1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alli in the England Squad

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by No Kane No Gain, Oct 1, 2015.

1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Along with Kane, of course.

Full squad:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).

Forwards: Danny Ings (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

If Hodgson does end up getting a new contract I do hope he gets the "Phil Jones must be picked in every squad" clause removed as it's really bizarre.

Should've been Dier and not Alli picked too but you know our England manager, he loves to pick the newest player to string together a few good performances. Not knocking Alli, I just think it should take more than a handful of games in the Premier League to get picked for England. Let the boy enjoy his football and play regularly in an appropriate age group rather than giving him 10 minutes against Estonia or Lithuania.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Alli and Dier should be running the midfield in the U21s.

3. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Dier who I unfairly labelled as average, is a player with a big future in the game as initially I didn't appreciate his overall ability.

He should develop into a commanding centre back with his improved reading of the game playing in midfield, while he clearly gets enjoyment from tackling, a natural defender. Whether he will prove me wrong and become a top defensive midfielder, I'm not sure, as playing well short term isn't proof, however he is doing a fine job of simply being a defensive shield.

Alli has an uncanny similarity to Jenas, not just in build but his general game, and let's not forget Jenas was rated as a player with great potential, he simply never fulfilled that potential and he was Yv's favourite box to box midfielder.

4. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

You're forgetting Paulinho <ok>

5. yidokev

yidokev Active Member

I rate Alli I think he will turn into a superb player but it really shows the state of English football that he get into the england squad after only starting 3 premier league games

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Hodgson's blind spot when it comes to Dier continues.

7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I'm quite surprised Dier isn't in it. Especially as he plays a position that England struggle in.

8. Spurfect

Spurfect Active Member

I'm supposed rose isn't in the squad, Im not sure but I don't think Bertrand has even played this season and Gibbs, will he's more likely to be injured than actually play.

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Rose hasn't been starting for us, to be fair to Hodgson.
    He didn't pick him when he was though, so **** him.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  10. NotSoMightyEastbourneBoro

Good call by Grealish to opt for England. Perennial shoe-ins Lampard and Gerrard are no more, Wilshere is injured again, a new look midfield is emerging and Ryan Mason is injured as well. Surely he might get a look in with the slow but steady Hodgson just goes for the latest shiny-shiny. Don't think he stands much chance at this rate.

11. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

I actually think he is very similar to the only player at Woolwich who I rate and wanted us to buy and that is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Just read that Alli's eligible to play for Nigeria and that John ****bag Fashanu tried to tap him up earlier in the year.
    Given that England have already qualified, perhaps this is a smart bit of forward planning by Hodgson?

13. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I rate Alli very highly. However, it does seem premature.

It could be, as PNP says, that Hodgson wants to secure him as an England player.

Of course, there is also the 'If you're good enough, you're old enough' school of thought.

14. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

The problem these days is that there are few top English players in the first teams of the top English clubs. If a player emerges at one of these clubs, Hodgson needs to look at him. He's not blessed with talented midfielders who can score goals.

And Hodgson always has to contend with around one third of his likely selections being unavailable for one reason or another at any given time. So he needs to look at players he might have to bring in in the event of absentees.

So get him in and let's have a look at him.

Spurf and The Changing Man like this.
  15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Hodgson has never been a fashionable choice as England manager. Too staid, too conventional, etc, etc.

Personally I think he is doing as good a job as any of the past incumbents and better than many. Picking Ali is another example of his willingness to consider young players and not wait until some mythical time when he will be 'mature'. Both Rooney & Owen had their best times playing for England as very young upstarts IMO.
    Only three games ago many of our fans were denouncing MP as an idiot for playing Dier in midfield, now Hodgson should have picked him for England yeah right!

Two decisions, both perfectly logical, both criticised, poor old Roy LOL you'd better win something otherwise it will be the usual haircut for you.

16. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Of course! I forgot, Hodgson doesn't have an O or an I at the end of his name so he can't be any good.

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Chuffed for Alli, although I think it's way too soon for him.

How Dier hasn't made it is beyond me, he put in another great performance and scored in front of Hodgson when we played City, you'd have thought that'd somewhat made him stand out.

Is Jones in the squad as a RB? Because with Jagielka, Smalling, Cahill and Stones I can't see why Hodgson would have 5 CB's and so if that's the case, how on earth has Walker not made the squad ahead of him? Jones doesn't even play for Utd does he? Walker has had a very good start to the season and has been part of one of the league's best defences early on... Some of Woy's decisions as England manager defy logic.

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If we look at it from the standpoint of securing a player's international future, then it needs to be asked why he has blind spots for Dier and Rose? Jamaica have been making overtures in Rose's direction, while Dier is eligible for Portugal.

19. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I guess you'd have to ask Woy for the answer to that one. In my view, Dier - possibly. I don't think Rose is good enough, not as a full back, anyway.

20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Can't stand the England set up. Hope owl face doesn't **** up our young players.