around ours!! <grr>

8. Stan

Stan Stalker

Lukaku never once mentioned Chelsea as his preferred destination. In fact, he said he turned them down to join United.

Chelsea boys have written their own narrative and stamped it gospel.

9. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I think that's a complete fairy tale tbh. There were plenty of reports saying Conte was fuming that Chelsea had let Lukaku slip after it was obvious they'd approached the player and he'd even talked about knowing where he was going over 2 months ago.

Conte could have been given an improved contract to keep him sweet, as there is no extension to his current deal, merely a better salary, what have Chelsea gained by that?

Stan likes this.
  10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

He was saying as far back as May that he had already agreed a deal with us.
    Did you see his interview with Drogba? It was cringeworthy.
    He did turn Chelsea down, because by the time the club actually got around to making a bid, he had been seduced by United.
    It's pretty simple, if Chelsea and all its staff were unanimous on wanting Lukaku, why did we not bid for him as soon as the window opened?

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Reports where? The Sun? The Mirror?

12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I think all this talk of Lukaku's work rate off the ball is really unfair.

Have they not seen the effort he expends chasing the ball after his first touch..... <whistle>

I think both signings actually suit each club. Lukaku probably better for Jose's brand of dull and Morata as an actually footballer will work well with the likes of Pedro, Hazard and Willian playing in and around him.

Lukaku's hat tricks in the 5-0 drubbings at OT will probably see him get more goals. Morata will win Chelsea more points. .

13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

plus the Guardian, ESPN and others, it was widely reported.

14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Morata wasn't first choice at Madrid, and in the main therefore only started games against the lesser opposition in the league, which will have helped his goalscoring stats. He's obviously a good player, but I think it'll take him time to adapt to the PL and I don't expect him to have a massive impact from the off.

Skylarker likes this.
  15. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Now the press are reporting the opposite <doh>

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...io-Conte-Romelu-Lukaku-Guillem-Balague-gossip

I think the world would be better if we had no newspapers.

Anyway, **** it, like 100 has said, we both got new players, everyone seems happy, role on the new season.......****ing boring at work on Saturdays without footie to watch in my office <grr> I've had to watch ****ing Rugby and Tennis!

Tobes likes this.
  16. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Indeed, its always difficult to tell.
    Except with Costa, I had a feeling with him before he played for us, he suited the PL, probably more so than La Liga.
    But most of the time, you just cannot tell, look at Kezman, or Forlan.....just two examples of strikers who were **** hot elsewhere, but **** in the PL.

Tobes likes this.
  17. chelsea - over 100 years of history

We all know you can't trust the press though. A couple of weeks back stories were ran stating Conte was leaving and Conte was staying in the same day. It's 99% made up bullshit or at least heavily spun based on some vague 'information' from a 'source'.

We clearly had some interest in Lukaku and United ditto with Morato. That's about as much as anyone can say with certainty. Most Chelsea fans seem happy we got Morata and I'm sure Everton are happy the'll get 80 - 90 million for Lukaku!

Somewhat ironic Jose moans about levels in the market when he has spent approaching 200 million on Lukaku and 'the worlds most expensive haircut'.

18. AwakingGiants

AwakingGiants Active Member

Chelsea's 2 best strikers in the PL have been Drogba and Costa both physical players.

19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

As much as every non Chelsea fan hated Costa due to his ****ish behaviour, he was perfect for this league and he's a cracking footballer, as well as being a lethal finisher. I think you'll miss him badly this season tbh.

20. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yup, am sad he wants to leave, because I think he is great