1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

All the Germans

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, May 22, 2018.

1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I seem to remember that our squad can only include so many overseas players in a match day squad presumably to encourage home grown talent to emerge .

All the gossip is about even more Germans coming in, how many are we allowed to have in a match day squad ?

2. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

It's more about how many 'home-grown' players you must have isn't it? Think it's currently 6, about to be 7 in the match-day squad.

Presumably, then, you could have 11 Germans in that squad, so could start the game with all 11 of them! <laugh><ok>

(I laugh, but looks like it's true)

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

That's how I understand it although I thought it went from 6 to 7 before this season? there is also an added stipulation about having one club developed player, having been with the club for 3 years prior to their 21st birthday. I heard a rumour that this was being looked at and there is a will to make that 3 years before their 18th birthday. How this will fit with teams like Huddersfield that have abandoned even having an academy I don't know, but if an EFL club fails on the club developed player criteria, they will only be allowed 6 not seven substitutes.
    So yeah, all clubs can still field an XI with out an English or Welsh player, as long as their bench is packed with them. It's baby steps, but these are positive measures for E&W youngsters

Bah!

ncgandy and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  4. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Last season's status:

City’s ‘homegrown’ players – 12:
    Angus Gunn (loan), Sean Raggett, Grant Hanley, James Husband, Jamal Lewis, Harrison Reed (loan), Marcus Edwards (loan), Louis Thompson, James Maddison, Josh Murphy, Matt Jarvis, Marley Watkins

Loaned ‘homegrown’ players – 6: Remi Matthews, Russell Martin, Adam Phillips, Ben Godfrey, Todd Cantwell, Carlton Morris

Players who don’t qualify – 17: Michael McGovern, Ivo Pinto, Christoph Zimmermann, Timm Klose, Marcel Franke (on loan), Marco Stiepermann, Mario Vrancic, Tom Trybull, Alex Tettey, Kenny McLean (on loan), Wes Hoolahan, Onel Hernandez, Moritz Leitner (loan), Yanic Wildschut (on loan), Steven Naismith (on loan),Nelson Oliveira, Dennis Srbeny

As others have said, it's 6 homegrown players, plus a club-developed player. That last criteria shouldn't be a problem, Lewis and Matthews will surely be in most matchday squads.

As for the rest: Hanley and Murphy will make most squads, plus you'd expect one of Thompson or Godfrey, if not both. Beyond that whilst I'd expect us to have the players, it looks like it'll have a slight impact on who makes the bench. It's another reason why I could see Morris being involved this season.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looking at it, it's not impossible to have "club-developed" Germans, the criteria aren't that arduous. A player just has to be registered with a club for 12 months by the end of their U19 season. Nationality is irrelevant. Tristan Abrahams might well qualify shortly, despite only signing last summer. It depends on when the end of season is defined.

JM Fan likes this.
  6. ncgandy

To the tune of 'Parklife': :emoticon-0159-music

All the Germans
    So many Germans
    And they all go hand in hand
    Hand in hand through Carrow Road

Groovy <ok>

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Are you new to this regime?

Hand in hand in hand

Farke life

8. ncgandy

Very new, still trying to make sense of it all. It's not easy.

9. ncgandy

Actually it's not worth it much of the time really (new or not)

10. ncgandy

So dunk your donuts in that <ok>