1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

All gone quiet over there

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BluefromBridgend, Sep 2, 2020.

1. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Apart from some friendly wins against mainly lower level clubs does anyone else, like me, think it has been the quietest pre-season in memory?

It was bound to be a bit flat with no fans allowed in to watch games, no tour - not even to Cornwall - and no final home game against a quality foreign team.

Looks like we did okay in the friendlies, at least we weren't embarrassed, and the players were able to bond but it can't be said we were tested in any way.

As fans we feel we still need 2 or 3 signings with a couple to leave but apart from Birmingham's apparent interest in Etheridge it is all still on the transfer front.

Perhaps Harrs' and Dalman's messages about frugality in spending have come home to roost and our young players will have their chance this season. If so I hope they are up to it. If not it could be a tough season especially when so many teams seem much more active in the market than us. Maybe management are happy with the overall squad strength after the run in and playoff performances and don't see the need for more signings?

Some say no news is good news but as fans a bit of a whiff of transfer news or anything else of interest is what keeps us going until the season gets under way.

Time will tell.

clingo and Oldsparkey like this.
  2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It looks to me that the squad that Harris has already got is more than capable of a top ten finish, but is that good enough? The question is whether we can go that extra mile and claim a playoff spot let alone autos without a couple of key position additions.

With the transfer window remaining open until October 16th there may be an element of "wait and see" how it goes creeping in - possibly common sense financially but could be a mistake that comes back to haunt us. Unless your a top half Premier club where money appears to be no object, the issues of this past 6 months has made most clubs very cautious.

There's pretty much a concensus amongst supporters regarding where we need to strengthen, but it'll take some decent money to improve on what we've got - and that's if they become available if we wait.

It may just be that anyone who is prepared to commit and push the boat out will reap the rewards of their investment this season. Hope we don't leave it too late and regret the lack of sensible ambition.

clingo likes this.
  3. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

True but the transfer window is still barely ajar.
    I think our squad will see some changes - both in and out - by 16th October.

clingo likes this.
  4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Can you keep the noise down please!

This is the lull before the promotion storm.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  5. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

AB2B20F7-7F83-4669-BB85-5CA4084F6520.jpeg

Who’s a lull pal? :emoticon-0103-cool:

6. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

If harris can get Murphy firing we're still short another 10 and a right back.
    Hoping the young guns will become squad players before kicking on.
    Mark Harris seems to have had plenty of minutes.
    Might be the surprise we need.

7. william5551

william5551 Well-Known Member

I think we have a new tea lady.just saying.

ccfcremotesupport and clingo like this.
  8. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed, but I've noticed the Championship now has to fall in line with the Prem in naming a 25 man squad which can't change until January.

It doesn't apply to young players being brought through, so the youngsters could still be played from outside the named 25.

clingo likes this.
  9. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Only for cup games apparently.

10. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Have to agree that our pre-season has been very low key really and seems more about building minutes and bonding than actually facing any real stern tests from "quality" opposition (no offence meant to the teams we've played intended).

There were a few youngsters used yesterday in the absence of others as well as a more fluid sounding formation...

Think we'll be seeing the next step in our evolution this season but I also don't doubt that it will come with several bumps and hurdles along the way.

We do still seriously need a more experienced right back and ideally cover for Tomlin but I reckon that will depend on us offloading now too.

Fun times ahead.

clingo and ccfcremotesupport like this.

11. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Id missed that.
    Not a bad thing to be fair.

They should do similar with number of loanees. Fewer loan players allowed in the prem.

I theory, you could get promoted with half a team of loan players. Following season you need to buy like hell to plug the gaps. Get relegated then sell, sell, sell.
    Doesnt lend itself to sensible long term planning.

Im feeling optomistic about the season ahead.

clingo likes this.