1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Alcohol Consumption

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Nov 30, 2020.

1. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

My wife used to me like that, so I brought the fridge into the living room

2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I’m never been bothered with units. If I’m thirsty I’ll have a pint. If I’m knackered after a day at work I’ll have a pint. After golf I’ll have a pint. Before during and after watching the football I’ll have a pint. If I’m having a meal I’ll have a pint. If I’m on holiday whatever I’m doing I’ll have a pint.
    Lager, IPA or cider I don’t care.
    Often or not I’ll have some wine, red, white, rose whatever but not that Prosecco stuff.
    Quite partial to a glass of malt, gin with a bit of tonic, vodka even and the odd tot of brandy.

Oldsparkey and BluefromBridgend like this.
  3. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Horse WTF? Now you bring it up....how about at the business end pal, can you still rise to the occasion...do you envy Masky the magnificent? :emoticon-0103-cool:

4. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff OS, I’ve been asked by the forum as I’m the representative....who is the most miserable b’sted then? :emoticon-0103-cool:

5. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Masky to self......

Mirror, mirror on the wall......

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed Nin - I'm not a unit counter myself, though I respect the concern that those involved with health issues, social problems and the dependancy that excessive alcohol causes. I only looked at and worked out my own "personal number crunching" because of the massive excess consumption of one of my friends I mentioned earlier - now he has a real problem.

I was taught at an early stage in my working life that there's a difference between scratching your arse and tearing flesh.

It's the same principle here - zero alcohol may be ideal and the ultimate goal of the Temperance Movement, but quality of life (however you see that) is about more than abstinence from alcohol, excessive food and dare I say it, even cigarettes for that matter. It's about being given the options, being sensible and aware - the rest is up to the individual.

ninian opinion and irishbluebird like this.
  7. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

I've dropped a lot of alcohol bit by bit over the last ten years or so. When working inn Russia I was putting a couple of pints away every day followed by a bottle of wine and the inevitable occasional vodka. The last was fairly rare but came in chunks when it did.......would be half a bottle at least in toasts at celebrations. #...often with something else missed in as well. I started to get a bit worried when after half a bottle, a couple of pints and some wine I could wake up and get off early without any comeback or hangover!!!! When I came back to Frankfurt almost permanently I would share a bottle of wine every might with the missus but we stopped that when we realised she had a glass and I sorted the rest. Nowadays, alcohol is consumed only when we have guests for dinner.......but then in spades. Little beer these days since the prostate makes things very embarrassing .....back and forth every 15 minutes makes for disjointed conversations. I am trying to increase my water intake to two bottles a day but, again, once one breaks the seal it is endless bog runs.
    I an 5 8 and 98 kgs so would qualify as obese on BMI but feel Ok. I was told at the doctor's that it is less important these days and more what people are comfortable with. Could happily change my shape but covid belly makes this a struggle!!!! I live in hope of a new regime once we can get back to the gym!!!!

Oldsparkey and irishbluebird like this.
  8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Great stuff sausageman. <ok>

Went for a check up with the doc summer 2019 after I'd had a severe attack of vertigo brought on by what I now know as vestibular neuritis whilst on a holiday break. Had to call a local GP out (temporary registration blah blah - what a bloody palaver that was!) because I couldn't drive - in fact I couldn't stand up at the time without throwing up - terrible experience and it wasn't the beer....<laugh>.

The doc that did come out checked me out to confirm the problem, but mentioned at the time that my BP was high and get it checked out when I got back home. I had no idea, hence my trip to my GP on return - it was 200 systolic. <yikes><yikes>

The usual questions were thrown at me about lifestyle, habits etc and the inevitable alcohol question cropped up. I told him as it was and he didn't see a problem with it at all - in fact he said the amount I was drinking could have a hypotensive effect rather than hyper. My blood sugars were normal but of far greater concern to him was my high BP and cholesterol level of 6.6 (Tchol).

Went on calcium channel blockers for the blood pressure and a low dosage of atorvastatin for the cholestrol and it worked - BP is now in the 120's and Tchol down to 3.4. These factors are very very important, and as far as I'm concerned, everything else is a bonus - and that includes the drinks. <ok>

irishbluebird likes this.
  9. ninian opinion

It’s always an awkward question by the medics to answer

“So do you drink alcohol?”
    Yes
    “Ok on average how many units do you drink each week?”
    Mmmm about the average? <whistle>

10. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Some time ago I bought my mrs a pair of wine glasses that hold more than a bottle of wine each.
    Saves embarassment.
    Sure doc, the odd glass of wine during the week and a couple more on weekends.:emoticon-0114-dull:

ninian opinion likes this.

11. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I've got one of those somewhere.

If only I could remember where I put it.

Hic!!!!!

12. FrankfurterBlue

I'm struck by what a bunch of unhealthy old bastards we are who live a life of debauchery and drunkenness!!!!! And it's all supported by tablets, no doubt. I had a couple of tablets daily in the UK under the NHS but when I transferred to Germany and under a Russian GP, I now have 6 a day. His approach is prevention being better than cure and he picked up somewhere that blood thinners, sugar and blood pressure medication prevents ten years each off a man aiming for 80. Having had low BP all my life I was measured on my first visit in Germany at 147 over 95 and away he went.....altho' he did explain that by white coat factor. I now dip in at about 130m over 80 unless the pretty little lady in the docs does the measuring after I've rushed up the stairs!!!!

Oldsparkey likes this.
  13. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Ive always felt that you have a natural life expectancy with a propensity for certain ailmants and conditions.
    Abuse your body and you may lose a year or two. No alcohol, no fatty meats, no chocolates and you may add a year or two.
    To be honest, for the sake of a couple years, I'll stick with the beer and red meat.
    Its all about quality of life.

Posted this before.
    Guy goes to the doc and says he wants to live to be 100.
    Doc says to give up women, fags and alcohol.
    Guy asks if that will allow him to live to 100.
    Doc says no, but it will seem like it.

I don't want to live to 100. I just want quality of life until I curl my toes up, be that 70, 80 or 90. No way do I want to 'exist' just to rack up a few more years.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Bugger that going to the docs for a BP check Furter. Bought my own Omron electronic BP monitor (only about 40 quid) over a year back to keep an eye on it when I was made aware of the problem.

Not at all obsessive about it, just aware of the BP implications on cardiovascular events and even things like kidney damage and eyesight degeneration for the future. It sits quietly on my desk and I pop it on now and again to check it out.

Mind you, I never check it when City are playing......<laugh>

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Agree remote. It's not about being irresposnsible - just being sensible and get on with your life. <ok>

16. FrankfurterBlue

Sparkey.....I have an Omron and use it regularly. The doc does one every time I go for a 3 month check on bloods......a condition of the annual reduction in my health insurance payment reduction of a mighty 10 euros!!!

Oldsparkey likes this.
  17. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I drink about 4-5 cans of 5% lager most days which I know is too much. I sometimes have the odd glass of red, but that's mostly instead of, rather than in addition to, one of the cans. I drink slightly more at weekends and slightly less during the week.
    I sometimes go a few days without, but not often enough to pretend I'm actually healthy. Interestingly I don't feel better for it at all - except perhaps I have more mental enthusiasm for things.
    I drink lots of water too - about 3-4 pints per day, plus a few coffees. In last summer's lockdown I was aware I was REALLY going overboard, so I got onto the Heineken Zeros - not bad for a 0% beer and MUCH better than trying to drink Coke, Lemonade or any other soft drink - none of which I can stand - they're absolutely vile and probably just as bad for you in other ways. Again, not trying to pretend I'm healthy, just saying.......

I have the occasional 'blowout' session on special occasions, when I can drink up to 10-12 pints before feeling like I've had enough. These don't happen often (about 5 or 6 times a year).
    I NEVER go out with the intention of getting drunk - unlike the younger generation who see drunkeness as a desired end state. I simply 'go with the flow' and stop when I've had enough.
    I rarely drink anything other than beer - the occasional glass of wine (as mentioned above) and a VERY rare brandy or other spirit - one or two at Christmas maybe - or some other special event.

I know I drink too much. No excuses. I simply LOVE beer.

18. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

I have an Ardon...my BP rises, and three mins later.....gone! :emoticon-0103-cool:

irishbluebird and DaiJones like this.
  19. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

You need to make the most of that magic 3 mins then Masky...... :emoticon-0165-muscl

20. ninian opinion

You’ve got to question what on earth possessed a wurzel fan to be 1. on our site 2. to scroll down to a thread not touched since December 2nd and 3. open up to us about his drinking.:emoticon-0138-think

Great post though <cheers>