1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alonso or Not

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by DayDoDoeDontDayDoe, Apr 2, 2013.

1. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

Guillem Balague apparently done a u turn and is now saying we are in for Alonso

Do we go for him or not,I think most will say yes, but IMO its not as clear cut as it should be

I think most of us agree we need a new DM in the summer, but I think with the way we have played this season I definitely think the type of DM we need is the big,aggressive,pacey,runner eg. Diame,Wanyame,Capoue

Do we really need an Alonso type,at the mo Gerrard is playing the Alonso role and has most of the season,could LL,SG,XA play together.When XA,SG,JM played together SG was 4 yrs younger and JM was the runner and the legs in midfield,SG played at 10 then a position he has struggled with this season, he has been at his best in the position Alonso would want.If LL,XA,SG played together IMO we would have a serious lack of energy legs in midfield,Lucas reads the game very well but doesnt have the energy,legs than Masch Sissoko had.If XA and SG where in our midfield, I think we need to leave Lucas out, for a big physical DM we dont yet have

My idea is this , if we bring in Alonso and it wouldnt be a priority, we would have to buy a CB who can also play DM, ie Wanyama.If we cant buy that 2 position player I wouldnt sign him.

I also think a top CB, a top physical DM is a bigger priority than Alonso

I say get Alonso, but only if we get Wanyama or similar 1st

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I would say yes we should be in for him and yes it is something that needs considering.

Would a midfield of........

-----Lucas-----
    Gerrard---Alonso

Be too deep and slow or would the experience be valuable, if we are playing 4-3-3 I think it works but 4-4-2 then one of the 3 needs to be dropped, however Alonso and Gerrard in the middle may still work as both are good enough to know when to push forward and when to hold.

3. astro

astro Well-Known Member

FSG have done a lot of work reducing the wage bill and I wouldn't like that to be undone for an older player. I'm not against him coming on the right terms but the priority should be CB and CDM positions.

4. Milk Milk

Milk Milk Well-Known Member

Although Alonso played deep he was never an anchor or ball winner.

He was more of a deep play maker.

We either use Lucas or need pacier CBs.

I would defo bring Alonso back... but yes need new CBs... that's a given.

5. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

If Im honest Alonso or Wanyama, you may its crazy but I would say..... Wanyama..., hes what we need, and like Astro says lower wages with similar fee and 10 yrs younger

6. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Alonso is a world class player and is better than most of our midfielders. Shelvey, Henderson and Allen can all learn so much from him.

This squad does not possess many top class players - he will get the fans excited again, and will add much needed experience and composure to our central midfield which is still one of our weakest areas.

7. Neither here or there

Neither here or there Active Member

Think he will do a beckham and donate his wages to a charity(notably the Yanks pockets) ? <ok>

8. Redbrynner

Redbrynner Well-Known Member

I would get Alonso in for the following reasons:

1. He is a great player
    2. An early signing such as Alonso would display our intent to Luis and we will have a better chance of keeping him for next year
    3. He is a player who can come straight in and hit the ground running next season.
    4. Our young midfielders will learn loads from having him in the squad.

For me, Buy him.

9. I think Alonso is that good that he could make the difference between top four and not (depending on the defenders we buy) next season, therefore I would 100% sign Xabi. We can look at buying a younger model later <ok>

10. Ezio Auditore

Ezio Auditore Member

Alonso is world class for sure and a guaranteed starter for Spain every time. Miles better than Lucas and Joe Allen

11. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Joe Allen is already a legend Xabi could learn a lot from him.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

in this one occasion i wil disagree with my elder and better.

Wayama is a donkey.

I know what you are saying about a rangy, powerful player. BUT... this is xabi alonso. they amount of cover him and lucas would give our full backs! my god it'd make such a tactical and disciplinary difference.

Get me alonso.. don't bugger it up!

Actually get me hyppia and alonso and with our current team we'd deliver 4th no question in my mind.

Imagine it a yuong sami hyppia and even todays alonso

Reina
    johnson hyppia(esque) agger enrique
    lucas alonso
    suarez gerrard coutinho
    sturridge.

thats be sweet. now ok the bench is scary, sterling, henderson, jones, suso, downing, shelvey, coates, wisdom, kelly.... all young bar mr downing.

13. Ezio Auditore

Ezio Auditore Member

you reckon Skrtel will be on his way out? Or you just want someone else?

14. Skrtel had voiced his concerns in the media. Nor do I think BR rates him that highly. I think we could have better too. So a combination really <ok>

15. Ezio Auditore

Ezio Auditore Member

ohh do you have a link to it by any chance? just wanna see what he's said. Kelly might do alright replacing him

16. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Thank you for saving me time! <laugh>

17. Can't recall where I read it so googled it... LINK

Might be in the Daily Fail but it includes direct quotes <ok>

18. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

If we get a reasonable fee offered which I suspect will happen, Skrtel wont be an LFC player in September.He cant get in the side for a guy way past his best ,who is 6 weeks away from retirement, so I expect BR will offload in the summer

19. Especially if we can get £10m for him <ok>

20. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

If your answer is no to this thread, go to the doctors tomorrow and get yourself checked out for brain cancer.