1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ali Al-Habsi on verge of permanent move to Wigan

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Wigan are close to finally completing the permanent signing of goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi from Bolton in a £4million move.

The Latics are thought to be preparing a final £4million bid after accepting that their Lancashire rivals were not going to budge on the asking price for the Oman goalkeeper.

There has been weeks of negotiations behind the scenes as Wigan attempted to bring Al Habsi back to the DW Stadium after an impressive season on loan at the club last term.

The Trotters rejected Wigan’s third and most recent bid of £3.7million. Manager Owen Coyle thinks that has given the message that he will not be accepting any less the the full £4million.

"We haven't shifted one iota, so Wigan have known since the very start where they need to get to," said Coyle.

"If they are edging closer, then they are only doing that because they have known what they have to do from the outset.

"If they get to a place where we're all happy, then there might be some business done.”

2. ReallyReal

ReallyReal Member

Haggling over the last few quid, that's so Dave Whelan.
    Ali will be an awesome signing for us as he gives the defence some confidence, something they've not had for a couple of years now, I just hope we can keep hold of the rest of our first team, or at least get FAIR transfer fees if they go.

3. Mattress

Mattress New Member

In fairness, Dave Whelan does still have to try and balance the books, and the few quid mentioned is 7.5% of the final fee, and is hardly small change. I do agree though, it will be an awesome signing - Ali, as far as I'm concerned, saved our season, and can only bring confidence to the rest of the squad, and 4 million is great business I think. Like you say, ReallyReal, fingers crossed we don't lose half the first team over the next few weeks.

4. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

if its true that ali is on the verge of signing for us for 4 mill then that is a good bit of business and that is definatley so dave whelan...

5. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

If you have an extra keeper now , send him our way as we've lost our shot stopper to the Wolves

6. connor wigham

connor wigham Active Member

we have what 2 keepers now?

7. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

I thought you guys signed a half dozen of them over the past few seasons . Whatever happened to that Liverpool guy with the cute little hat Lol !!

8. Blue_Since_62

Blue_Since_62 New Member

Anybody know what's happening with this transfer? Various papers keep saying we are on the verge of paying the £4m Bolton are holding out for, but the Wigan Observer says Whelan's offer of £3.? m (less than £4m) is the final and highest offer. I admire Whelan for not being stupid, but I'd be gutted if we lost the man who almost single-handedly kept us in the Prem for the sake a few quid. If Whelan hopes to get £15m for N'Zogbia - and even if that's optimistic it will surely be around £10m - splash the cash on Ali and lets' move on.
    Or how about move on some of the deadlegs in the squad and free up some cash. I heard Koumas, De Ridder and Steven Caldwell are going, anyone know if it's true? Anyone else we could do without in your opinions?

9. sonjack5

sonjack5 New Member

Hi Blue! He has put on twitter that there has been no official decision and he is back in the uk early July. I know that isn't really a great update but its the best I've got

10. connor wigham

hopefully we can get a big name player to help us out and bring fans in how much is landon donovon that whould be a class signing

11. batch

batch New Member

Donovan is hardly a name, not one that would bring in the fans anyway.

MLS want something stupid like £8m for him too.

12. connor wigham

in teems of names i cant think of anyone but my mate told me messi is on his way to wigan for a medical now... ;)