1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

AJ to sign a new contract

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Craven112, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Craven112

Craven112 Member

so it looks like AJ is staying on and is to be BZ partner in the up and coming season.
    Whats everyones thought on this then?

i for one am not the biggest AJ fan but if he can turn my head around and takes a pay cut (which i doubt) then im willing to give a little chance of changing my mind

2. valjing

valjing Member

Worst news i have heard all week

3. Craven112

Craven112 Member

Thought you would of said that Val, lol

4. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Re-inforced by his performance today. To which I'd add that Jol's substitution strategy is quite bemusing.

5. valjing

valjing Member

Those around me were somewhat mystified by the rumour that Aj is to
    be offered a new contract,you cannot judge this guy on this seasons performances
    against teams,that are 1st or 2nd division quality at best.
    My and others views, who were at todays match hope that this announcement will spur someone
    (heaven knows who to put in a bid )

6. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

Agree, and the sooner we get rid off him the better. 4-4-2 with him up front is a disaster!

7. WhatDoesWoyWant?

He looked much better yesterday (as much as it pains me to admit that)

8. Cottager58

Don't agee WDWW. Just can't help but wonder what could have been if he hadn't been there.

But hey, it's only one game. Really good you managed to get to see it after all the other troubles last week.

9. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I've always thought of Andrew Johnson as a converted winger, in that he can run and chase but for me he doesn't have that goal instinct like say a Defoe.

Jol seems to like him so if he is about to sign a contract it would seem he will not be sold to get his wages off the bill as has been suggested.

10. Penguin

Penguin Member

I agree SBM - he is a winger in build, pace etc rather than a striker. As you say, Jol seems really keen on him although I just can't see why, especially given how much he costs us.

11. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Yes cheers Cottager58 a lovely day out for all.

When I say 'He looked much better yesterday', I was comparing this to the AJ we have seen in our qualification games, I would just like to emphasise that in no way do I think AJ is suddenly the man to help us acheive what we want

I would still ship him out given half a chance, Jol however obviously has different ideas!

12. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

I'm still in the minority who thinks we should keep AJ. We have to accept that his 21 goal season for Palace 6-7 years ago was a one off - he hasn't even made double figures since his first season at Everton - and that the fee we paid for him represents poor value for money. However, we could sell AJ for £2-3m and spend twice that on a replacement who's no better - I've just read that Bolton have bid £6m for Cameron Jerome. As I see it, there are two ways to solve our striker problem. Either we take a punt on a player that no one's heard of for a few mil and hope he turns out to be the next Javier Hernandez rather than the next Eddie Johnson, or we spend £20m+ on someone in the Darren Bent class who can come in and do the business straight away. If we do the first, we need AJ in case the new guy takes time to settle or turns out to be a disaster. If we do the second, AJ can still do a job as cover and off the bench. We need at least two new strikers before we can sell him.

13. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

And let's not forget, our last attempt at the 'spend big money on someone who can come in and do the business straight away' strategy was signing AJ!

14. Cottagecravens

I certainly did not think AJ would come in and get loads of goals. Everton couldn't wait to get rid. Moyes knew this and pulled the wool over Hodgson's eyes. Moyes even put him on the wing in the latter stages. AJ didn't score goals there and wont at Fulham either.

15. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Well it looks like we're stuck with him, but if the new striker that Jol hopes to get comes in and impresses, then I have no problem with AJ as a backup.

16. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

AJ can do a job, no doubt, Jol wouldn't have kept him if he couldn't see a role - he may be more effective as an impact sub - quick fresh legs after about 70 mins.

17. Cottager58

Spot on Fulhaman. Unless of course we could get a few bob and save £30k a week. Apparently QPR desparately need a front runner.

18. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Let's be realistic Cottager, the raggeds need a new front runner, a new defence, a new board, a new ground..........