1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

All to Play For and we can play Without Fear

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by clingo, Mar 26, 2012.

1. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

It's probably my totally inadequate brain, but I don't understand what this rather wooly statement from Malky means.

To my mind, we have a squad (with one or two notable exceptions) that has been unable to lift itself after the Wembley adventure. It also occurs to me, that no matter how mentally and physically weary some of the squad are, there are certain players that are not going to get a look in until mathematics dictate otherwise.

Now I really don't want to put a downer on the achievements of the early part of the season when we surpassed all expectations with what was almost an entirely new staff, but I do worry as to what brief and targets have been given to Malky.

Your considered thoughts will be most welcome.

2. H bomb

H bomb Active Member

clingo...good to see you <ok>

Have to admit I haven't seen that quote but it is a little vague and open to interpretation.
    Positive H says we can go for it without fearing the opposition in our remaining game as we've turned a corner and can get the points needed for PO spot.
    Negative H says we shouldn't fear not making the PO's because its a building season.

hmmm, because of the "All to play for..." comment I'm going to stick with the positive <ok>

3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Could be a muddled explanation as to why Conway and some others aren't getting a look in.

4. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

In plain speak (in my opinion) with the exception of 2 players the others have not performed since the cup final. He isn't going to change the side because we're still in with a chance of a play off spot and the current squad is the best he has available. When we cannot get a play off spot he'll consider other players.

5. Goodbyen0t606

Goodbyen0t606 Active Member

Taff is spot on there. I want him to give some other guys a run, but while the playoffs are in sight he has to pick who he feels is his best XI. I thought DJ did this too much. Ignored form in favour of players he thought would come good.

I would like a formation change really. Have a go with a 442 with one midfielder dropping down to help the defence and then pushing forward (McPhail) and one forward dropping further back to help the midfield in defence and then getting deep into their box (Miller) and leaving Gestade as a target man. Whitts playing in the centre as a linking player who comes forward when we have clear possession.

No fear is a comment I don't get. It really sounds like we were not expecting to make it, but perhaps to be top half which appears safe.

6. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Tbf to MM, he has shuffled the pack a bit in the last few games, Conway is the only player who hasn't started any games that could have made a real difference imo he has also given Miller a rest (which I didn't think he would).
    I didn't see the Brum game but it sounds like our midfield functioned a bit more like it was earlier in the season which has to be a positive. Almost all the playoff contenders have been poor of late, possibly due to tiredness, which is another bonus.
    A win against Millwall Saturday puts us right in the mix again and we can try to push on from there. If we drop more home points I'm pretty sure we'll look back at these last few home games and realise that's where the PO place was lost.

7. Goodbyen0t606

Actually, thats true Stevo, and as we have said, I guess who could he play...Conway has been a suprise, and I do feel sorry for Darcy.

8. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

Hope I'm not bothering your thread Clingo .
    It probably means there wasn't really great expectations from the beginning & with all windows closed & Cup games settled , with great results , they can focus on getting to where no one thought they could get without undo pressure . Cheers !

9. Goodbyen0t606

We can agree with that, but it would seem logical to suggest that the goalposts have shifted, and now if we do not make the playoffs, it will be disappointing.

10. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

Personally i dont think the Malaysians were expecting anything else other than a top six finish, especially if we are leaking the supposed million per month, which i for one cannot work out, unless someone is trousering an absolute fortune.

11. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Hi Cracker. <ok> No, it's no bother at all fella.
    I agree about the initial expectations, but also agree with siam regarding how they changed, and to some extent, were allowed to do so.
    I also think that isawronnie makes a valid point and highlights that we're not really sure what the expectations at the club are.

Thanks for all the contributions folks. <ok>

12. ealing_ayatollah

I read it as no one left to play that we can't beat tbh. Didn't mm also say something along the lines of 'let's be honest its not like we have to play man utd'? Took it has positive but then my glass is always half full and I head to the bar to get a top as soon as I get that far into a pint anyway ;)

13. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

Well i see the Millwall game as a bit of a D Day for us. Millwall are a very unpredictable team to say the least, but with Henderson up front anything can happen, oh and by the way i know that hindsight is a funny old thing, but was Henderson at Watford with MM as he seems to tick all of the MM boxes.